A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,251
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *UPDATE* Wonder Woman Jumper- *Now with tute*  (Read 144728 times)
Tags for this thread: wonder_woman , sweater , craftster_best_of_2007 , superhero , intarsia , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaby
« on: August 31, 2007 01:31:24 PM »

I am so proud of making this:

Back detail:

Everyday action:

And superhero action!

It took me 14 months to make, using 4ply wool, 3mm needles, a plain jumper pattern from the seventies, a ton of graph paper and pictures of Wonder Woman, and about a million bobbins for the intarsia.

I hit a few obstacles along the way, involving running out of yarn and creative problem solving (again, more detail on the blog, or if you're interested I'll repost it here)
I love it! And wear it at every opportunity.

Let me know if you want any more info- thanks for looking!

Kirsty
----
ETA TUTE! And charts

Ok, here we go, the Wonder Woman Jumper Tutorial (WWJT?)!

I've scanned in images of the charts I used for the front, back and sleeves, but I'm not sure how useful they might be to you, and they're huge.  My image hosting doesn't like them, but if you would like them, please do e-mail me (it's practicalpolly at gmail.com)

Here is how I did it (this is not a pattern, so much as I report...)

Step 1
I found a basic pattern for a jumper I knew fit me reasonably well, having made it before (I used a slim fitting men's pattern from the seventies, knit flat, with set in sleeves and lightly shaped shoulders), and gathered a load of pictures of Wonder Woman from the net. I picked out my favorites, noting particularly the design on the front of her bodice. I discarded the early bodices with the eagle on, as there is no way that would work in intarsia, and besides, it's a bit too patriotic USA for my Brit tastes.

Step 2
I knit a load of swatches with my wool (which my Mum had given to me), on various needle sizes. Fortunately the one which came out nicest also matched my sweater pattern gauge. Hurrah! Otherwise I would have had to re-gauge it, which, having already done so once, I wasn't keen on.

Step 3
Very carefully, I drew out the jumper pattern onto knitting graph paper, following the pattern line by line and stitch by stitch. I ended up with a to-scale outline of my "canvas", the fabric I would have available for the WW design.

Step 4
I figured out where my bust point (the fullest area of the bust- usually where your nipples are...) fell on the pattern (on me, an inch or two below my underarm), and drew on the sweetheart curve of the bodice accordingly. With hindsight, I would probably have made it a bit steeper, and deeper in the plunge.

Step 5
I drew the WW logo I liked best on the front, and the yellow belt detail on the waist.  I probably should have done something flattering with waist decreases round about this point, but instead I put the pointy belt bit right where it was most likely to make me look like I have a bit of a belly. Oh well.
I only really drew out one side of these, as the front of the jumper was planned to be symmetrical.

Step 6
I drew a lot of stars in various shapes and sizes over the back and arms. I did this irregularly, since I thought it looked better. This is one of the crucial things which made it so slow to knit. I had to read every single row from my chart, as every single row was different.
I also drew a pointy bracelet of power detail over the sleeve cuffs.

Step 7
I went over all the stars etc which I had drawn, changing the sketched lines into straight little lines which matched up with the graph paper. This meant I could tell when to change colour in my knitting.

Step 8
I knit it. (this is the part that took 14 months). I actually photocopied my charts at 300% size, and coloured in each line as I knit it, to keep track. I used intarsia almost exclusively, lapsing very occasionally into a kind of fair isle if colour changes where very close together. I had a _lot_ of bobbins on the go.
The two tone cables on the sides where an afterthought, due to running out of yarn. They were knit on the back piece of the jumper, in the red part, using a twisted cable four stitches wide (C2F on one side and C2B on the other) two stitches in from the edge.

Step 9
I seamed it and hoped it would fit...

Step 10
I blogged it and posted it on Craftster!

I hope this is at least a little bit helpful- I'm afraid it's more of a recipe than a pattern...

All questions welcome, and thank you all so much for commenting! It makes me very happy indeed!

Kirsty
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007 02:25:46 PM by Kaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under_the_Rose
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007 01:33:13 PM »

Shocked this is pretty amazing!!!! i wish i had sweet knitting skills! this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
neverseenblue
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007 01:35:34 PM »

WOOOoOoOoW!! You truly ARE a Wonder Woman!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrjunior
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007 01:37:04 PM »

that is totally amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
cthulhulovesme

The littlest Great Old One that could.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007 01:38:00 PM »

That is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've seen today. I need to make something like this. *swoon*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratdogforever
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007 01:39:15 PM »

OH MY GOD.
This sweater wins the trophy for best use of intarsia EVER.
That is so awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickled_peppers
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007 01:41:00 PM »

Oh my gosh! This is so awesome! I bow to your skill! Shocked

I have to hit This Rocks. And Wist it. It's too cool. Cool 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps Cheesy

My Etsy ... www.nutsaboutcrochet13.etsy.com

Follow me on Tumblr for all of my crochet projects!
http://whenidreamidreaminyarn.tumblr.com
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007 01:41:54 PM »

That's WONDERful!  Holy mother of pearl!  I was Wonder Woman for Halloween last year, but if I had a sweater like that, I would be Wonder Woman at least once a week.  I especially love how you included the bullet-deflecting bracelets!  I'm hitting This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllyBee
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007 01:44:46 PM »

This is fantastic and very flattering on you. I especially love the sleeves; all of those stars really show dedication! I read your blog (I was intrigued!) and you really jumped a ton of difficult hurdles - especially the color problems. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Badgerette
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007 01:45:12 PM »

Oh wow. When I was a little girl, I had Wonder Woman underoos, and I used to put on my mom's lip gloss and grin at myself in the bathroom mirror, trying to look like Lynda Carter. I loved Wonder Woman so much.
I think your sweater is amazing, not only for the subject matter, but because you integrated the colors and the signature gold WW in such a way that it's kind of subtle. I mean, as subtle as a WW sweater could be. The sweater itself looks so well done and seems to fit beautifully. I am in awe. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Charles Dickens: From Books To Film
Benefits of Using Gaffer Tape
Stop Motion Recorder for the iPhone
The Making of Tarzan: Where Science and Art Meet
Tron: Legacy Costume Designer Talks Light-Up Fabrics, Style, and the Future of Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...