A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
337 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: our 2007 ren faire outfits  (Read 1951 times)
Tags for this thread: renaissance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

parallax
« on: September 02, 2007 08:06:23 AM »

I don't think I've ever posted any of my renaissance faire costumes but I certainly have a lot of them.
This year I used my same dress as last year (will post last year's costume too) but gathered the skirt, made a sheer underskirt, and a new corset.  I also made a mage costume for the boyfriend.
Well this is Alyx showing off his mage-ness:

This is the full body shot with him goose-ing me:

And here is a closer shot with a nicer expression:

This is from last year:

My dress is an old modified Simplicity pattern - I wanted Eowyn style sleeve, but not the incredible length.  It's a light blue linen with strips of embroidery running throughout (so wish I bought more to make a skirt!) I had chopped up my Jr prom dress a while ago and had the sheer overskirt left so I made that into an underskirt.  The corset is from Butterick 4254, very modified.  I had a really hard time with that pattern even though I made about 3 mockups.  The overall size was too large and I did have some support and spillage issues but I had gotten rid of the tabs and didn't make up for it enough and the hips ended up being too tight. I didn't realize just how much the tabs took the pressure off from the bones and ended up with bruises.  It's also the first corset I used spring steel in so that was really interesting.  It's two support layers of duck cloth and a fashion layer of satin taffeta.  Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll use that pattern again or not, I think it needs so much modifying it's not worth it.

For my boyfriend I used Simplicity 4942 ( a LotR rip-off).  He did a lot of the cutting and pinning (and fray-blocking cause I didn't want to hem it heh)  I ended up sewing the trim onto the little capelet on the ride to the fair.

Anyway, we had a great time, I thought we looked good.  All fun.

There will be more corsetry soon - I wanted to use that corset for the local Samhain masquerade ball but it can't be worn without a blouse underneath.  So I' guess I'll just sacrifice and make another.  Tsk oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007 08:59:48 AM »

Wow.  Those are beautiful.  I love the dusty blue color of last year's corset.  You are quite talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007 10:24:51 AM »

they all loook amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Deece in MN
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007 05:30:07 PM »

Wow!  Your costumes are wonderful!  It is a goal of mine to make costumes for my family for next year's Ren Fair.  Thank you for sharing.
Deece
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...