A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Journal Pages (Tip-in) Swap Rd 2(CLOSED)  (Read 13610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2007 09:33:07 AM »

This is a tip in style swap for an altered journal-we are sending pages instead of the whole book so everyone can join in!!  You can either bind all your pages into a journal with covers you make OR you can cut the 1" margin off and glue the pages into an existing journal OR mount them in a frame OR keep them in a cigar box till you decide what to do with them......

First round gallery:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=173711.msg1786655#msg1786655

Swap name:  Altered Journal Pages (Tip-in) Swap Round 2
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  alteredmommy
Sign-up date range:  August 27 to September 3 or until full 18 people
Date to send item by: Every Monday  -  September 10, 17, 24, October 1 and 8

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): 18

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO
If so, which country?

All ages allowed? Or 18+?  18+

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

DETAILS:
*The theme of this swap is MONOTONE COLOUR  You will choose ONE colour that your partners will use in your pages to create a monotone book.
*Within your partner's colour choice you have complete freedom of  ideas and mediums (collage, paint, marker, fabric.....)  Black can be used for printing/writing etc.
*Groups will be 6 people.  Each swapper will be sending 2(TWO) 5" x 6" altered pages to EACH of their partners and a  decorated Manila shipping tag as an "artist signature"(with your name, date, signature, a picture whatever you wish to put on)
*These pages include a 1" plain border on one side- the left page will have the border on the right and the right page will have the border on the left.  The two pages will open as a "spread"
*Please use a fairly sturdy paper as your base and I would suggest bubble envelopes for mailing
*When you receive your partner list you will also get a send-out schedule (so everyone gets some pages each week)

Because of the nature of this swap PLEASE consider the following before signing up:
1. You have successfully completed TWO (2) swaps with positive feedback.  Late sending comments in previous swaps may make you ineligible to join (due to the many send-out dates we must send on time!)
2. You are prepared to SEND internationally.  YOU WILL BE MAILING  FIVE TIMES.  Although we are just sending 2 pages, there will be some cost involved.
3. You are prepared to send ON TIME-this is very important to keep the swap running smoothly and your organizer from tearing what little hair she has out...(stuff does happen, just let me know!)
4.  You are prepared to resend your pages within a week if they are not received within 3 weeks of the original send date.
5. You are familiar with the process involved (altered art) and are confident that you can complete up to five spreads
please feel free to contact me if you have any questions Smiley

COMMUNICATION:
Please pm me when you have sent (yes every week) and when you receive (yes every time)  It would be lovely if you let your partners know as well.  Feedback for this swap will be based on communication (there's no such thing as too much) AND timely sending.  Sending late/poor communication will be noted in swap feedback.

SHIPPING:
Within the USA, a DC# will be required if you are able to get one (USPS requires a package be at least 3/4" thick, you can pad your envelope)  Please include this number when you pm me.  Everyone sending internationally please keep your postal receipt as proof you have sent.  If your pages haven't shown up within 3 weeks, you will have to remake and resend within a week.

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer (lets see if you paid attention  Wink)

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap: Altered Journal Pages (Tip-in) Swap Rd 2
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
How many swaps do I need positive feedback for?
How many pages do I need to make for each partner?
What size?
What does monotone mean?
What else do I send?
What day is the send-out deadline?
I have a scanner or camera (if no please let your partners know)
I would like to have my pages (name ONE colour)

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

Some examples:

(These were entire books that were sent around, beautiful page examples!)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=146405.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=167771.0

Teesha Moore's journals http://www.teeshamoore.com/teeshasjournalpgs.html

List of Approved Swappers:
1.  alteredmommy (cream/ecru you know..."dirty" white)
2.  Katxena (RED)
3.  minouette (white- the whole spectrum of white like colours)
4.  qazicat (finishing off her multi book-brown, purple, turquoise, pink and orange-one colour for each partner!)
5.  squirrelgirl (orange)
6.  superhooker (green)
7.  little green dragonfly (purple)
8.  JoyousBohemian (orange-autumn tones)
9.  OriginalYouth (turquoise (aqua/marine blue/robin's egg/blue-green)
10.  hardyswanton01 (green)
11.  Banga (yellow)
12.  babbetto  (Blue)
13.  Phizzychick  (muddy green- think olive, combat fatigues)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007 11:09:58 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007 09:33:45 AM »

Here is the send out schedule!!  Once someone has sent I will start a gallery and keep track of sends and receives there.  The deadline each week will correspond with the number of your partner.  Sending early is a-okay but not mandatory.  Please pm me (alteredmommy) and your partner when you send and receive.  Also send me your dc# if you have one, otherwise save your postal receipt.  You have one week to remake and resend if your pages have not arrived 3 weeks after mailing.

SEND OUT DATES: 1 Sept 10  2 Sept 17  3 Sept 24  4 Oct 1  5 Oct 8

PARTNER LIST These are the people you SEND to!!

alteredmommy  1 minuette (off white)  2 superhooker (green)  3 little green dragonfly (purple)  4 hardyswanton01 (green)  5 babbetto (blue)

Katxena  1 Phizzychick (muddy green)  2 little green dragonfly (purple)  3 alteredmommy (dirtywhite) 4 JoyousBohemian (orange)  5 Banga (yellow)

minouette  1 little green dragonfly (purple)  2 alteredmommy (dirty white)  3 Katxena (red)  4 squirrelgirl (orange)  5 superhooker (green)

qazicat  1 Banga (yellow)  2 minouette (offf white)  3 superhooker (green)  4 little green dragonfly (purple)  5 JoyousBohemian (orange)

squirrelgirl  1 hardyswanton01 (green)  2 Banga (yellow)  3 minouette (off white)  4 Phizzychick (muddy green)  5 little green dragonfly (purple)

superhooker  1 alteredmommy (dirty white)  2 hardyswanton01 (green)  3 qazicat (pink)  4 Katxena (red)  5 OriginalYouth (turquoise)

little green dragonfly  1 JoyousBohemian (autumn orange)  2 Katxena (red)  3 Banga (yellow)  4 qazicat (turquoise)  5 squirrelgirl (orange)

JoyousBohemian  1 babbetto (blue)  2 qazicat (orange)  3 hardyswanton01 (green)  4 Banga (yellow)  5 Original Youth (turquoise)

OriginalYouth  1 superhooker (green)  2 babbetto (blue)  3 JoyousBohemian (orange)  4 minouette (off white)  5 Phizzychick (muddy green)

hardyswanton01  1 qazicat (purple)  2 JoyousBohemian (orange)  3 OriginalYouth (turquoise)  4 superhooker (green)  5 minouette (off white)

Banga  1 Katxena (red)  2 Phizzychick (muddy green)  3 babbetto (blue)  4 squirrelgirl (orange)  5 alteredmommy (dirty white)

babbetto  1 squirrelgirl (orange)  2 OriginalYouth (turquoise)  3 Phizzychick (muddy green)  4 alteredmommy (dirty white)  5 Katxena (red)

Phizzychick  1 OriginalYouth (turquoise)  2 squirrelgirl (orange)  3 qazicat (brown)  4 babbetto (blue)  5 hardyswanton01 (green)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007 07:37:02 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 09:38:19 AM »

Have fun and make lots of pretties...I can't play but I'll be lurking in your gallery Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shooting star
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007 09:50:46 AM »

Sad because the timing of this swap coincides with my training I won't be able to take part Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007 09:53:35 AM »

Ooh, definitely very tempted! I'll have to see how the dates fit in with stuff, but no doubt I'll be back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007 10:09:05 AM »

I'm back from my meeting, and I'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007 10:24:43 AM »

aww, we'll miss you guys this round Sad

Katxena, I can't wait to see all the new stuff you learned in the class you took!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007 11:00:59 AM »

Ooh, I soo want to do another round, but I don't know if I will have time! I will be working full time now, and shuttling between three homes. Besides, I really need to start planning my wedding.  Grin But hopefully, I can fit it in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007 11:09:29 AM »

Here's the little schematic I drew for the last round.  I think all the details are the same for this round.

This is a 2-page spread, which means you are making 2 separate pages that work together.  You put your art on the front side of these two pages.  The journal owner will either bind them together with all the other spreads she receives or paste them into an existing journal.  The two pages will be facing each other once they are bound or pasted.  The pages are oriented as shown in the graphic, with the longer side across the bottom.

As for size, A=5 inches, B=5 inches, and C=1 inch, making the paper (or whatever base you choose) 5 inches (side A) by 6 inches (side B+C). 

C is the part that the journal owner will use for binding. If the journal owner is pasting their pages into another book or journal, she will cut C off entirely, so while you can color it or bleed your design into that area, you shouldn't make it a major part of your spread.  Your working area is the 5x5 inch area defined by A and B. 

And just for the sake of clarity -- the dotted line is just for illustration, you don't need to draw it on your page.  The journal owner will measure.

metric conversions:
6 inches = 15.2 cm
5 inches = 12.7 cm
1 inch = 2.5 cm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007 11:11:52 AM »

Katxena, I can't wait to see all the new stuff you learned in the class you took!!

The class (which was with Kelly Kilmer) was really great, I hope to start using some of the techniques I learned.  The main thing is that Kelly is very brave with paper -- although she uses paint, she does a lot with just paper that I don't feel confident with.  I'm hoping to incorporate a lot of that stuff into this round.

I recently started a tip-in group at flickr -- there's a lot of eye-candy over there, if you are looking for more inspiration:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tipinart/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007 11:14:51 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mix Unpredictable Pieces for the Perfect Look
How to Style a Pleated Skirt
How to Wear an Oversized Blazer
8 Perfect Outfits from Taylor Swift in NY
The Worst Dressed Celebrities Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...