A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drawing noob!  (Read 2629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ParallelFifths

Corn chips are no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 29, 2007 03:09:19 PM »

I am definitely on the fence about posting this amongst all your freaking amazing and talent-heavy stuff... but oh well! I'm just getting started on drawing and I'm trying to learn all I can, so whatever! I guess you can call this my cry for help. Cheesy

I would definitely appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys have to help me get better. Next time I'll use actual drawing paper instead of acrylic paint paper Tongue and I know there are better pencils than my little ol' Bic mechanical #2.

I don't have a scanner, so my camera will have to do, though it's a little off.

And somehow I made my gorgeous friend look like a shark. Hmm. Suggestions? hahah

Here is the original pic!

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe that in the passionate
There's a part that is Divine
[Waterdeep]

I'm wistin' away...
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007 03:21:52 PM »

don't use a mechanical pencil, use drawing pencils. drawing pencils are better because they don't make the lines look so hard.

also do more shading to add depth and dementions to the picture, other than that its alright...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
punka
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007 03:31:20 PM »

Ok - point number one, don't show it to your friend! - nah, only joking  Grin

what I would say would be that i used to jump into a picture willy nilly and just start on one feature and go from there which makes it harder to get everything spaced right.

Best thing is to plan out your page before you start - take a good look at the spacing between the features on each face and mark little dots on the page at the edges of the eyes, nose, lips etc. Then roughly/lightly sketch out the basic shape of each feature to see if it looks right.

Then you can start working on each part of the picture in detail - remember that the eraser is your best friend and dont be afraid to scrap a bit and start over.

Aside from that you seem to have a confident hand and the willingness to give it a go, both great starting points. Oh and dont' apologise for posting your work - the great thing about this place is seeing people develop Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007 03:32:13 PM »

I definitely think you're off to a good start!

Like Chel02 said, you should get a few good drawing pencils because they'll make shading so much easier -- and fun too! I love shading with my pencils! Smiley A mechanical's tip is just way too fine to get the right shading in Sad

Something you need to work on, and the only problem I see, is proportion. And it doesn't just come naturally so just keep on practicing on it! Cheesy Start small, do things like trees and buildings and still life drawings- then work up to people. People are by far (in my opinion) the hardest things to draw! Smiley

Hope that helps soon! Can't wait to see your next drawing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
rhoticity
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007 03:42:03 PM »

Here's the one thing I really really learned from my art classes in HS: proportions for human bodies and faces make all the difference.

The biggest thing that jumps out at me is the mouth. No matter what face you are drawing, the mouth ends at about the halfway point of the eyes.

check it: http://drawsketch.about.com/library/weekly/aa121202a.htm and google "face drawing proportions" to see more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Look, I've shrunk it! BY THE MAGIC OF XEROGRAPHY." -my sociolinguistics professor

wisty.
thetheLizard
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007 03:43:15 PM »

If I were you, I would call the noobness "style" and declare it exactly how you wanted it, you're a genius, you're a star. (it's how i get through the day Wink )
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 03:43:44 PM by thetheLizard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill, laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
--Rupert Brooke
WhisperedDreams
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007 03:43:27 PM »

Smiley Hey, I'm new here and new to drawing myself but I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents, lol. Never be ashamed of being a noob, I can't draw to save my life which is why I recently got "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"  (here's the link http://www.drawright.com/)  I think you did rather well, we just have to learn to "see" things differently. If I can ever get my drawing right I want to decoupage my stuff onto the used coffee cans I've been using as kitchen storage containers.  Keep it up, it'll get easier from what I hear (though I'm still waiting for the easy part myself, lol.

Cheers,
Chrissy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissafairy08
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007 03:49:40 PM »

There's a really fantastic book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" that will give you lots of tips and great techniques. It's very popular, I see it in used bookstores all the time if you are on a tight budget, or you can get it at the library.

Otherwise, it looks great for an early attempt. I can't draw to save my life so kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
melissafairy08
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007 03:50:39 PM »

Smiley Hey, I'm new here and new to drawing myself but I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents, lol. Never be ashamed of being a noob, I can't draw to save my life which is why I recently got "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"  (here's the link http://www.drawright.com/)  I think you did rather well, we just have to learn to "see" things differently. If I can ever get my drawing right I want to decoupage my stuff onto the used coffee cans I've been using as kitchen storage containers.  Keep it up, it'll get easier from what I hear (though I'm still waiting for the easy part myself, lol.

Cheers,
Chrissy

Hey!!! Quit reading my mind!!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
ericav
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007 04:17:06 PM »

I agree with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, it's a great book.

I would suggest learning proportions. It's important to be able to "see" the proportions in effect. I would draw a map out/ outline of what you think the placement should be, then do a second drawing of a map out using a light board (or tracing paper for start) and so you can see the proportions. Compare the two drawings and see what you can learn from your natural instincts of a map out and what a map out would be directly from the picture.

Hope that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeff Nichols Talks About Trainwreck
Bethenny Frankel Talks About Naturally Thin
Crescendo Book Trailer
Regan Hoffman Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Andrew Clements Talks About Smart Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...