A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flame Plum Tart  (Read 1167 times)
Tags for this thread: plum , tart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Neuromancer
« on: August 30, 2007 07:06:32 AM »

Last night I used some of the Italian prune plums we bought at the farmer's market to make a Flame Plum Tart from The Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.  This cookbook challenges me every time I think I am a good baker.  I've yet to perfect one of its recipes.  But it is fun to try!

Pros:
1. The plums were pretty good when eaten raw. They were AMAZING when tasted in this tart. Something about the sugar mixture brought out a tart sweetness that did not exist in the raw plums.
2. The presentation was beautiful.
3. I learned a tip I'll use again. Freezing the dough (which was like a sugar cookie dough and I don't know if this works for all dough) in the pan for several hours eliminated any crust shrink without the use of weights during blind baking.

Cons:
1. The sugar cookie crust did not work well. First, it was quite hard to roll out and I ended up having to press it into the pan. Then, it got too brown in baking. This was partly my fault, as I read the crust-specific directions for the blind baking but missed the plum-tart-specific directions to underbake. Also, the sides of the tart unmolded easily, but the bottom crust stuck to the bottom of the tart pan and fell apart when I tried to cut pieces. Perhaps I'll use a thicker crust next time.
2. The finished tart was very, very juicy. It was a bit of a mess. But I did moisture-proof the bottom crust with melted apricot preserves and sprinkled it with the cornstarch mentioned in the recipe. Maybe if my plums had been a little less ripe it would have been less drippy?

Ultimately, the plum flavor was so amazing, I'll have to try this again. The plums on their own would have been great over ice cream, too.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007 07:09:55 AM by Neuromancer » THIS ROCKS   Logged
k^2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007 07:16:36 AM »

The presentation is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on in, I'll put on a pot of bourbon.
Keke
I work full time/college full time I cannot craft like I want to!

Wheres are my flippin scissors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007 08:10:30 AM »

It is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007 12:05:34 PM »

looks beautiful and deeeelish.  but i have one question and maybe its a stupid one since i don't bake much i am not familiar with the term "blind baking"  what does that mean???  Looks way to complicated for me though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
playinghooky
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007 01:26:09 PM »

truly beautiful.  thanks for sharing it with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For the love of all things scrumptious or crafty
http://figswithbri.com/
crzychick
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007 02:52:12 PM »

WOW that looks great! Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Neuromancer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007 05:21:47 AM »

looks beautiful and deeeelish.  but i have one question and maybe its a stupid one since i don't bake much i am not familiar with the term "blind baking"  what does that mean???  Looks way to complicated for me though.

Thanks, everyone!  The crust was kind of complicated and frustrating, but if I can do it anyone can.  I didn't do it perfectly and it was still great.

Blind baking is baking the crust empty before putting any filling in.  In this case, I made the dough, chilled it, put it in the pan, froze everything for several hours, and then baked it empty.  But if I hadn't frozen it I would have needed to put in weights (pie weights, beans, another pie plate, etc.) to keep the dough from shrinking when I baked it.  Usually you put a layer of parchment or wax paper or coffee filter in between the weights and the dough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind-baking
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007 05:22:48 AM by Neuromancer » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Digital Zoom Tips
Digital Camera Exposure Basics
Outdoor Photography Tips
Camera Aperture Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #107: Bottle It Up Winner!
Tute Tuesday: Whitman's Sampler
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...