A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frou-frou shower curtain  (Read 7891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gina
« on: January 24, 2004 03:52:00 PM »

I made my own shower curtain instead of spending 20+ bucks on some fancy-schmancy one from the store.  All in all, I think the whole thing cost me about $5.  

You'll need a clear vinyl shower curtain liner, acrylic paint, a paint brush (or more than one if you don't want to have to run to the sink every time you want to use a new color), and a stencil (of course, you can freehand it if you're feeling saucy).  You'll also need lots and lots of Q-Tips, which I didn't figure out until I had already started (which is why they're not represented in the photo).  It doesn't hurt to have a couple paper towels handy in case of an accident.
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v50/GinaNadine/Shower%20Curtain/th_YouWillNeed2.jpg

To make the dots, I traced a circle onto a piece of heavy cardboard and then cut it out with an X-acto knife.  Go nuts and make whatever shape you want to.  I've seen a shower curtain that had different colored hearts all over it...that would be totally cute.  I would've done that, but my boyfriend has to use this curtain too.  

First, take the curtain and lay it flat.  Shower curtains are usually packed with a powdery substance all over them so they don't stick to themselves, so take a damp cloth and clean off the side you'll be painting on.

Now, put down your stencil and go to town!
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v50/GinaNadine/Shower%20Curtain/th_Stencil2.jpg

Here's where the Q-Tips come in: when you lift the stencil up, the edges will probably be a bit jagged.  The Q-Tip works really well for cleaning up the edges.  (Obviously, you should do this while the paint is still wet.  It is dry in the photo because the picture I took of me Q-Tipping didn't turn out, so I went back later and did a little re-enactment so you all could see what I meant.)
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v50/GinaNadine/Shower%20Curtain/th_QTip2.jpg

Let it dry for an hour or two, depending on how thickly you spread the paint.  This will seem like an eternity because you will be so excited about your new shower curtain and you will want to hang it up right away.

Some notes, tips, and things I wish I had known beforehand:

1.  I used acrylic paint for a couple reasons: It was super cheap (those little 2 oz. bottles were 67 cents each!) and it just seemed like it would hold up okay based on my past experiences with acrylics.  I honestly have no idea if it's going to peel off or if the humidity from the bathroom is going to ruin it.  If anyone knows of a better kind of paint to use, speak up!
2.  Cardboard was just an okay stencil material--it got kind of soggy after a while from all the wet paint.  Plastic or maybe foam would've been a better choice.
3.  It is easier to have one stencil per color of paint you will use, especially if you're like me and you don't like cleaning things off.
4.  The same thing goes for paint brushes.
5.  Don't touch the paint if you're checking to see if it's still wet!  I did this and my finger took a big chunk of paint with it.  
6.  After it dries, you may want to slap on another coat of paint; when you hang your curtain up and light is able to shine through it, your brush strokes will be a bit more noticeable.  A second coat will alleviate this.
7.  Hang the curtain up with the painted side facing out and away from where the water will be hitting.  

Again, I have no idea how well this is going to withstand two showers a day, but the materials were so cheap that if it totally falls apart, it won't be much of a loss.  If anyone else tries this, I'd love to see pics!  Here's the finished product hung up:
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v50/GinaNadine/Shower%20Curtain/th_AllDone2.jpg

Cheers,
Gina.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 09:14:55 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004 03:26:35 AM »

Great project, Gina.

When I thought about making a shower curtain, all I considered was sewing - not among my strengths.

Now I can paint one! And since when do shower curtains last forever anyway? If it doesn't hold up, at least you've got an original for awhile, then you can use it as a tarp or dropcloth down the road...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
candysniper
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004 09:47:18 PM »

I love this idea! How has it held up, months later?

I can't wait to live in an apartment with a shower bigger than a coffin, then I'll have an excuse to try my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't you find something constructive to do?
-My Mother

No more spray painting in the laundry room.
-My Boyfriend
Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004 12:38:10 AM »

I can't wait to live in an apartment with a shower bigger than a coffin, then I'll have an excuse to try my own.

do those exist?  Grin this is a great idea, Gina nicely done
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004 05:24:44 PM »

wow that is so cool! i love the spots
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004 08:01:56 AM »

very nice  Cheesy

i am wondering if it can also be sprayed instead?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
Gina
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004 08:16:14 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

These days, the shower curtain is...well...the dots/paint are holding up quite nicely.  The side that faces in toward the shower is a bit icky--it's got a pretty healthy layer of water spots on it, but I was expecting that to happen.  I've been tossing around the idea of trying to clean it up with CLR.  One final piece of advice I would give is, if the shower curtain you buy comes folded, that you try to avoid painting directly over the folds.  The folds do smooth out over time, but not so much if you have painted over them.

As far as using spray paint instead of acrylic: That seems like a good idea!  The color would look a lot more uniform that way, I bet.  (Will spray paint adhere to vinyl, though?  I hope this isn't a totally dumb question--now that I think about it, I've never really used spray paint!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

styrofoamkitty

Gee, Ricky, I'm real sorry your mom blew up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004 01:48:58 PM »

Awesome idea, i can't wait to try this!  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004 08:17:21 PM »

As far as using spray paint instead of acrylic: That seems like a good idea!  The color would look a lot more uniform that way, I bet.  (Will spray paint adhere to vinyl, though?  I hope this isn't a totally dumb question--now that I think about it, I've never really used spray paint!)

Krylon just came out with a new spraypaint that's supposed to stick to any plastic straight outta the can -- no priming required. Maybe it sticks to vinyl too, since vinyl's just a specific type of plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
           <<  www.sassycrafter.com  >>
                     crafty repurposing
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
jazminecat
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004 09:06:33 AM »

These days, the shower curtain is...well...the dots/paint are holding up quite nicely.  The side that faces in toward the shower is a bit icky--it's got a pretty healthy layer of water spots on it, but I was expecting that to happen.  I've been tossing around the idea of trying to clean it up with CLR.  One final piece of advice I would give is, if the shower curtain you buy comes folded, that you try to avoid painting directly over the folds.  The folds do smooth out over time, but not so much if you have painted over them.

Three words baby: Plain White Vinegar.  The stuff is amazing, and enviro friendly.  You can just put it in a spray bottle and dilute it 2:1 water:vinegar, take down your shower curtain and lay it out on the kitchen floor, and spray it with the vinegar solution.  Then wipe it off with a sponge after a few minutes. 

You could also try just pouring some on a damp sponge too,  i guess - silly me I always want to do things the hard way. 

I discovered this last weekend when my bathroom sink was just insane gross with lime from the hard water here.  I couldn't get it off with any amount of scrubbing or comet so I did what any sane gal would do - I called mom.  She said fill the sink with water to cover the stain, and dump in about 2 cups of plain white vinegar.  Came back an hour later and it was like easy off - drain and wipe with a sponge and the sink is like NEW!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Studio Photography Tips
Beginner Camera Kit
Action or Sports Photography
Household Items to Keep in Your Camera Bag
How to Hack Your On-Board Flash
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...