A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
331 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown Leather Coat --> Patti Smith Tote  (Read 2733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofscotts
Fashions and Refashions

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2007 05:18:45 PM »

I dismantled a vintage leather coat piece by piece for this and used nearly all of the fabric.  I cut out a photo of Patti Smith from the last issue of BUST and laminated it with packing tape, and then I sewed it over a light blue doily.  On the side I cut out a few blue vinyl hearts (not Patti style), a fabric flower and another small magazine photo.  
On the back side there is a plain circular mint doily.

Me wearing it:

For sewing all the leather, I had to take strips of old book pages and sew them over the leather, then rip them off, since leather gets stuck on the foot of the machine.  When I was going to attach the straps, the leather was so layered that my machine wouldn't sew it!  I've broken a needle on this bag already.  I'm going to have to go to home depot or something and find a more creative heavy duty solution for them- now they are sewn on, but not very strongly, and one is only safety pinned.  I keep fantasizing about taking a staple gun to them... maybe if I make a design out of the staples it will look intentional.

EDIT: I fixed the safety pin/strap problem for now.  I took brown embroidery thread and an embroidery needle, a pair of scissors and a pair of jewelry pliers.  I pushed the needle through the thick leather part with the middle of my scissors (flat plastic part).  I could've used any hard object.  I had trouble pulling it out the other side once the end of the needle had been pushed as far as it could, so then I took the pliers, grabbed the front of the needle and pulled it through.  I made a few lines of stitches back and forth across the strap.  It's holding up for now and feels like it might stay.

I also added a charm of the Eifflel tower:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 11:07:23 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007 03:20:13 PM »

Brilliant recon and collage work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007 03:53:26 PM »

Wow, it looks amazing!  I love it.  This is such a cool recon.

On an unrelated note, I also love your hair - you have the perfect face for short hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
allyinthevalley
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007 07:10:53 PM »

Genius! It would have looked fabulous without the pictures and hearts sewn on, but with them it is perfect! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptowngurl
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 08:22:33 PM »

I love this bag it it is wonderful. Have you checked out LoriMarsha on Flickr, she does a lot of pieces you may find this awe inspiring!  I love your bag!!!!  There is always stuff like this in the HauteHandbags periodical check this out at BelleArmoire.com or Stampington.com -HelenLolita
THIS ROCKS   Logged

speak only good things of people and you shall never have to whisper
MandiNoel
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007 08:09:37 AM »

That's absolutely gorgeous! Brilliant work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007 01:32:49 PM »

Wow, that's amazing~ Smiley
I love the bag's size and how you used the belt (it looks like?) of the coat for the straps...fantastic idea. 
When I first saw the straps in the one pic, I thought you had stapled it on, until I realized it was a safety pin.  But the hand-stitching looks good.  How's it holding up?  I have a small black leather coat that I just cleaned out of a closet...hmmm, now I'm thinking...bag time!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
cinnabat
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007 10:01:55 AM »

This is the most awesome inspiring bag I have seen... pretty much ever! All the elements just work together so well. And I second the admiration for your hair (or lack therof.) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annacharlotte
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008 09:11:45 AM »

I love how you pieced this together.  I have a "freecycle" leather jacket coming my way, and this is very inspiring... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

opfiend
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008 12:27:59 PM »

oh i absolutely love patti smith and this bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feel like just some misplaced Joan of Arc.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid Bad Hair Extensions
Why Wearing Tight Ponytails Is Harmful to Your Hair
How to Wear a Drag Queen Wig
How to Maintain a Wig
How to Wear a Wig
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...