A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Insulating Lunch Bags?  (Read 894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: August 26, 2007 09:12:42 PM »

I wanted to make a lunch bag but I don't know how I would make it so that it insulates. I plan to put vinyl on the outside and the inside in case of spills, but what should I use between the outside panel and the inside panel so that it keeps everything cool? Someone told me to use batting and make it kind of quilt-like, but I was trying to find something less...messy?
Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007 03:10:02 AM »

I made my daughter an insulated lunch bag for the new school year.  I found a thermal batting at my local fabric store (Hancock's).  It is called Insul-Bright (by The Warm Company) and is designed specifically for keeping things hot/cold.  The cost was very inexpensive ($3.99/yd USD), and it's at least 45" wide, if not wider.  I found it easy to work with, and so far it's working great in her lunch bag.  I found it in the section where quilt batting is sold.  It's on a wide roll.

I hope you are successful finding it!

FYI - For the exterior of her bag I used a 100% cotton, and the interior is remnants of flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth fabric.  There has been no leakage to this point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arus
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 02:15:03 PM »

actually thanks! that helps me greatly as well. I didn't know they made thermal insulating batting. I'll be on the look out. I was just going to use normal batting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeni_loves_you
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007 03:20:00 PM »

I made my daughter an insulated lunch bag for the new school year.  I found a thermal batting at my local fabric store (Hancock's).  It is called Insul-Bright (by The Warm Company) and is designed specifically for keeping things hot/cold.  The cost was very inexpensive ($3.99/yd USD), and it's at least 45" wide, if not wider.  I found it easy to work with, and so far it's working great in her lunch bag.  I found it in the section where quilt batting is sold.  It's on a wide roll.

I hope you are successful finding it!

FYI - For the exterior of her bag I used a 100% cotton, and the interior is remnants of flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth fabric.  There has been no leakage to this point.

Thanks so much for this idea! I know we don't have it at the craft store I work at but I can try to look in the fabric stores in the area. I had no idea they made thermal batting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arus
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 05:12:38 PM »

I've been looking, but I can't find anything that says thermal batting. Can someone provide a brand name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ditsy
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007 05:23:11 PM »

It is called Insul-Bright (by The Warm Company) and is designed specifically for keeping things hot/cold. 

http://www.warmcompany.com/ibpage.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007 09:05:54 AM »

Wow!!!! I was just wondering about this, this morning and I found your post and thank you sooooo much!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Belle Morte

Follow your first instict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007 07:59:23 AM »

easy peasy   Cheesy Cheesy go to :

http://craftandfabriclinks.com/store/insulation_batting.html

hope it helps
                                                     Belle Morte

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Assuming the worst is always safer,  and usually truer
pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007 12:20:42 AM »

I recently made this lunch bag and I used the insul-bright stuff and found it very easy to work with. I bought it at Joann's. Good luck with yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairapy Ep 107: Jasmine
How to Get the Surfer Girl Hair Style
Hair How To: Kim Kardashian Waves
How to Get a High Bun in 2 Minutes
Hairapy Ep 106: Heidi
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...