A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New spinner  (Read 810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ameythestlily
« on: August 27, 2007 09:46:30 PM »

Ok I looked through a little and didn't see this....

How long/much practice did you need in order to be consistant when drop spinning? I'm not saying extremely thin, just not clumpy.

I went to a fair this weekend and they had a spinning bee. While I was watching, the woman running the event talked me into learning drop spinning (top whorl, cause I got a bottom whorl a few yrs ago and never got the hang; now I think I know what I was missing). By the end I wound up with a top whorl CD spindle, 2 large hanks of roving (totally forgot the 2 sheep types, 1 is very white and has small to medium fibers, the other is grey/brown curly and has medium to long fibers) to "practice" with as well as a promise to met them again in 3 wks at another fair.
         I wanna be able to show them that I can at least be consistent with my thickness by then but I'm not sure how much practice time i should try to squeeze in.  See below about drop spindle.

Now I have a new question. I just kinda got my spinning wheel working (looks like the one on this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187011.0 I got it for like $25 at a church fair). Well I'm having 3 problems with it....
1. The "thread" that winds around the 2 wheels seems to be really twisted and I can't see how to get it untwisted (it keeps coming out of the grooves in the larger wheel).
2. The bobbin seems to be spinning in the opposite direction from the spindle and the wool I'm trying to spin won't feed on to the bobbin (I checked the websites recommened on the FAQ page and I'm pretty sure I'm feeding it through the oriface and over the hooks properly).So what am I doing wrong? Or is there a problem with the bobbin?
3. When first learning to spin do the wheels sometimes start spinning in the opposite direction? It was un-twisting everything I was working on
PS. what kind of oil should I use to get rid of squeaking? Would WD-40 be a no-no?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007 06:43:34 PM by Ameythestlily » THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
Spiraling
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007 12:06:08 AM »

Honestly, it will be different for everyone. I have had classes where I've had students just get it within two hours and some students who take weeks of determined practice.

I would recommend trying out different positions to see if you can find one that really fits you. I've had students who hold the spindle and twist it rather than just letting it spin freely and they've found that more control makes it easier.

Experiment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theyellowhobbit
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007 11:38:17 AM »

I find that if you draft the fibers ahead of time, it's easier to spin with them. It also can ensure that you're drafting pieces of the same size. This is what contributes to the width of the yarn the most, I think. Obviously over or underspinning can change the consistency, but at least for me it's really the drafting that makes or breaks a good skein.

And that doesn't answer your time question. I would set aside as much time as you can for practicing. Because if you get the hang of it right away, you're just going to want to spin more anyways!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ameythestlily
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007 06:19:15 PM »

Thanks..I've been trying for about 1/2hr every night when I get home from work (before bed) and I'm getting a little better at consistancy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
Spiraling
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007 06:21:54 AM »

Have you tried spinning the other way on your wheel? That is, if you're spinning the wheel clockwise, try anticlockwise. Otherwise, try threading the leader along the other side of flier hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ameythestlily
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 03:31:27 PM »

MY WHEEL IS FIXED!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy

I got a wheel last yr for christmas and haven't had a chance to use it.
When I got it it was in 2 pieces and put it back together but couldn't get it to work right.
Turns out I just had the driving "thread" in the wrong groove. Now I get to practice on this too.
MAn so many crafts so little time  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008 08:06:00 AM »

Oh good! I am behind on posts over here and was just reading your post and wondering if it got fixed or not! I'm so glad it did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Create A Screensaver
The Animation Chefs - Episode 5 - How to Lawn Surf
How to Use the Color Range Command - Photoshop CS4 - Peachpit TV
Sony Vegas simple tutorial: How to upload faster
Sony Vegas tutorial: How to make 2 or more clones
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...