A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alternative Guestbook Ideas  (Read 24876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 30, 2007 08:57:08 AM »

I've seen some neat guest book ideas around here (especially sweets4ever's), but I'd like to gather them - here are the criteria I'm looking for:

1.  Allows/encourages guests to write advice and/or a personal message.
2.  Preferably functional - I like the idea that it is something useful or on display, not something we'll just tuck away... 

Beyond that, anything is game.  I've seen the photo mats and the serving platters... is there anything else??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
woobie
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007 10:26:52 AM »

I really like the autograph mat idea (not sure I'm calling it the right thing..) you know one of those large frames with a wide mat. In the center you put a nicely printed little note, something like "please share a few words or your blessings with us".. then supply a sharpie.  After the wedding replace the note with a picture of the bride and groom and they have a momento to hang in their home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007 02:56:40 PM »

I like sweets4ever's idea. Cheesy Cheesy

Some others we tossed around were...
  • A tree like I made for Kittykill http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=130284.0
  • Making a tree quilt - having each guest sign a fabric leaf and bringing them all together in one piece later.  I think *MAR* did/is doing this.
  • Buying enough blank mugs for our guests and having each person leave words of wisdom on them, then baking them (with the same porcelain markers we used on the tiles).  I guess it would depend if you drink a lot of mug beverages and your total guest count if this was a good idea though. Cheesy

I wanted something unique and not something where I would get a list of names and addresses.  I think we had more ideas, but I'll have to look through my notes to see. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
LoriHatesOkra
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007 11:49:13 AM »

Completely not functional like you are looking for but asks for advice or personal messages and calls for a little creativity from the guests. I made my own pages for them to fill out and will just put them in a book when they are done.

I don't know how to make the pictures to where you can click on them and get the bigger picture. If one of the managers can do that for me, I'd really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007 12:17:59 PM »

Mine might not be quite what you are looking for, but I'll throw it out there anyway.  We glued small envelopes into a guestbook, then asked guests to write us a message or draw us pictures on little cards and slip them into the envelopes.  It's not that far off from the traditional guestbook, but I really loved it.  One of my favorite memories of the wedding weekend is sitting on the balcony of our hotel room the morning after the wedding and reading all of our messages. 

I saw the idea in a Martha Stewart magazine and got all of the supplies from Paper-Source. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
yum yum in my tum tum
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007 12:34:59 PM »

OKay this isn't really functional but i love this idea. You could place a card at each guest's place and ask them to write a wish for you two on it and get a large fishbowl for them to place it in. Then hide them from yourself...dont read them, and then on your 1st anniversary, you can read all of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadeye
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007 01:52:49 PM »

you've probably heard this one already and I saw it here on craftster, but this is what my man and I will be doing...the scrapbook guestbook.  There was a craftster (I cant find the link right now but when I do I'll post it) who had a table devoted to scrapbook materials and crazy scisors and pens and had each person or family bring with a picture of them with the bride or groom (or a family pic if they didnt have one with the couple) and place the pic on a page and decorate the rest of the page with funn stuff/words of wisdom/congratulations ect...
hope this helps I'm going to find that link now!

Ok so I think this is the one but the picture idea may have come from another post, I think I was combining 2 ideas, anyway here is the link

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=21565.0

Oh wait I found the original one!!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=56798.0
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007 02:08:02 PM by jadeye - Reason: link update » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007 02:32:41 PM »

Jadeye, your post cracked me up. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007 04:34:35 PM »

We got married (and honeymooned) on the Outer Banks.  Instead of a traditional guestbook, we purchased a book of Outer Banks photography. On every other page there was either a large white frame around the picture, or a complete white page with the title of the photograph on the opposing page.  The book now sits on the coffee table in the living room.  It's out all the time, which I think fits the "functionality" requirement  you were looking for. 

Some wrote a little.

Other's wrote a lot.

And some pages are still blank.

I'm sure you could find a similar book, maybe of your honeymoon location, or maybe just a favorite place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007 06:42:26 PM »

LOVE your book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dice Onions and Prepare Water Chestnuts for Lumpia
How to Chop Garlic and Mince Ginger for Lumpia
How to Saute Vegetables for Lumpia
How to Cook and Serve Lumpia
Make Sesame Chapati Bread Dough
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...