A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recycled knit sweater!  (Read 2842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

selena!
« on: September 02, 2007 10:39:50 PM »

my friend (who is a boy) said that this sweater shrunk in the wash, and no longer fit him length-wise (he's like 6'5", so that's not hard to do...).

i stumbled upon it while hanging out in his room and he said that i could have it, figuring that i could do something with it.  as you can see, men's large aren't really meant for flattering and looking cute...

so, after some cutting and sewing, i jazzed it up a bit!

he's a close-up of the buttons and button holes which came from another recon project that included a pair of men's slacks!  the whole in the top is from a button-hole attempt gone wrong, which made me switch to the slacks, i'll probably patch that up as soon as this topic is finished!

let me know what you think!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
riverwatson
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007 07:34:55 AM »

cute cute cute.  Grin

buttons are so fun! and the tabs add an appropriate splash of color. love it.

my closet-full of boring sweaters are going to be very sorry i saw this.

anyway, i am off in search of buttons!!!  Cheesy

thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
Emcat525
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007 03:28:27 PM »

That is cute! So does it work OK to cut up a sweater? It doen't ravel (spelling?) all over the place? I wanted to do something similar to a sweater at the Goodwill but my mom wouldn't let me buy it because she just thought I'd ruin it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
akittencalledjen
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007 03:59:04 PM »

Apparently (I've read some tutes on here but haven't had a chance to try it yet) if you put a woollen sweater in a hot wash it shrinks and it turns into felt.  All the fibres get matted together and it and it doesn't unravel if cut.  You can find more info about it here and over at the Other Fiber Arts board.
This is a great way to use a shrunken sweater and I love your use of buttons.  It's a nice little detail.  Now I really, really want to try it!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007 05:59:59 AM by akittencalledjen - Reason: Typos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

So excited that Victoria Magazine is back in circulation!
selena!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007 05:51:10 PM »

i was worried about that myself, but this sweater came from my guy friend who was typical and just threw everything in the same wash and in the dryer without reading the "hand wash cold and line dry" directions; so cutting this was no problem.  i spent a few minutes picking at the edges to see how much i could get to unravel and i got a few loose ends to stick out a little more, but other than that i was fine.  i also put a finishing edge on the places where i cut just to be sure and she's holding up fine!  now i'm torn between searching my old clothes and scrap bin and doing my homework...  which one will win...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jerriblank

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007 03:40:51 PM »

wow!  what a great idea!  which better than the first version.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

windsy
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007 02:34:05 AM »

this is so cool.  i love those button thingers.  ive done a few sweater fixer-uppers, and they never unravel.  just be sure to finish your seams.  it works out well.

man, i am a sucker for a striped sweater.  i want that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cuteness is addictive
heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007 05:36:06 AM »

Great save. The only comment I could add is that it might be cool to put matching tabs on the cuffs so you can fold them up a bit. It looks like the sleeves are still a bit long on your arms and I think another shot of raspberry might just make the piece look even more polished. (Of course, you may be the sort of gal who likes pulling her cuffs over her hands. If so you could maybe make thumb holes and stitch around them in accent colored thread.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
selena!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007 09:16:06 PM »

Great save. The only comment I could add is that it might be cool to put matching tabs on the cuffs so you can fold them up a bit. It looks like the sleeves are still a bit long on your arms and I think another shot of raspberry might just make the piece look even more polished. (Of course, you may be the sort of gal who likes pulling her cuffs over her hands. If so you could maybe make thumb holes and stitch around them in accent colored thread.)

hrmmm...  that's not a bad idea...  and i still do have some scraps from those pants that made the button holes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 7/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 2/4
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 1/4
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...