A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: our 2007 ren faire outfits  (Read 2124 times)
Tags for this thread: renaissance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

parallax
« on: September 02, 2007 08:06:23 AM »

I don't think I've ever posted any of my renaissance faire costumes but I certainly have a lot of them.
This year I used my same dress as last year (will post last year's costume too) but gathered the skirt, made a sheer underskirt, and a new corset.  I also made a mage costume for the boyfriend.
Well this is Alyx showing off his mage-ness:

This is the full body shot with him goose-ing me:

And here is a closer shot with a nicer expression:

This is from last year:

My dress is an old modified Simplicity pattern - I wanted Eowyn style sleeve, but not the incredible length.  It's a light blue linen with strips of embroidery running throughout (so wish I bought more to make a skirt!) I had chopped up my Jr prom dress a while ago and had the sheer overskirt left so I made that into an underskirt.  The corset is from Butterick 4254, very modified.  I had a really hard time with that pattern even though I made about 3 mockups.  The overall size was too large and I did have some support and spillage issues but I had gotten rid of the tabs and didn't make up for it enough and the hips ended up being too tight. I didn't realize just how much the tabs took the pressure off from the bones and ended up with bruises.  It's also the first corset I used spring steel in so that was really interesting.  It's two support layers of duck cloth and a fashion layer of satin taffeta.  Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll use that pattern again or not, I think it needs so much modifying it's not worth it.

For my boyfriend I used Simplicity 4942 ( a LotR rip-off).  He did a lot of the cutting and pinning (and fray-blocking cause I didn't want to hem it heh)  I ended up sewing the trim onto the little capelet on the ride to the fair.

Anyway, we had a great time, I thought we looked good.  All fun.

There will be more corsetry soon - I wanted to use that corset for the local Samhain masquerade ball but it can't be worn without a blouse underneath.  So I' guess I'll just sacrifice and make another.  Tsk oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007 08:59:48 AM »

Wow.  Those are beautiful.  I love the dusty blue color of last year's corset.  You are quite talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007 10:24:51 AM »

they all loook amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Deece in MN
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007 05:30:07 PM »

Wow!  Your costumes are wonderful!  It is a goal of mine to make costumes for my family for next year's Ren Fair.  Thank you for sharing.
Deece
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Smashbox Camera Ready BB Water Review
How to Give Yourself the Best Facial at Home
Moschino Backstage Beauty Fall 2015
Gigi Hadid Calls Out Her Fat Shamers
This Shower Oil Will Save Your Dry Skin
Latest Blog Articles
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug
Love Your Mother

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...