A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help please, with Elann's Pinwheel Sweater-Adult Version  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 04, 2007 04:38:31 AM »

Hi all,    Roll Eyes

I'm in the process of making Elann's Pinwheel Sweater. The adult version. I'm quite petite and I'm almost at the point where, I should be putting the holes for the sleeves. I'm on colour #4 now.
But before I get there (only a few more rounds to go), I had a few questions, in the hopes that somebody could help me out.   Smiley

(a-Was I supposed to change colours at the beginning of every 18th round? Or, at the end of every 18th round?
I changed colours at the beginning of every 18th round and yet, I'm not certain if my sleeve placements will end up being where they should be. At roughly 20 inches across.

b)-If I need to move my sleeve placement and continue to knit further along to get the right size, is that ok?
For example: I should be putting my sleeves at roughly 20 inches across the back. If where it says to place the sleeves and I'm not at 20 inches across yet, could I continue if I need to and place the sleeves at 31 sts. between increases if necessary? Or at 32 sts, or at 33 sts, as opposed to the suggested 30 sts between increases in the pattern?

c)-If I need to continue to knit further in order to get the 20 inches for my sleeve placement, won't this make larger sleeves? For example: If I need to use 31, 32 or, 33 sts between the yo's to get my 20 inches across the back, won't that make a much larger sleeve? Instead of the recommended 30 sts between each yo for each sleeve, I'd have more sts for each sleeve. That wouldn't be good for me because I'm so tiny.

d)-Is there a way to keep the sleeves the same size as in the original pattern (on the small side), if I need to continue and use 31 or more sts between yo's, to get my 20 inches across the back?

e)-When I'm ready to cast on 30 stitches (or more) using a provisional cast on for each sleeve, won't there be a couple of extra yo's left over from the previos round? If so, how do I incorporate them into the next round?  Huh It says to cast on 30 sts using a provisional cast on and yet, each previous round section is 31 sts.

f)-I will do the Provisional Cast On, using a crochet hook that's the same size as my knitting needle. How can I find out what crochet hook size I need, to match my knitting needle size 6mm? They're supposed to be of equal size.

I'm sorry to post so many questions but, this is my first piece of clothing that I'm knitting. Other than hats.  Cheesy
I'd really like to avoid what could end up being errors and nighmares for me, along the way.
Being kinda a newbie, I need all the help that I can get.  lol.
Thank you so much. I'd appreciate any help and/or advice from anybody who's made this sweater before.
Or even if you haven't, your advice could still be very helpful to me as, I don't have the experience that many of you do.   Grin

P.S.-I'm sorry that most of this showed up in bold. I don't know what I did wrong.  Undecided
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007 07:35:17 AM »

a- dunno, I used just one color, but you can change the colors wherever you want.
b- yes, keep knitting until the sweater's as wide as you need it across the back.
c- If you don't need larger sleeves, use less stitches; you don't have to use all the ones in a section.
d- yes, just BO/CO the amount of sts you need.
e- don't worry about the YOs; it sounds like you won't be needing all the sts in that section for the sleeves.
f- 6mm needles is about a size 10 or J in a hook.

An easier way to do the sleeves that puts sts on a holder and does a provisional CO is this: When you get to the section for them, use some scrap yarn to knit across the stitches you need for the sleeves, then turn and knit back across those same stitches. Then turn again and pick up your sweater yarn, knit across the sleeve stitches and continue on to the next sleeve. When you're done with the body, remove the scrap yarn and put the stitches on your needles.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007 08:57:37 AM »

soozeq to my rescue once again.  Grin Thanks so much, for all of your help AGAIN. lol. I've written down what you said as a reference, for when I get to that point.
I also appreciate the tip that you gave me at the end. Thanks, it'll come in real handy.  Cheesy

My main concern now is if I do manage to get my 20 inches around at exactly where it should be, for my sleeve placement.
If it works out the same as in the pattern.
It says to cast on 30 stitches using a provisional cast on-this will be the sleeve later. But each section in the round below, well actually 2 rounds below because there's a plain knit round in between.
So each section before that, had 31 stitches in it.
So, what happens to the extra YO that's left over after casting on only 30 stitches per sleeve?   Huh At 30 stitches per sleeve, that would leave 2 extra YO's at the end of that round wouldn't it?
If so, would anyone know how I could fix that?

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 10:28:14 AM »

It doesn't matter, they're part of the sweater, not the sleeves, so just knit them. You're overthinking... pick up those needles and yarn and get knitting! It'll be easier to see how it works out when you get there.

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007 04:54:23 PM »

There is a KAL going on with this pattern here : http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=189521.0
You might want to check that out as well.

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Fuller Lips
Meet the First Ever Doll with Natural Hair
Jennifer Lopez Reveals Her Fitness Tips
The Only 3 Style Rules You Need to Know
Laura Mercier Brightening Powder Review
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...