A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift ideas for donor dad  (Read 3449 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annessasgirl
« on: September 01, 2007 02:27:07 AM »

Hi everyone!

This might be a little weird, but I need gift ideas for our sperm donor. My partner and I are using a known donor to create our family; we will be the legal parents, but he will have a relationship with the child(ren) (our daughter is due in October Grin).  I'm tying to come up with gift ideas for Christmas, Father's Day, and maybe his birthday.

He is 25, bartends at a gay bar, owns a small dog, and lives with roommates. I don't know what his hobbies are besides eating and smoking, and I'm not sure if he's still in a relationship (since most of our conversations are about the baby).

My skills are few: I can barely sew, and can't knit or crochet (so cute baby booties are out). Last Christmas I made him a sperm ornament out of polyclay (he thought it was funny). When the baby is born, I'd like to make little handprint ornaments for everyone (us, the donor, and all of the grandparents)... My partner wants to make footprint shirts for us (the 3 parents)...

And that's all we've come up with so far. I thought it might be cool to make something so he could show off the baby's picture at work, like some sort of keychain/picture frame? Or maybe buy a book on gay fatherhood and make a bookmark or something? What do people make for a father who doesn't have custody of his new baby - he won't need a diaper bag or other baby gear because he'll be using ours when he takes her out.

I really don't know - please help!!! I only have a few weeks before she's born!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007 10:02:31 PM by annessasgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007 06:03:57 AM »

Do you have any ultrasound images---you could make (or buy) a nice frame and put it in...or you could do some other art with the ultrasound.

Pictures of her when she is born would be nice, and I do like the idea of the book/bookmark.

Hmmm....aside from the photo/images, I can't think of anything else.

And....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annessasgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007 03:29:01 AM »

Thank you, kitschbitch! She's due on the 12th, and I am freaking out on all of the projects I need to finish, not to mention this one that I need to start!

Yes, I have some ultra sound pictures! We've given him a little album with most of them, but a bigger picture would be cool in a nice frame. I have some cute paper that I could probably decoupage onto a frame, although I've never done that before.

My gf says I should make him a mini sock monkey like the one I made for the baby, but I was hoping to do something more baby-related (although I guess he could tell people he got the monkey when his baby was born?). He's really excited and proud, and that's why I thought something with a picture of her would be a nice gift.

*LOL* I could always make a monkey holding a framed book mark!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpooh
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008 05:50:52 AM »

A T-shirt with baby foot prints that says "My new daughter walks all over me"
Or one with her picture on the front that says "Ask me about my new daughter"...
of course either way he will need a photo book full of pictures to show everyone!!

Take a good pic of him holding the baby when she is born & then have it framed as an 8x10 or larger & give as a gift?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JLMS
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008 04:44:25 PM »

I like the idea of a large framed picture, but don't forget the wallet sizes, too. He may well want to carry around a pic in his wallet. Will his parents be involved? You might think about pics for them, too. Congrats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008 12:06:40 PM »

My wife and I used a known donor for our latest model (due in August!) and one of my favourite things to do is refer to him as my baby daddy (people look at me funny), so this father's day he's getting a shirt with that emblazoned across the front. I sincerely hope he wears it to work (he also works in a gay bar)

I think that a sock monkey, sitting, and holding a (large for the monkey) photo frame with the baby pic inside would be adorable. Especially if he knows about the sock monkey the baby's getting.

Will he be baby-sitting over night at his house? If so, and you have the money for it, a crib for his house would be a nice gesture.

Oh! A sperm keychain! Heh. With a little gold medal hanging on it, like it's the winner. Anything cheeky referring to sperm or semen (especially if you refer to <i>seamen</i> instead.)  Just a few.

Many amusing t-shirts can be found on <a href="http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=87117.">this thread</a>, even though they are aimed at pregnant moms, some can be adapted to dads. Favs include jchinique's "Earth Girls are Easy", and utahmama's "He shoots, he scores!"

Off topic, CrAfTer21's "This is what love looks like" would be cute for your partner... maybe dispel some of the 'looks' you might be getting (I know we do some times).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a 10 Layer Monster Burger
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mastering the Perfect Omelette
Spam Championship: Shoulder Pork Ham Is a Big Deal, Apparently
Sausage and Peppers Po-Boy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...