A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: painted concrete?  (Read 571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iknowmonkeys
« on: September 02, 2007 08:28:37 AM »

Has anybody painted concrete floors? Our carpet is at least 20 years old and I'm ready to rip it out but I have dogs so I'd rather not add more carpet. I'm thinking of just painting the concrete and adding some throw rugs. Is this hard to do? Do you know about how long it would take to dry? (it's our whole front room and hallway so it's going to be very hard not having access while it dries.) Thanks!

Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kpooh
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007 04:04:20 AM »

Use a paint made for concrete...not sure how long it will take to dry though. I am sure it would hold up the longest.

Or use a good interior/exterior enamel..it takes about 24 hours to dry completely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007 08:34:10 PM »

Use a paint made for concrete...not sure how long it will take to dry though. I am sure it would hold up the longest.

Or use a good interior/exterior enamel..it takes about 24 hours to dry completely.

I agree...

I would also add I think that you can use regular paint , let dry, but then seal with polyurethane, I am planning on doing this to the area my cat ruined that will be my new crafty area
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
hoboe

I'm cute and fluffy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007 06:35:35 AM »

You can stain or paint concrete.  Afterwards you need to seal it.  Rip up the carpet, repair any small cracks or holes with cement repair goop.  Once that dries, stain or paint it.  The staining, especially if a darker color can end up looking like marble.  After that is fully dry, apply a few coats of sealant to water proof.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007 02:36:53 PM »

I used to work at Home Depot and I know you can buy different types of paint/ stain specifically for concrete.  The best results seem to come from a type called acid stain that creates very nice and mellow colors that are slightly translucent and show some of the texture of the underlying concrete.  I would go to your local home improvement center to see your color options.  Oh, and yes, definitely seal it when you're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007 08:15:44 AM »

I would put some sort of lenolium *sp? on top of it, that way it would be much easier to clean, as concrete is very porous, even when painted, and who knows what type of pets stains could be showing up on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
brunette42754
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007 12:05:59 PM »

I recently painted my concrete porch with paint made for concrete.  There were a ton of colors to choose from.  I put a coat on early in the morning and was able to walk across it by afternoon.  The next morning I put on a second coat.  Then the third morning I sealed it.  It was my first floor painting experience and I liked it better than painting a wall.  It took longer to get out my supplies than to paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogsikay
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007 01:08:47 PM »

I wouldn't recommend painting if you're talking about areas you intend to clean well/often.  Or if you would like the treatment to last for more than a year or so.

2 years ago, I painted my living room & dining room floors black, using concrete sealer from Sherwin Williams - three coats of black and one coat of clear. 

The result - a difficult to clean (sponge mops get caught on rough spots, brushes wear the surface, string mops leave water in the low areas) surface with innumerable dime to quarter sized chips in the high traffic areas.

Also be aware that you must remove the paint or put in a layer of plywood or another foundation in order to later use adhesive flooring (like linoleum). 

Concrete staining*, though, is a different kettle of fish.  The resulting surface holds up really well and is very easy to clean.  The problem with staining lies in the acid use and finding the necessary sanding equipment.  But if you're brave, the end result is unique and generally awesome.

*note that some concrete paint/sealer is erroneously marked as "stain."  If you go that route, be careful what you buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make 3 At-Home Cellulite Remedies
Eva Chen Introduces the May 2014 Digital Edition
Drew Barrymore and Eva Chen: Answering Your Beauty Questions
5 Editors, 5 Makeup Must-Haves
6 Morning Makeup Routine Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...