A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: easy baby blanket for Caron Simply Soft?  (Read 619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaceniblet
« on: August 31, 2007 12:54:44 PM »

Hi Everyone!  This is my first post, but I've been obsessed with craftster for more than a year now.  Everyone here is so inspiring!

Awhile ago my mom gave me a knitting basket that contained a book, some needles, a stitch marker, etc, and 6 skeins of Caron Simply Soft.  I have 2 skeins each of light country blue, country blue, and dark country blue.  I have a friend who recently found out she is pregnant, and I wanted to make something for her.  I plan on making Saartje's booties and maybe a hat or sweater, but I thought I could make a blanket out of all this Simply Soft, as I don't know what the heck else I'll do with all of it.  Also, I feel like since it all coordinates, it would be a shame not to use it all in one big sort of project.  Does anyone know of a beginner-advanced beginner free pattern for a baby blanket that would showcase the three colors or is easily adaptable for 3 colors?  I have known how to knit for a few years, but I'm just now getting around to learning how to read patterns and move beyond basic stitches. 

I have the first Stitch n Bitch book, the SnB page-a-day calendar, and an encyclopedia of stitches, if that helps at all with suggestions.  I considered the Big Bad Baby Blanket, but I am not good when it comes to substituting yarn, and I wasn't sure how to add 3 colors into the pattern - stripes? Border on color, blocks another? - and make it look good.

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Squirps!
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007 01:44:07 PM »

A Log Cabin Blanket might be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jints
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007 07:06:56 PM »

This Basic garter stitch diagonal blanket  could be done in stripes with your 3 colors. guage here is not imperative, and can be made as big or small as you like. so any yarn with suitable needle size can be used. When you have used up half your yarn, stop increasing and start decreasing. that way you know you will have enough to finish.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/dishcloth-afghan.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007 07:12:34 PM by Jints » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluesmom

See my work on Ravelry: ILoveMath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007 08:06:52 PM »

The Pinwheel Baby Blanket is easy and you could always do stripes.  For inspiration, here is a link of the search results to some FOs (including mine... I'm a shameless person):
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;brd[22]=22

And here's the KAL:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=172772.0

And here's the actual pattern:
http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm

And here's a link to the search results from Flickr... I go there a lot to see knitted things and the variations within a pattern:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=pinwheel%20blanket&w=all
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaceniblet
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007 02:25:56 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions!  After much agonizing and drooling over everyone's amazing knitted stuff on here I think I'm going to go for the diagonal baby blanket, alternating light blue, medium, dark, medium, light, etc...  This will be my first project with circs.  However, the Pinwheel Baby blanket and the Diamond and Smocked Baby Blanket have been officially added to my list.  As soon as I conquer knitting with circular needles, I'm all over 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Squirps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
How to Play My Tractors Sexy on Violin Fiddle
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...