A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need the help of an experienced Craftster!  (Read 370 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theblackplague
« on: August 31, 2008 01:44:26 PM »

At my high school, every senior must complete a Senior Exit Action Project, or SEAP.  We can choose almost any topic we want, and have to do a research paper, product, and exhibition of our project throughout the course of the year.   I want to do mine on unconventional and/or recycled fashion.  Every project must include an interview with a mentor experienced in the area of study.  I'd like to ask for any Craftster over the age of 21 (SEAP requirements  Lips sealed) to contact me at fusionflute09@yahoo.com if they're interested in helping me.  The interview can take place through email.

Thanks a bunch!

-Alex
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008 03:47:22 PM »

I love this site & there are some great people here, but as far as getting a grade for interviewing someone in the field, I'd be inclined to tell you "shoot for the top!".

I'd contact one of the major fashion houses that has done deconstructed or reconstructed clothing (Dolce & Gabana comes to mind) and ask for an interview with anyone that works hands on with the designs. Yes of course one of those two guys would rock, but a senior seamstress or intern designer would still give you a great interview & lots more credit on the grade department for getting a big company. A paper letter reply would be even better, how much would that rock to turn in a interview on a huge designer companies' letterhead?

Anecdotal:
My school always required Freshman English students to write a properly formatted business letter asking some sort of relevant question & send it to someone whom we expected some kind of resopnse from. My teach made us write to our congressmen (YAWN!!). My brothers' teacher was more laid back & had a list of athletes & TV starts (agencies) that they could write to but nearly anyone known was fine with her.
My brother, being a bit of a skate punk at the time (1991) decided to write to Tony Hawk. Not only did he get a big fat envelope full of cool stickers but a fully handwritten letter from Tony himself answering every question asked. The English teacher was floored, in ten years of giving that assignment she had never seen a fully handwritten letter back from a big name. Yes, he got an A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderwench
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008 01:35:20 PM »

Within the past year, I read an article about a thrift store in the San Francisco? area (Goodwill? Salvation Army?) that had an agreement with a company that redesigned and recycled donations into one-of-a-kinds that sold for a lot more money. Everything was custom, because they hardly ever had two of the same thing. Try a search on the web, go to the San Francisco papers and search their sites. It would be another great source for your project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dia Reeves Talks About Bleeding Violet
Beth Kobliner Talks About Get a Financial Life
Toby Lester Reveals His Favorite History Book
But I Wanted a Baby Brother Book Trailer
Farai Chideya Talks About Kiss the Sky
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...