A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plaid 50's-ish dress (tutorial on page 2)  (Read 14761 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lamantin
Procraftinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007 11:57:45 AM »

Anneadeline, isn't it, though? I'm thinking of making one in every color. Smiley

OK, simple tutorial, of sorts. Just ask if something doesn't make sense, I have a bit of a headcold.

First, I found a simple T-shirt and a basic skirt I like, to get some general measurements and shapes to start from. I laid out the T-shirt on some taped-together newspapers, and drew out the basic shape. Then I did a lot of measuring across the shoulders, bust, and waist - this fabric was 100% cotton and doesn't have any stretch to speak of, unlike the T-shirt in question - and adjusted accordingly.  I made the bottom of the bodice end just at my "true" waist, which is the narrowest part of the torso, so that the skirt could flare freely. (Obviously this means I measured the length from shoulder to waist, too.)

(All the newspaper pattern pieces were measured and cut folded in half, so that they were symmetrical. Makes it easier. I folded the fabric piece in half to cut out the neck, so that it would be too. The front neckline goes down further than the back. I'd probably recommend doing a V neckline if you're not very experienced, as this doesn't have as smooth a hem as I'd like.)

I then measured the bottom of the skirt, and added on several inches to give it some oomph.  This measurement, and the waist measurement, I divided by eight. (I also measured the distance between my waist and my knees, which was the length I wanted.) I made a piece that was waist/8 at the top and bottom/8 at the bottom, and cut out eight of those. (Again, fold it in half, use half the measurement, draw a straight line from each outer edge, and cut, and it'll be symmetrical.)

I sewed the top together at shoulders and one side and hemmed the neck and sleeve holes. (I leave allowance and hem after sewing together, which is tricky sometimes - if you're surer on your hemming, you can do that first.) I did two tucks across the chest, but that depends on your shape, size, and material, so you can figure that part out for yourself. Or google. Smiley I also adjusted the side seam a bit after fitting - I did a lot of running back and forth to the mirror and pinning, which was annoying and time consuming but meant I didn't have to take the dress apart and fix stuff afterwards... I really want a dummy now, though.

I sewed together the eight pieces of the skirt, but left part of the last seam open at the top - I'd measured the zipper - so there would be room in the side of the bodice plus the top of the skirt. I put the bodice upside down inside the skirt, right side to right side, and sewed them together, again leaving the one side open. I then put in a zipper, which has its own tutorials.

Finally I hemmed the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hulk angry! Hulk STASH! /  http://procraftinator.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Black Glitter Eye Makeup Tutorial
The Best Treatments For Age Spots
When to Use Lip Liner
VF NEWS: Alexander Wang - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Runway & Interviews
VF NEWS: Luisa Beccaria - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...