A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making your own Rubber Stamps  (Read 1328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pavlova
« on: December 09, 2004 02:23:15 PM »

I'm sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong board, but I was just curious to see if anyone had created their own rubber stamps?
I recieved this beautiful book from Japan with instructions on how to make rubber stamps, and in this book it says to use normal erasers, and carve your designs from them after using tracing paper to transfer your designs on to the rubber.
The only thing is that I cannot find anywhere who will/does stock large flat sheets of rubber/eraser, and I'm a bit worried that the rubber might start to crumble. Is there a special word/term I should be searching on ebay?
If anyone here makes their own, what materials do they use?

I'm sort of new to the whole thing, and want to start creating my own as I'm a bit fed-up of the really boring designs available here in the UK (that is, unless you want to start paying stupid money for the nice ones) and I only go over to Japan sort of biennially.

In the UK, they only commonly sell the usual wedding, birthday, christmas themed stamps. I have been to Blade where they sell a few more nice-graphic stamps, but it'll get pricey if I buy all the ones i like, and I really should learn to make my own anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pavlovasworld.blogspot.com
my irregularly updated blog.
clayfaery
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004 03:05:59 PM »

it's not an eraser.What you want is MasterCarve by staedtler. {which is the best IMHO } you can get it from  http://www.unitednow.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SM-52644  It's very fun.

Oh and I've had stamps I've carved for years and they are still in really great shape.,I also use paint instead of ink  and I'm pretty rough  with them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004 03:08:12 PM by clayfaery » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004 06:27:29 PM »

I happen to like the pink medium from Speedball (can't remember the name of it offhand).  Speedball also has a light brownish colored medium but I found that stuff does crumble.  The white erasers from Staedtler work pretty well for small work and are nice for beginning.  I made a cartouche-looking stamp using one of those that I'm quite pleased with.
Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pavlova
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004 11:20:27 AM »

Cheers guys.
I thought your usual rubber was a bit of a silly idea...

on closer inspection of the Blade Rubber stamp website (http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk) I did find a page that showed the "Speedball" pink stuff you mentioned.
I can't find anywhere online that stocks the Staedtler stuff in the UK, but I will pester all the art-stores on the list my techinical drawing teacher gave us. (i'm doing an engineering degree, but they make us draw occasionally)
Once my end-of term tests are over, I think I'll make a quick visit to Holborn, visit Blade, and pick up whatever they have.

If any of you can read japanese, or even just enjoy looking at nice pretty pics of stamped stuff, then this is a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4391129914/ref%3Dase%5Fpetitehouse04-22/250-7110699-5014645
the reason why I managed to get hold of it was because my mum's friend was the "editor"-sort of person, and also the photos are shot in her house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pavlovasworld.blogspot.com
my irregularly updated blog.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Santa-Inspired Look
4 Ways to Dress Up For Any Holiday Party
Top 5 Sexy Christmas Costumes
Shop These 4 NYE Dresses Right Now
Rent The Runway Takes On Fifth Avenue
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...