A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,970
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Barbara G. Walker-a-long?  (Read 18594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2008 12:23:33 PM »

cynalune -- how did you do the shaping on the ribbing?  did you just start the next rib a row or two down?  Did you do the ribbing on the same size needles as the rest of the sweater?  How did you make the cast-on calculations?

I'm looking forward to seeing this modeled when it's all done!

My own attempts have been frogged.  My husband's sweater, on 3.5mm in dk with a big cable panel down front and back, turned out to be a little tighter than her wanted in the armhole... he realized this after I had finished two inches of body bast the armholes and the sleeve cap one one sleeve plus a few inches.  The shoulders were a borderline fit anyhow, so I ripped the whole thing to add extra shoulder width -- if I'm going to put in this much time, it's gonna be perfect!

I've also improved on the sleeve "seam" -- I did body first.  I found when I picked up aroudn the armhole and then did the short-row shoulder cap, it left a sort of a gap between the body and the sleeve -- it didn't look as good as a well-sewn-in sleeve.  *but* -- if I pick up only the top (I'm doing about 2 inches worth of stitches on either side of the cast-on) and start the back and forth, picking up one extra stitch at the end of each row, it makes for a much nicer shoulder "seam."  I also plan to pick-up 2 at the end of each of the first few shoulder rows when I re-do this bad  boy.

It is going to be a beautiful sweater.  I hope he loves it.  I've taken a good long break from it out of frustration, and I'm finally feeling ready to go back at it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynalune
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2008 01:00:45 PM »

Yarnhag, I hope your husband will love it Smiley

For the sweater, I just cast  on  7 stitches ( because it's my lucky number  Roll Eyes )for the left side and then I began to increase immediately to make the V shape of the neckline. then I recast 7 stitches on for the right side and joined them at the point of the V. It was more or less improvised. I figured that if the neckline went too low I could add a little afterthought modesty at the point, a bit like Venus on Knitty
then I did the waist shaping by beginning a column of ribbing  ( p2, k2,p2) at the center of the front and adding a column of 2 knit stitches every other row.
When I try this on, I see I have began my ribbing a bit too high but if I had made it lower, it would hit me lower on the hips too so I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing
I'm still on the last sleeve, I don't know why but I can't force myself to work on it and right now it looks at me accusingly on the couch  Grin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008 01:02:26 PM by cynalune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynalune
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2009 03:58:09 PM »

At last, it's finished :
Here is the front (the lacing you can see is actually on the back) :

And the back :

Now I need a pair of black,removable, very long armwarmers to go with it  Grin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009 03:58:59 PM by cynalune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Style Inspiration
How to Wear Vintage Designer Finds
Style Inspired by Olivia Palermo
Style Inspired by Gwyneth Platrow
Maura Lynch Shows off Her Perfect Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...