A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 8/31/07  (Read 3515 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007 06:39:46 PM »

tehandehness What is South American roving? I don't think I've ever heard of that. The closest I've ever heard of was South African Fine which is a special kind of merino. I'm intrigued.

I haven't been spinning much lately. My husband got the flu, then we had a death in the family, then I had the flu. So, I've been knitting rather than spinning because it requires less energy. Wink

I do have a photo of my current project in process, prepped for easy spinning:

The fiber was brown, green and blue. The brown is on the bobbin already and I've been spinning the green part. Then I'll move onto the blue-green and then the blue. The plan is to navajo ply it to preserve these giant long color runs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007 10:42:47 PM »

TheBon, I'm sorry to hear about the death in yout family, you will be in my prayers. 
Your prepped fiber is gorgeous. I can only imagine the finsihed product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
thegoodsheep
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007 12:35:25 AM »

Hopefully it is still Friday somewhere so here goes.
This skein while not terribly special answers an important question - what is the largest amount of wool that will fit on my bobbin (200g 126m)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1267/1292449716_8921c6257f.jpg

This one is todays spinning - I am thinking of calling it Lavender Granite. (95g 120m)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1292447484_66ad55f766.jpg
And yes that is my desk chair they are photographed on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 01:33:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelovedGoddess
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007 12:53:40 AM »

My first Fibre Friday posting.  First up is a wool/silk blend, I call it Genesis Blue. 

This one is homedyed, not exactly what I envisaged but it looks good in the knitted sample. No idea what to name it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlickMariaVic
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007 03:37:29 AM »

Oh I really like how the "noname" yarn came out. You should call it "Skein Doe" lol. I made 2 skeins this week but took them to work to give to someone. They are still there so maybe I'll be able to take some pics before they see her hands. Also I have one more skein in the works which I will likely finish today. Would it be cheating if I posted that?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007 04:21:02 AM »

I finally posted the pics.... just in time for the next fiber friday. Oh well, better late than never.

I've been spinning up some plain vanilla columbia wool that I got as a freebie. I started with 70 pounds which went down to 55-60 after skirting and I still have at least 45 or so pounds of the stuff so yeah, no end in sight. Did I mention I only have hand cards *rubs wrist* ?

Plain vanilla 4ply worsted with a few bits of vm here and there.

Semi tailspun bfl locks, singles yarn, about 130 yards.

Semi tailspun because I spun a few yards from the lock, then tailspun a yard or so, then spun another few even yards.

Since it's been so insanely hot here, I've been taking advantage of the heat and solar dyeing in old pickle jars. I don't have pictures and don't know where I put the wool, but trust me, it's pretty. Smells like pickles though (and I scrubbed the hell out of those jars so I'm surprised) but pretty.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007 03:40:25 AM by AgentAlmost » THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007 05:17:15 AM »

TheBon--you've had quite the time of it, I hope things turn out better for you.  All those prepped balls of gorgeous color--that must be great therapy!

BelovedGoddess, your no-name skein reminds me of Noro colors.  I bet it does look amazing when knitted!

I have gobs to post actually, but I first have to take pics of all my new babies!  Its been a while since I posted on Fiber Friday!

It all looks amazing, keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007 10:07:48 AM »

grayling-love the cotton coils! and the gold beads..so elegant.

TheBon-you will be in my paryers. sounds like a rough time you've had of it, just recently. I covet the blue shade of your fiber...

I love all the yarns this week! I have had zero time to spin anything, though I did get some knitting done. I'm just way swamped with school at the moment. But I do enjoy coming here and living vicariously through all of you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007 11:25:36 AM »

Gorgeous yarns!
I was quite active spinning this week, but didn't have a chance (or couldn't be bothered) to set the twist yet... Tongue
In about a month I will be moving country, so I had a good long look at possible fibre sellers in that area - which can also be counted as productive, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

woodlandsprite

I'm a Yarnaholic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007 12:32:55 PM »

yikes, it seems like forever since I've posted!

The yarns are gorgeous...

the Bon, sorry to hear of the troublesome times Sad my condolences on your loss.

Spinning wise, I've got these:

both skeins from the same fibers - main difference is one was handblended at the wheel while spinning, the other was carded.
They are for a wing o the moth shawl Smiley for the Spun Stitches knit along Cheesy

I've also got these:

spun from my own merino-firestar batts. Slight over twisting in some places, I was having some issues with the wheel Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://woodlandsprite.blogspot.com
or just for finished objects/goods:
http://spritelygoods.blogspot.com

Handblended batts, handspun yarn and handdyed goodness!
http://spritelygoods.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 5/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 4/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Butterfly
How to Crochet a Pansy Flower
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...