A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ecstatic Rose Vanilla Ice Cream  (Read 1240 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , ice_cream , vanilla , rose  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

playinghooky
« on: August 29, 2007 02:54:34 PM »

My husbandís parents donít eat eggs, and my mother in law LOVES good ice cream. So, she often experiments with interesting flavors out of Bruce Weinsteinís The Ultimate Ice Cream Book. Some of them already donít have eggs (Philadelphia style), but sheís also adapted other recipes to be eggless.

I think her rose vanilla is my all time favorite. Rather than make it with rose water, she uses 2 drops of Rosa damacena high grade therapeutic essential oil. Itís practically flavorgasmic. It takes 30 roses to create one drop of high grade essential oil, so there are essentially 60 roses in this one quart recipe.

I have more info on my blog: http://figswithbri.com/?p=28 but here's the recipe

Recipe makes approx. one quart.

2 C. organic heavy cream

2 C. organic half and half

ĺ cups organic evaporated sugar cane juice (itís unbleached granulated sugar that imparts a blond color and still has the natural minerals and enzymes from the sugar cane. great stuff if you havenít tried it yet and tastes delicious)

2 tsp. vanilla extract 2 drops rose (Rosa damacena) essential oil

30 organic rose petals (in whatever color you like, so long as they are not commercially grown with chemicals)

The night before, put the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker in your freezer, so itís rock solid when you need it. Trim the white bitter bottom off the rose petals and then cut them with kitchen shears into small confetti bits.

Heat the cream and half and half in a large heavy saucepan over med. heat until small bubbles appear around the edge. Donít let the cream and half and half boil.

You can either add the rose petals into the pot before you heat everything, or after. The roses wonít impart color, but they may give it more fragrance if you put them in before the heat.

Remove from heat and add sugar, stirring until it dissolves completely. Allow the cream to cool slightly, then stir in the vanilla and rose oil. Cover and refrigerate until cold, or overnight. Freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream maker, according to the manufacturerís instructions.

When finished, the ice cream will be soft, but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least two hours. Just remember that thereís no junk or stabilizers in this ice cream, so it does tend to melt faster than store bought.

Youíve never had anything like it. If you are familiar with rose in Indian or Middle Eastern cuisine, if wonít be perfumey at all. Just ecstatic. Itís great to share at a party since itís so unusual too. Just watch your guestsí eyes light up. Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For the love of all things scrumptious or crafty
http://figswithbri.com/
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007 03:03:55 PM »

It looks gorgeous and sounds absolutely fantastic!  Thanks for sharing the recipe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007 03:19:55 PM »

this sounds sooooo good!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChildrenoftheFall

Total Skull Baby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007 03:47:19 PM »

I absolutly adore rose icecream.. Ive never tried it with vanilla though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bluest eyes in Texas, are haunting me tonight..
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007 03:56:43 PM »

This sounds so good! I wish I had some right now, in fact Wink I never would have thought of eating ice cream with roses in it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
BattleMaidenStudio
Battlemaiden Studio - Illustration by Valorie

I have a paintbrush, and I'm not afraid to use it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007 04:01:47 PM »

Sounds amazing, where do you find the rose oil?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeadGirl
I am the lemon zester of destruction!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007 04:20:58 PM »

I've never had rose ice cream, but it sounds fantastic! And it's very pretty too  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
playinghooky
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007 05:00:20 PM »

Thanks!  Normally, in the perfume industry, fragrance is extracted using harsh chemical solvents. Using solvents is far cheaper than the steam distillation method which is how therapeutic essential oils are extracted.  We used therapeutic high grade rose essential oil, so it runs almost $200 for a 5ml bottle from Young Living Essential Oils.  But, if you are interested in buying just a few drops to make this amazing treat, you can purchase them from http://www.essentialoilsforhealing.com/REFeoils.html.   
It is one of the most amazing experiences ever.  Truly.  Rose has the highest frequency of all essential oils and can create an ecstatic feeling of well being. If this rose ice cream doesnít bring a smile to your face, I donít know what will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For the love of all things scrumptious or crafty
http://figswithbri.com/
crzychick
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007 02:58:13 PM »

That looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Blending Modes
How to Crop an Image
How to Customize a Sports Poster Template
How to Add a photo to a Sports poster
How to Use Basic Photoshop Elements
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...