A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yet another question about (boustrophedon) brioche stitch! (Tutorial-ish added)  (Read 577 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dbh2ppa
« on: August 31, 2007 09:54:25 AM »

Hi ^^ I know every now and then someone starts a thread about brioche stitch (Let's face it, the damn stitch is difficult to learn).
The thing is, I can do the brioche stitch, the way it is written on just about every tutorial on the web, but that implies knitting a certain "standard" way, which makes my knitting slow.
I knit in a boustrophedon-ish way, meaning I knit from left to right, then right to left, and so on, never turning.
So, is there anyone around here wise enough to help me with instructions for brioche stitch, in boustrophedon knitting?
(I know it's a weird question, and I apologize if you find it to be stupid, but I really knit slowly if I have to be turning and using the same hand all the time Tongue)
(P.S. I've tried doing yo,sl1,ssk on right-needle to left-needle rows... doesn't work Tongue)
Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for answering Tongue

**Tutorial-ish**

Here's the deal:
1. LtRr (left to right row): *Slip 1 knitwise, bring yarn over the right needle, and back between both needles (thus crossing over the slipped stitch), k2tog. Repeat from * to the end of row.
2. RtLr (right to left row): take yarn to the back, *slip 1 knitwise, p2tog (Since the yarn is on the back, it'll go over the slipped stitch, creating a yo), take yarn to the back through the needles repeat from * until end of row.
Repeat rows 1 and 2.
(The k2tog and p2tog are done with the slipped stitch and the yo)

Hope that was understandable. You probably need to understand boustrophedon knitting to get it, if you want to learn how to, or if you'd find a tutorial on it useful or amusing, PM me ^^
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007 09:36:12 PM by dbh2ppa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007 10:52:23 AM »

You would probably have to change these sts - yo,sl1,ssk - to k2tog, yo...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007 01:07:16 PM »

Is this the brioche stitch pattern you're talking about?

Cast on a number of stitches evenly divisible by 3
Every row: YO, Sl 1, K2tog, repeat to end
(from http://www.knitting-and.com/homework/brioche.htm )

I'm curious and want to try what you're talking about, but I don't know the brioche stitch. I knit back&forth like this when I do entrelac, but I've never tried anything fancier than plain knits or purls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007 03:24:09 PM »

Hi ^^ I know every now and then someone starts a thread about brioche stitch (Let's face it, the damn stitch is difficult to learn).
(P.S. I've tried doing yo,sl1,ssk on right-needle to left-needle rows... doesn't work Tongue)
Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for answering Tongue

I think I got it. Or at least, I got something that looks like it works.

I used the instructions in Barbara Walker's treasury which is an even multiple. I got a stitch that looks like p1k1 ribbing, if that's not the brioche you get, then ignore me.  Smiley

On the row where you knit FROM THE LEFT needle:
*YO, Slip 1, Knit 2 Tog* (the "Knit 2 Tog" is the knit stitch and the YO from the previous row, and the slipped stitch is a purl stitch.)

On the row where you knit FROM THE RIGHT needle:
*With the yarn in BACK, slip the stitch that looks like a knit, then YO (yarn is now in front) do a PURL 2 TOGETHER (the purl and the YO from the previous row) repeat from * 

when you move the yarn to the back before doing the slipped stitch, do NOT make a YO, the YO is AFTER the slipped stitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dbh2ppa
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007 09:06:39 PM »

On the row where you knit FROM THE LEFT needle:
*YO, Slip 1, Knit 2 Tog* (the "Knit 2 Tog" is the knit stitch and the YO from the previous row, and the slipped stitch is a purl stitch.)

On the row where you knit FROM THE RIGHT needle:
*With the yarn in BACK, slip the stitch that looks like a knit, then YO (yarn is now in front) do a PURL 2 TOGETHER (the purl and the YO from the previous row) repeat from * 

when you move the yarn to the back before doing the slipped stitch, do NOT make a YO, the YO is AFTER the slipped stitch

hmm... that makes sense XD... I'm gonna try it, but it sounds about right!... the yo could be a problem, since it could end up "twisted"... maybe if I could manage to get all of the stitches oriented like the yo, and the knit right to left through the back loop, using p2tog instead of k2tog... I'm almost sure that'd work!

Thank you so much!!!
(Someone should write a tutorial on boustrophedon-knitting... maybe I will Tongue... it really is easier on the hands XD... would someone find that useful?)
Thak you ^^

**EDIT**
IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!! IT'S ALIVEEEEE!!! (Wait... that wasn't the right line... meh!)
So, no need to orient the stitches... in case anyone is interested I'm adding a little tut. on boust-knitting brioche to the first post... Thank you ThreadOrYarn!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007 09:26:34 PM by dbh2ppa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007 09:42:03 PM »

**EDIT**
IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!! IT'S ALIVEEEEE!!! (Wait... that wasn't the right line... meh!)
So, no need to orient the stitches... in case anyone is interested I'm adding a little tut. on boust-knitting brioche to the first post... Thank you ThreadOrYarn!

You're welcome! I wasn't sure I explained it well enough but I guess it was ok  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove the Breast Meat of a Turkey
How to Remove the Wings of a Holiday Turkey
How to Separate the Dark Meat in a Turkey
How to Measure the Temperature of a Holiday Turkey
Carving a Holiday Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...