A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necklaces - dragons, wolf, bears  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2007 04:03:07 AM »

I had the opportunity to go to Shipwreck Beads brick-and-mortar store yesterday, which is seriously like a birthday made of candy for me.  I never get out of there for under $100, that store is like kryptonite to me.

I think I posted the wolf necklace before, but he's in here again because I batch uploaded everything.  My jewelry is so not vegan friendly, I do use real bones and claws whenever I have the opportunity.  Apologies if it upsets anyone.

Black and red bear choker.  The black beads are bone, as are the spacers.  The dark round beads are a very deep garnet colored glass.  There are also some hematite beads, and the claws flanking the pendant are made of solid hematite.  The pendant is .925 silver, and depicts a roaring grizzly bear with a northwest bear mask below.  It ties closed with wonderfully soft deersuede straps.  I think this necklace would look fantastic on a guy.

Denali wolf.  This necklace is built with bone beads, and is colored with both lapis lazuli and sodalite stone beads.  The pendant is .925 silver, and depicts a howling wolf over a northwest wolf mask.  There are two claws flanking the pendant, and are real wolf claws from my trip up to Alaska earlier in the year.  It ties with deersuede straps.

Dragon and Bear.  This is my personal necklace, a remake of the one I posted about a week back.  I had to adjust the fit by removing some beads on the top row and moving the ties to the top row.  The long beads are foot bones from black bears, and the claws are real black bear claws.  There are lots of hematite beads with the bones, I absolutely love how hematite looks with bone.  The green tube beads are dyed bone.  The pendant is .925 silver, and is a regal dragon wrapped around a hematite donut.  It ties with green deersuede straps.  This necklace really does have a "life," so to speak.  Once I've been wearing it for a few minutes and it has warmed up to my body temperature, it feels like I'm not wearing any necklace at all.  The hematite and bone conduct the heat so well, it seems to have a pulse when I finally do take it off and hold it, still warm.

Matching hairsticks to go with my dragon and bear choker.  The sticks themselves are carved bone, and the beads are hematite with some green wooden ones.  The silver bear face is a Haida design that I picked up in Juneau.  It's really light!  And my hair is finally long enough to wear up in sticks, which is nice.

Tiger-eye Grizzly.  I made this necklace because I wanted to experiment with these wonderful bear-track buttons I found at JoAnn's.  The long harepipes are made of carved horn, the round beads are tiger's eye, and the spacers are bone.  I'm not sure what the buttons are made of, but the pendant is .925 silver, and is a grizzly bear head.  It's hard to get a good picture of the pendant.  This necklace ties with deersuede straps, and would look great on a guy.

Shereth's necklace.  I made this for my brother's boyfriend, it's my way of welcoming him to the family.  I was told that he liked silver, blue, and dragons, so I came up with this piece for him.  It's made of bone, hematite, fiberoptic horns, metal beads, and a .925 silver dragon.  I hope he likes it.

Soreth's necklace.  This is my brother's necklace in it's umpteenth incarnation.  I've been building and rebuilding this necklace for years now, every so often he'll come by for repairs or upgrades, and I'm always happy to oblige.  The current version is made with bone (the same bone beads he's always had on there, so they've aged beautifully, with that wonderful translucent glow to them), tiger's eye, purple goldstone (the sparkly beads), hematite, glass, metal beads, agate horns, and the infinity dragon pendant.  I purposefully made Shereth's necklace similar to Soreth's, because I think it's cute.

Lava dragon.  Have you ever found beads that *scream* to be used for /something/?  That's what these lava beads did for me.  I had no idea what I was going to use them for, but the gorgeous dark matte black color was irresistable.  I spaced them with red glass beads, put on some matte black claws/horns, and then the silver dragon.  I think I'm going to give this to a friend for his birthday, seeing as he loves dragons, and his favorite colors are red and black.

Hematite dragon.  I've been using this pendant for years on various necklaces, and right now it's on this choker.  The spacers and round beads are hematite, and the tube beads are dyed bone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
adyldrop
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007 05:04:23 AM »

These are beautiful! Wish i had a store like that near me! They remind me of that movie The Last of the Mohegans! I love stuff that has that natural look to it. Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pearlescent
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007 05:15:52 AM »

WOW they are amazing! Definitely got a THIS ROCKS from me...

I so wish the UK would have stores like that, no one seems to know there's a market for that kind of stuff in the UK Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 03:13:26 AM »

adyldrop:  If you're ever up in the pacific northwest and have the opportunity to visit Shipwreck, by all means go!  It's the largest bead store in the entire world, literally a bead store the size of a grocery store. I was overwhelmed by the awesomeness of it all, and it's taken me a few visits to learn where everything is.  They even mixed beads in with the cement they paved the walkway up to the store with, so it's a walk up a beaded path to the most amazing bead-topia.  The local Craftsters sometimes have organized trips down there, although I haven't gone along for one of those yet.
Thanks for the compliment on my work.  The native style choker is my absolute favorite kind of necklace to work on, partly because there really aren't many other people making them.  The mass produced stuff just looks so...generic.

Pearlescent:  Bummer that there isn't anything big like Shipwreck over there in the UK.  One of my great vices is finding craft stores whenever I'm out traveling, just in case there's some treasure I can't get back home.  Someone should organize a "bead supplies" swap so people can expand their supply library.  I hoard my beads like a dragon hoards gold!  A friend even drew a picture for me of a dragon curled up on a pile of beads. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007 04:23:14 PM »

Really nice collection!

I am still working on finding time to make a similar item - they are wonderful!

Ronda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John U. Bacon on the Fight For the Soul of College Football
Lydia Netzer Introduces Shine Shine Shine
Lee Siegel on Liberating Literature from Academic Pressure
Astor Place Vintage by Stephanie Lehmann
Allison Leotta Gives Her Top 5 Tips on How Women Can Stay Safe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...