A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: two questions on the subject of shirts...  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnybear

i am a craft fiend fear me! RAWR!!!

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2007 10:09:10 AM »

ok so i have 2 questions...

1) i have this plain white tee-shirt and it fits me fine and all but what do i do with it? the collar is like really stretched out and then there is the problem that it is too thin so if i wear it you know...

2) does anyone have a tutorial on how to make a simple tee-shirt? i want to make a little miss stubborn shirt cause i found one at this really  epensive store but it was like sixteen bucks for a plain shirt with the design on it so i decided that i would make my onw and stencil the design on but i dont know where to start on the pattern part... if people could post links on here it would be gratefully appreciated... i already searched making a shirt wich didnt exactly help anything but im gonna keep searching anyways...

thanks a bunch luv ya' ll lol im not from texas by the way... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm the type of girl that laughs at something that happened a week ago...
italia_rican_520

Crafting in the world of Deanna, Mike and Ariel.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007 12:25:38 PM »

For the t-shirt you want to stencil, i'd suggest if you're a newbie sewer, to go to wal mart or a thrift store, buy a plain tee for $4 and stencil on that.
My thoughts are, if you are just learning to sew, you may want to build your confidence sewing some smaller, easier things. But it's all up to you. I think sewing a whole tshirt might be a big overwhelming if you're not used to the sewing machine, and so on.
And in terms of the plain white tee u want to recon, why don't you cut off the collar and stencil on that? Or else, turn the shirt part into a halter, and the sleeves into headbands?
Just some suggestions, hope that helps!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unsay
nemo me impune lacessit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007 06:03:56 PM »

Regarding the first question, if the shirt is too thin to wear by itself (that's what I think you mean?), then you could cut a shape into it and wear it over a tank top or another T-shirt in a contrasting color.  Just use a razor or scissors to cut lines into a heart or a star or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnybear

i am a craft fiend fear me! RAWR!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007 03:43:29 PM »

thanks alot both of you and i love the cutout idea, also i am an experienced sewer i have been sewing for like 5 years... (and it is too thin to wear by itself)
i will have to do some deciding THANKS!!! Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm the type of girl that laughs at something that happened a week ago...
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007 01:22:59 PM »

for making a simple t-shirt:  cut apart an old t-shirt, and use the pieces as a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007 07:59:18 PM »

Here's the tricky part when the budget is tight: are the materials to make it yourself going to be equivalent or higher than saving up for the item you really want? This is a very practical lesson in economics : ) [very little math, I promise!]

When I was younger I drooled over lots of things I couldn't afford too, I know where you are at ; ) now I've got money but I'm too cheap : D

Do you already have all the paint and materials on hand for the stencil part?
If not what do you still need and how much it it?

Have you found a shirt in your price range suitable for stenciling? Why not try it?

If not what about the fabric to make a shirt? If you don't have it on hand how much is it?
How experienced are you in sewing knits?
How much fabric will it take to make the shirt look as good as you want it to? (include practice pieces in this estimate).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I bought some cotton/ ramie tees at Walmart earlier this summer for $6 each, I painted them myself with paints I already had, total cost per shirt: $6 plus tax. I've worn each one probably three times each making their time-value under $2 each already. The more I wear it the better spent the money & time bcause I am getting value for my dollar.
I also bought some fabric to practice sewing knits and a pattern. pattern: $7, 3 yards fabric $15. Cost $22 plus tax.
I screwed it up, several ways & places, enough so that I couldn't rip & try again- it wound up in the scrap bag. Time value of my money: $0 : (

Do not make the false assumption that doing it yourself will always be cheaper- often it's not. If you are doing it yourself because you want to wear things you made- go for it! I do not ever want to discourage anyone from getting crafty- I do discorage faulty assumptions though.

Sometimes it's better to find an odd job & get the money for the item you want. Sometimes it's best to do it yourself. Sometimes it's best to pass altogether. Only you will know what is best in your situation.
Personally I think $16 would be pretty easy to earn in a Saturday morning- ask your neighbors or relatives if they have any odd jobs you can do, you might impress someone : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Freeze Pop Recipe
Homemade Soft-Serve Ice Cream
Bi-Rite Creamery’s Martha Stewart Sundae
How to Make Champagne Sorbet With Kimora Lee Simmons
How to Make Citrus Sorbet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...