A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt with underskirt, how would you make this?  (Read 1055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaberella
« on: September 03, 2007 09:48:29 AM »

I'd like to make this skirt. I know the top skirt is shirred, not sure if the underskirt is shirred but it's certainly loose, and not sure if the band at the waist is attached to the underskirt or attached over both after the fact. So I just wondered if you saw this and wanted to make it how would you proceed?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007 09:49:08 AM by jaberella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007 11:21:44 AM »

To me -and anyone feel free to weigh in on this- I'm sure the underskirt is shirred also.  It appears to match the width/fullness of the overskirt.

To make this skirt I would...

1.  Cut both layers the same width.
2.  Sew up the back seam on each.
3.  Hem each skirt (usually I would do this last, but with the double layers, I think it would be easier/quicker to get the hem level at this point.
4.  Line up your back seams and the top edge of your material.
5.  Baste the layers together just below the raw edge.

Now at this point you need to decide how to finish your waistband.  It looks to me like that they used a separate piece of the underskirt material to make theirs.  So basically a long skinny rectangle of material (picture a strip of double fold bias tape, only extra, extra wide).  That would give you this smoother look.

If you aren't as picky (and if your underskirt fabric looks good from either side), my suggestion would be to roll the top of your two layers of skirts down.  This way you could tuck the raw edge under again, thus hiding it, sew around the skirt leaving a small opening, then feed your elastic in.  So you're basically letting the elastic do the shirring for you.  This is the quick and easy way to do this.

The fancier, more finished way would be to gather the two layers and sew a waist band on once you have gathered the skirt to the right size.

*But* you might want to check the description of this skirt where you found it.  Does is have a button or zipper?  If so, this just got more complicated.  If not, then I bet that it has elastic in the back (so a kid could get it on).  Then you're just adding elastic in the back of the waistband, and sewing it at the sides to keep it in place.

I'm begining to get lost, and I even know what I mean.  Could you follow any of that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
jaberella
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007 06:12:03 PM »

I totally follow you and I think I want to make a straight band for the waist and shirr both skirts but, yes, then I need to figure out the button/zipper or stretchy back. I have never tried making a stretchy waist in only the back. I'm not sure I even know how to do that.. I guess I would feed it into the back section of the band and secure it into the side seams I just have to take that elastic into account when deciding how much extra fabric to leave for the shirring. Usually it's double. Maybe I just do 1 times the amount of fabric instead of twice the amount? UGH. I should maybe stick to patterns Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutga11ery
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 08:07:17 PM »

I'd like to make this skirt. I know the top skirt is shirred, not sure if the underskirt is shirred but it's certainly loose, and not sure if the band at the waist is attached to the underskirt or attached over both after the fact. So I just wondered if you saw this and wanted to make it how would you proceed?

I'm not sure how *it* was made but I'd make a sep fold over waistband, and I'd gather both skirts and encase them in the waistband.  Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenniferL
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007 01:07:53 PM »

You could add the band to the bottom of the top fabric.  It's a "faux" underskirt.  It won't have the extra fullness that a double skirt would have but it is a lot easier and takes less fabric.  There was a THREADS magazine article on this a couple years ago (May 2006) on the issue of fancy hems.  You might find it at your library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vespa Velma
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007 09:42:25 AM »

I recently did something similar, basing it off of a skirt my daughter already had. I encased the skirt in a separate waistband but that was b/c I messed up a bit and it was the easiest way to cover my faux pas. I also used elastic in the band.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaberella
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007 04:48:47 PM »

My Mom had a great idea, she said shirr the two skirts together, just make one longer than the other. I never thought of that!! This way they would both shirr the same amount and lay the same way (the same dips and valleys). And then add the band at the top. I just have to take the fabric to a store to match the underskirt cloth and then I will try it and let you all know what I ended up with. I thank you all for taking the time to think about this with me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Corn on the Cob Cupcakes Recipe
How to Make a Traditional Pumpkin Pie
How to Make Simple Peanut Butter Cookies
Strawberry-Banana Sherbet Recipe
How to Make Traditional Buttermilk Beignets
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...