A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teaching little brother to crochet??  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2007 04:03:00 PM »

Hey, ltns, everyone.
I just moved back east to live near my family, and my little brother has expressed an interest in learning to crochet. I have just a couple of problems:
1) I'm right handed and he's left handed
and 2) He's ADHD with a mild case of autism. Getting him to stay still long enough to learn how to make a chain might be difficult.

I really want to teach him right. He saw a dragon amigurumi I started and he wanted to make one, too. I figured I'd start him on dishcloths, then a scarf, then the animals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007 04:59:34 PM »

What a cool thing to do!!  Smiley

I can't offer any advice on the handedness thing, but I can offer a couple of tips that might help on the actual crochet...

Start out with a Huge crochet hook, which makes the actual process easier to see, and think of the teaching process as a lark --  random increments that can end and restart at any time. Do a project that is just chaining for a first item (say it is a belt, or a leash of a stuffed toy).... That's as far as I'm at with a special student. Hopefully there will be more advice from others.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
erikau
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007 08:18:03 PM »

Actually, my dad taught me how to make a slip knot and basic chain with my fingers when I was about 4 yrs old.  Later my mom (right handed) taught me (leftie) to crochet.  I vaguely remember her being more frustrated at the process than I was; I think at one point she tried mirrors.    Some things you could try: 
1.  find good online photos demonstrating basic crochet technique and reverse them.  (Easier than watching in a mirror.)
2.  Search for some clear written instructions and switch the rights and lefts (maybe use a different color print as you change them so you don't accidently switch them back)
3.  Have him sit across from you and try to mirror image copy what you do.

Steps one and two will give him pictures to follow and you a cheat sheet so you don't have to try to remember which hand should be doing what at any given time.
4.  If all else fails, see if he can learn right handed crochet.  Even strongly left-handed people usually have a few things they do with that other hand.

And I think the big hook and heavy yarn idea is great.

Good luck!

Erika U
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007 08:38:36 PM »

okay, this is a bit involved, but as far as the handedness thing goes, here's what my mom did for my dad:

go to nexstitch.com and download the quicktime videos for chain stitch, single crochet, double crochet, and anything else important. open each video in quicktime, and hit CTRL+J, which opens the properties window. at the top you'll see "video track" and "audio track," click video track then choose the Visual Settings tab. there is a button there to flip horizontal that looks like <--> so when you click it, it will flip the video to look like a lefty is doing the crocheting.

this really helped my dad, i swear.

oh, and you'll be able to save the videos in their flipped state, if you have the full version of QT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007 07:28:09 PM »

I tried to swap my movements so they were backwards. Very awkward. He can't really get a handle on doing it right handed. We started working on chains, doing it over the hook with two hands. We used what my mom taught me, put the scarf around the hook's neck, then pull his sweater over his head. He got going pretty fast with that. A bit uneven at the beginning (who wasn't?) but it was getting pretty even before he got bored with it and wanted to go color. He's so cute ^_^
Thanks for all of your advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
pinkyrican
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007 01:47:14 PM »

let us know how it goes- my son is 6 and has asked me to teach him to "yarn"- his  term for crochet. I am a leftie and he is right handed- we haven't gotten too far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Gift Card Holder Pouch
How to Craft a Holiday Wreath with Coffee Filters
How to Make a Glittered Pinecone Gift Topper
How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Cottages
How to Make a Holiday Photo Card Ornament
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...