A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candy Flavorings for Lip Balm?  (Read 1582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: August 26, 2007 07:35:13 PM »

I want to start making lip balm, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on different things just in case I decide not to make them anymore (My mom said I'm famous for changing my mind and not sticking to one project...I think she's right.)
I ordered a base and some tubes off MMS yesterday but decided not to order the essential oils and stuff. When I was at work today I found these LorAnn Gourmet Flavoring oils. I know they're for candy, but would they work for lip balm? I have a bunch of different flavors at home that are left over from the lollipops I made a couple of months ago and wanted to use them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 07:42:22 PM »

I have heard that the LorAnn oils work, but haven't tried them myself. As long as they are OIL since your base is oil, a water or alcohol based flavor will not mix in. Make sure what you have are the LorAnn oils and not flavor extracts. Oh, and please report back how it works!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
jeni_loves_you
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007 01:47:09 AM »

Thanks so much! I'm hoping they work because right now I can't afford to buy essential oils that I might never use again.
Hopefully my order from MMS will come in before the weekend so I can experiment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007 02:19:48 AM »

from the research i have done (which has been extensive), LoRann seems to be the foremost candy oil to use in your lip balm....

i havent personally bought it yet, i am using different flavor oils, but i will be purchasing some soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
MamaVSoap
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007 04:24:30 AM »

I've used LorAnn but they have to be the 100% oil. If they have any water, they don't incorporate in the lip balm and you get gooey pockets.

Cinnamon, Lemon, Orange, and Mint are all good...and Cinnamon with Orange is yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007 06:36:51 AM »

most lip balm recipes dont include any water, from what i have found...can you point me in the direction of the recipe you have that does, so i can see why they included it in theirs?

my recipe is sound, and water would only make the shelf life shorter, but i am very curious....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007 08:50:30 AM »

Lorann flavouring oils work great in lip balms! I use 3 to 5% flavouring to lip balm mixture.
Lorann actually offers some information on making lip balms:
http://www.lorannoils.com/lip_balm_recipe.htm
although I have no idea what the actual recipe might be like (I just used it for the ratios).

I've used pralines & cream, egg nog, vanilla butter cream, cotton candy, and a few others for lip balms and they were awesome! Remember, though, they aren't sweetened, so you will have to add a sweetener to it if you want to taste the flavour (I use an oil based stevia for mine, but you have to be careful because it can taste very harsh if you use too much!)

I am wondering if the recipe containing water might be a lip gloss or "lava lamp" gloss, which generally consists of oil and a water based thing like glycerin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007 09:07:41 AM »

thanks swift....i was wondering...lip gloss doesnt interest me at all...i dont like the goopiness lol.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeni_loves_you
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007 10:41:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I tried it tonight (my bases and tubes and everything came in this afternoon  Grin). I haven't tried the lip balm yet (as of right now they're cooling) but they smell YUMMY!!! I used pina colada because that's the only one I could find in my cabinet. I thought I had other flavors, but they seem to have disappeared.
I ended up making 10 baby balm containers and 10 tubes with half a jar of base (and there's still more!) so I'm going to be asking coworkers to help me test them tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jozi
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007 04:31:06 AM »

I believe what was meant by "make sure it has no water in it" was in reference to the flavouring, not the lip balm recipe. If a flavouring contains water, it will not incorporate into an oil-based lip balm recipe.

That being said, I have never used candy flavours in my lip balms. I have used all kinds of lip balm flavours as well as a few essential oil. I prefer sticking with flavour oils for the most part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gameday Recipes: Maui Cheese-Steak Sliders
Gameday Recipes: Irish Stout Cheese Stuffed Burgers
How to Make Homemade Chips and Dips For the Big Game
How to Make the Carolina BBQ Pork Burger
How to Bake Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...