A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Lopi too itchy to wear against the skin?  (Read 404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PrettyCranium
« on: September 03, 2007 06:40:11 AM »

I have some extremely beautiful Lopi yarn that I was thinking about knitting up into a simple sweater (V-necked deep-ribbed sweater from Fitted Knits).  It's burgandy and tweeded with little flecks of multi-colours.  My swatch looks great.

I've never knit with Lopi before, and it feels quite itchy.  Does it soften up with washing?  Would it be better suited for something like a cardigan that would be worn on top of something else?

Also, how warm would a Lopi sweater be?  I'm thinking it would be too warm to wear a long-sleeved shirt under without broiling.

Thanks for your help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007 08:10:01 AM »

Also, how warm would a Lopi sweater be?  I'm thinking it would be too warm to wear a long-sleeved shirt under without broiling.

I assume you live somewhere that's not cold?  Layering is a must in winters that fall below 0 C/32 F regularly.

The warmth of a sweater will depend on how you knit it.  I have a sweater from Iceland (generally where lopi hails from) that was done on big needles and was great with 1 long sleeve shirt under it on a windy, 40 F day in Iceland (it was spring for them!).  If it had been done in a smaller needle size, I think it would have been much warmer.  I find lopi can be itchy, but then, I have skin that's sensitive to irritants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iameannis

Mais, je m'appelle pas Ferdinand!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007 09:16:46 AM »

Fiber experts, feel free to jump in here.
In my personal experience, I would opt to wear something under a sweater made of Lopi.
I made a duster sweater out of the bulky Lopi (Reynolds Lopi), and it was an extremely scratchy knit. It did seem to soften up after being worked up into a fabric and blocked. But, again, I was using the bulky Lopi and I used huge needles to knit a looser fabric.
I also think that Lopi is supposed to be a very warm yarn because there's a lot of loft/airspace between the fibers. This space traps your body heat and keeps you "insulated." Therefore, I think that a sweater knit at a close guage (like the fitted knits sweater you suggested) would keep you very warm. I think it would look beautiful with Lopi, but you may want to knit it a little bigger so that you could fit a cami or a tshirt underneath to ward off the itchyness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrettyCranium
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007 01:13:05 PM »

I assume you live somewhere that's not cold?  Layering is a must in winters that fall below 0 C/32 F regularly.

Actually, I live in Canada, so cold winters are pretty much normal for me Grin .  I guess it won't be a problem!  My main issue is usually when I go from the cold outside to the inside of a building where the heat is cranked way up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007 10:40:58 PM »

One way to find out if a yarn is too itchy is to cut off a piece of it and thread it through a charm/bead to make a necklace.  Then wear it for a day or two and see how it feels... you might find that it annoys you, or you might be ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Practice Enables Mastery in a Creative Career - Bijoy Goswami
Boris - One World
LEGO Lord of the Rings Toy Review
Bill T. Jones on the Evolving Theater Culture
Michael Yeargan on Creating the American Ring of the Nibelung
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...