A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,983
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin pendants (My Little Pony)  (Read 1722 times)
Tags for this thread: my_little_pony , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2007 04:19:11 AM »

I made these a couple days ago.  Sadly, I can't name all of the ponies used in the pieces, although I know I have them.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with them though!  I had a burning desire to work with 2 part epoxy casting, and a hojillion MLP stickers, so naturally the two combined in a convenient crafting worldwind!

So they'll either show up in my Etsy shop, or hopefully can be used as trading fodder or something with Arena folks, or maybe at the next WA pony gather.

This was the better of the two castings I did.  There is a pearlescent/iridescent medium that was mixed in with the resin, and it is clear enough that the images of the ponies are easy to see through the plastic.  I also used glitter stickers, which made them even more sparkly.

L to R: Pinkie Pie, Silver Glow, Pinkie Pie (different pose), and (name?)

L to R: Star Catcher, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Tangerine Twinkle?

These were from the first casting, I used too much pearl stuff so the ponies inside look kinda ghosty, hiding in the mist.  I think I'm going to keep the one with Silver Glow for myself.

(no idea on the name)

Rainbow Dash:

Silver Glow:

Tangerine Twinkle(?)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007 05:51:59 AM by Garnet Bear » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
miserylovesme
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007 08:48:21 AM »

I <3 them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhandbags
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 09:31:26 AM »

Very cute.  Resin intrigues me; it's on my list to try.  What did you mold them in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
Garnet Bear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007 02:03:18 PM »

Resin's fun to try out.  At least it's a craft that doesn't cost a whole bunch to experiment with.
I used this mold.  You can find other ones on eBay in various shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

friedmandesigns

snooty parisian arteest.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007 05:59:12 PM »

Garnet,

well i'm not a huge pony fan
(are boys allowed to be?)  Wink   they're still really great pendants. my niece would freak out if she realized i could do something like your ponies w/ my resin. just joined this place (cool digs!); have you ever used glass as a mold for your resin? i've had lots of fun using some plastic molds/tupperware type stuff - but wondering what might happen if i use a glass candle holder for making coasters - you think it'll stick to the glass? keep up the craftiness  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They might or they might not," said Winnie the Pooh. "You never can tell with bees."
Garnet Bear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007 03:22:46 AM »

Friedmandesigns:  Of course boys are allowed to be pony fans!  My husband is moderately confused as to why I am compelled to fill my art room with colorful plastic horses, but he grins, nods, and "yes dear's" his way through it. Wink

If you wanted to create something like this for your niece, the easiest source of ready-to-go pony art is just to buy a $1 pack of stickers and use those!  I got those pretty holographic glitter pony stickers at the dollar store (Dollar Tree).  I'm sure your niece would love to make a pony necklace with her uncle, but then again I'm all about bonding over art.

I haven't tried glass for molds.  My issue with the jewelry mold I used for these pieces is that the plastic was really rigid, so getting them to release was a major struggle and hassle, even after three applications of mold release!  I think if you are confident that you could get your resin *out* of the candle holder once it had set, I don't see why you couldn't try.  Maybe try something from the thrift store or the dollar store before using that irreplaceable family heirloom candle holder.  These are some of my first forrays into using resin, so I am no authority in the world of molds and polymers, but I'm sure someone here on Craftster is a resin guru and can offer better advice.  All I know is to do it in the garage or outside, and to cast as soon as I've mixed the catalyst in.  I stalled for half an hour on my first try, and half of the resin cured in the bottom of my mixing cup.  Lesson learned.

I've made some better necklaces since I originally posted this, since the first ones were really just an experiment.  They're all beaded, so I moved them over to the completed projects in the beadwork section.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007 03:25:15 AM by Garnet Bear - Reason: moving projects to completed beadwork » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Honey-Truffle Grilled Cheese Recipe
How to Cook Truffled Egg Benedict
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich
How to Cook Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...