I am so proud of making this:
And superhero action!
It took me 14 months to make, using 4ply wool, 3mm needles, a plain jumper pattern from the seventies, a ton of graph paper and pictures of Wonder Woman, and about a million bobbins for the intarsia.
I hit a few obstacles along the way, involving running out of yarn and creative problem solving (again, more detail on the blog, or if you're interested I'll repost it here)
I love it! And wear it at every opportunity.
Let me know if you want any more info- thanks for looking!
ETA TUTE! And charts
Ok, here we go, the Wonder Woman Jumper Tutorial (WWJT?)!
I've scanned in images of the charts I used for the front, back and sleeves, but I'm not sure how useful they might be to you, and they're huge. My image hosting doesn't like them, but if you would like them, please do e-mail me (it's practicalpolly at gmail.com)
Here is how I did it (this is not a pattern, so much as I report...)
I found a basic pattern for a jumper I knew fit me reasonably well, having made it before (I used a slim fitting men's pattern from the seventies, knit flat, with set in sleeves and lightly shaped shoulders), and gathered a load of pictures of Wonder Woman from the net. I picked out my favorites, noting particularly the design on the front of her bodice. I discarded the early bodices with the eagle on, as there is no way that would work in intarsia, and besides, it's a bit too patriotic USA for my Brit tastes.
I knit a load of swatches with my wool (which my Mum had given to me), on various needle sizes. Fortunately the one which came out nicest also matched my sweater pattern gauge. Hurrah! Otherwise I would have had to re-gauge it, which, having already done so once, I wasn't keen on.
Very carefully, I drew out the jumper pattern onto knitting graph paper, following the pattern line by line and stitch by stitch. I ended up with a to-scale outline of my "canvas", the fabric I would have available for the WW design.
I figured out where my bust point (the fullest area of the bust- usually where your nipples are...) fell on the pattern (on me, an inch or two below my underarm), and drew on the sweetheart curve of the bodice accordingly. With hindsight, I would probably have made it a bit steeper, and deeper in the plunge.
I drew the WW logo I liked best on the front, and the yellow belt detail on the waist. I probably should have done something flattering with waist decreases round about this point, but instead I put the pointy belt bit right where it was most likely to make me look like I have a bit of a belly. Oh well.
I only really drew out one side of these, as the front of the jumper was planned to be symmetrical.
I drew a lot of stars in various shapes and sizes over the back and arms. I did this irregularly, since I thought it looked better. This is one of the crucial things which made it so slow to knit. I had to read every single row from my chart, as every single row was different.
I also drew a pointy bracelet of power detail over the sleeve cuffs.
I went over all the stars etc which I had drawn, changing the sketched lines into straight little lines which matched up with the graph paper. This meant I could tell when to change colour in my knitting.
I knit it. (this is the part that took 14 months). I actually photocopied my charts at 300% size, and coloured in each line as I knit it, to keep track. I used intarsia almost exclusively, lapsing very occasionally into a kind of fair isle if colour changes where very close together. I had a _lot_ of bobbins on the go.
The two tone cables on the sides where an afterthought, due to running out of yarn. They were knit on the back piece of the jumper, in the red part, using a twisted cable four stitches wide (C2F on one side and C2B on the other) two stitches in from the edge.
I seamed it and hoped it would fit...
I blogged it and posted it on Craftster!
I hope this is at least a little bit helpful- I'm afraid it's more of a recipe than a pattern...
All questions welcome, and thank you all so much for commenting! It makes me very happy indeed!