A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Barbara G. Walker-a-long?  (Read 15071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2007 07:10:53 AM »

Would anyone be interested in a Barbara G. Walker knit-a-long?
Barbara G. Walker has a lot of knitting books out there, and in general kicks quite a bit of ass!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_G._Walker

I've been making some sleeveless (and a short sleeve) sweater from the guidelines in her book Knitting from the Top, which you can view here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191299.msg2010924;topicseen#msg2010924

If you've seen this book and been scared away by the really outdated picture on the front, don't be! There's lots of valuable information inside, and no more ugly pics!
You can make so many things from the top down, even sweaters with set-in sleeves! And no sewing!
I've just requested a few of her "Treasury" books from the library, so if you want to knit something from one of those pattern books please join in as well!
I thought this would be fun and a good place to ask questions, because her instructions can be a little daunting. I think it's just because she has so much confidence in people's abilities that she just assumes we know more than we do.
There were a few people in the original thread who expressed interest, so I hope to see you all!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 07:19:40 AM by aliciasjoy - Reason: to fix link to Barbara G. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007 09:24:27 AM »

If you've seen this book and been scared away by the really outdated picture on the front, don't be! There's lots of valuable information inside, and no more ugly pics!

The revised book has a better cover picture IMHO - scroll down a bit at http://www.schoolhousepress.com/gen_books.htm for the new version. I think the text is the same though.

I've been thinking of doing a baby sweater using the kimono instructions, I'll have to look at that chapter again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007 11:17:23 AM »

I will see if I can find a copy of the book for cheap somewhere Smiley  (My local library stinks, so that's out.)  I have one project otn now and need something else to transition into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007 01:10:23 PM »

I thought the kimono instructions would work really well for a baby sweater, too! Also a cute bathrobe in some squishy cotton or boucle yarn. 
honeydew, you should see if your library will do an interlibrary loan for you. I have to ask all the time and the librarians are usually thrilled to help out. God bless librarians, for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007 02:04:10 PM »

I will see if I can find a copy of the book for cheap somewhere Smiley 

The publisher is www.schoolhousepres s.com, it's still in print, and the cover price is $20 (US$, I'm not sure where you are) so when you look at used books or wherever, just keep that in mind. If you're in the US, www.theknitter.com has the book for $20 and free shipping, if that helps at all.

(I looked at the Barnes&Noble's website, in the used books section for this and none of them were less than $20 which I thought was wierd - and the original hardcover version was over $180!!!  Shocked Barnes&Noble's website doesn't even carry the book new anymore. )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007 06:47:52 PM »

I thought this would be fun and a good place to ask questions, because her instructions can be a little daunting. I think it's just because she has so much confidence in people's abilities that she just assumes we know more than we do.

Smiley I was curious what she said in the introduction about being able to design/knit your own sweater. I found this (pages 9-11 in the 1996 reprint version)

(italics are from the book, bold & typos are mine  Smiley )

There is a popular myth to the effect that working a gament [from the neck down] is much more difficult. This myth has been circulated not by knitters, but by instruction-writers - for the good reason that it is more dificult to write directions for such a garment....

The subject of knitwear design has been made to seem much more mysterious than it realy is.....  The truth is that to design your own knitwear you need only 4 basic tools: yarn, needles, a tape measure, and a brain fortified by a 3rd grade education; for it isusually in the third grade that we learn to add, subtract, multiply, and divide....

In fact the construction of a knitted garment is among the simpler things of life. Some of the world's most magnificent knitting has been done in past centruies by uneducated European peasants, who never went to school and could not read nor write, and whose acquaintance with arithmetic was rudimentary at best. They knitted to clothe the body, not to strain the brain....

The directions in this book... are not at all like the directions you've been used to. They are neither abbreviated nor concise; they are long, rambling, wordy, and full of digressions... There is a purpose behind this windy manner of presentation. The purpose is to teach not just what to do, but why you do it.

I'm going to guess that everyone joining this KAL (and this board in general) has the 4 items (in bold) that she says is necessary to design a sweater!!  Grin Kiss Grin Which if you think about it, a sweater just 3 tubes joined together - it's the joining together that gets tricky!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 06:51:26 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyFox
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007 08:12:16 PM »

I'm going to take a look about getting the book and will hopefully be back soon! 

Grin  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a knit by the seat of her pants kinda gal.
 Crafty Fox
punkcatknitter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007 01:33:05 PM »

I've been making some sleeveless (and a short sleeve) sweater from the guidelines in her book Knitting from the Top, which you can view here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191299.msg2010924;topicseen#msg2010924

I've been looking at this book for awhile, but it was your FO's that have made me decide to take the plunge and order the book. I love top down sweaters, but I'm excited about branching out from the basic raglan construction... I'll be lurking here until my book arrives!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007 03:40:24 PM »

Yay! I'm glad to see you guys!
I need to figure out what I want to do next. I have a lot of Knitpicks Andean Silk from a sweater I started last year then abandoned. It was a cardigan done in pieces and I got the back and one side done when I realized I would never sew the pieces together even if I managed to knit all the pieces the same gauge (apparently I have a problem keeping to gauge. I noticed this when I was making the vests as well. I had to keep my little knit chek close.)
I might make another vest of stash scraps first just because they're so fun and pretty quick, and I'll take some progress shots too.
If any of y'all have progress pics, please post them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007 05:26:42 PM »

I just ordered the book from Schoolhouse Press.  And being a read-a-holic, I also ordered the Mosaic Knitting treasury she wrote as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fit Your Image Size to Your Print Size
How to Draw Eriko from Dragon Crisis
How to Make Great Selections in Photoshop Elements 11
How to Draw Disco Bear from Happy Tree Friends
How to Draw Diego from Dora the Explorer
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...