A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pin cushions from china ware  (Read 10154 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellen46
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007 04:03:32 PM »

Really these are so easy to make, the hardest part is picking out the containers.  I used really small ones, the cup is and espresso cup so you get the relative size. I just put a glob of E600 glue in a cup, added some stuffing to fill it up about half way. The steel wool is just the steelwool is kind you find in the grocery store sans the soap. I cut it into do-able size chunks, one pad did all the ones you see there with a bit left over. I cut a  circle of fabric, stuff it with a bit of batting, shove in the steelwool and sew gathers around the edge and pull it up tight so it is like a button of fabric. I then add another glob of glue into the cup and put the stuffed "button" inside and hold it down until the glue sets, about 3-4 minutes.  I think every stitcher/crafter should have one or two of these scattered about their work space. So go thrifting and make a bunch! Happy stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellen46
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007 04:21:21 PM »

They are really nice - I actually made something like that a few months ago, after being inspired by a woman selling teacup-pincushions on etsy.
Here are mine:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/Phoenixfromtheashes_album/AllemeineFreunde.jpg

I think yours are wonderful, I think you should be selling them on Etsy yourself.  I don't sell my stuff, it all just gets given away. Yours look very professional you really should have your own shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007 08:12:36 PM »

what a wonderful idea!!! I'm sure I'll make one soon!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmargie9279
Too much creativity, not enough time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007 10:28:20 PM »

That is totally adorable. Those are some great cups you chose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From the ashes
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007 12:09:17 AM »

Thank you kellen, but I like them so much (they each have their own personality - creepy...) that I also just give them away to friends and family.

I cut a  circle of fabric, stuff it with a bit of batting, shove in the steelwool and sew gathers around the edge and pull it up tight so it is like a button of fabric. I then add another glob of glue into the cup and put the stuffed "button" inside and hold it down until the glue sets, about 3-4 minutes.

I use pretty much the same method, without the steel wool - don't like the feeling of needle on steel. Also, I think it's good to check how easily a needle goes through the fabric. Sometimes fabrics are woven so tight, the needles leave holes and it's hard to get them through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crzychick
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007 07:30:05 AM »

Those are so cute! Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
mamarose22
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007 07:52:02 AM »

I made a pin cushion out of a loose powder container.  I glued a strip of fabric around the side, overlapping about 1/2" on top and bottom.  Glued the top inside the container and under the bottom.  I cut a circle to fit the bottom and glued that to cover up the overlap.  I cut a styrofoam ball in half and fit it inside, then covered it with lots of stuffing.  I cut a big circle of fabric to cover the stuffing and kept tucking it in and using a toothpick  & applying glue to the inside while tucking the fabric in, until it was tight enough.  I made a small yo-yo and stuffed it with a soap-filled brillo (which contains a little jewelers rouge) and glued it to the top center of the pin cushion like a cherry on a cupcake.  I keep my needles in the cherry to keep them sharp. 
You can also use small terra cotta flower pots and decorate them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
beanaboo
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007 08:38:52 AM »

That is such a cool idea and each on is unique.  Great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007 02:25:10 PM »

What an awesome idea!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
black and white photo
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007 02:25:55 PM »

how do you make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be Stylish at Work
Get This Street Style Meets High Fashion Look
The Zoe Report: What To Wear To A Music Festival
The Zoe Report: Get Inspired by These 4 Major Fashion Week Looks
What to Wear to Coachella 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...