A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: adjusting for gauge with decorative increases  (Read 302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 27, 2007 04:07:34 PM »

I'm looking at making the hooded capelet from the Loop-d-loop book (for those of you that don't have the book, here's a photo: http://www.loop-d-loop.com/productspages/wraps/hc.html).

In the book, two versions are shown--one for a child and one for an adult.  The pattern is the same, but different size needles are used.  Well, supposedly used.  The samples shown in the book look to be the same gauge as the child size--they don't look like the ones on the website.

I like the look of the tighter gauge and so will be knitting one for myself on 19s rather than the giganto 36s (I tried them and did not like how my swatch was looking).  So my question is this:

In the pattern, it's knit from the top of the hood down and the only increases are yos, which definitely add a decorative element.  I'm very comfortable with the concept of figuring out how to change the number of stitches and rows based on gauge.  It's not the math of the gauge adjustment thats throwing me, it's how to keep the design consistent.  I haven't worked out the number yet, but I feel fairly certain that I will have to increase a larger number of stitches than what the pattern tells me to.  So should I follow the pattern, and do a less obvious increase (knit through front and back loops?  a different increase?) somewhere else--maybe along the front and back?  Right next to the yos?

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007 04:11:40 PM by Magill » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007 01:57:48 PM »

When it comes to invisible increases, I think that "make 1" increase is the most seamless in stockinette stitch. I've read that "make 1" can be interpreted many ways, but here's how I do it:

With the left needle, pick up the bar between two stitches from front to back. Knit this bar through the back loop.

Knittinghelp.com calls this a "Make one left" or "make one front".

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007 09:37:52 AM »

Thanks for the increase suggestion--I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.  I guess I was making a mountain out of a molehill--after some math and charting yesterday, I'll be able to just use yos in complement with the design to do my increases.

Man, knitting on 19s goes fast!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 12/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 11/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 10/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 1/35
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...