A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there anyone who is on/has done/knows anything about art access courses?  (Read 488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2007 04:22:06 PM »

I'm thinking of applying for a part time art access course, and I was hoping to find someone who has been on one or knows about them, to ask some questions!

At school, I was encouraged to take academic subjects and not to view art classes seriously, but now I'm in my mid 30s and I think I'd like to learn more, but I'm not sure my skills are up to the task. I'd really appreciate if anyone would let me ask them a few questions!

Thnak you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 06:31:18 PM »

I am not sure what art access courses are...I have taken art courses at various places- the local colleges have continuing ed art courses available (instructed by the actual professor). The art museum in town offers things, my local art guild has many opportunities to learn new skills from other artists.  If something like that is what you mean I can answer questions for you. If it is some kind of on line thing I am clueless Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 03:38:32 AM »

Access courses might be a UK thing!  They are 1 or 2 year courses that you can do as a mature student, the idea being that afterwards, you can apply to university to study in that area. 

Last year I did an adult ed. art course (2 hours a week) which I loved, and I'd like to learn more, but I'm not sure if I'd be good enough. I'm also wondering how much homework these courses require of their students (the course I'm looking at is 2 full days per week).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007 06:17:10 AM »

Oh. I  really don't know about that then. I will say that when I took art in collage and some required outside work and some did not. As far as this goes
and I'd like to learn more, but I'm not sure if I'd be good enough.
Wanting to learn and practice are both key. So many people have in mind what they want to do and close their mind to other possibilities offered in art class. Practice- drawing every day fine tunes your skills. When you combine what you learned with practice you will be amazed. Also remember that 9 times out of 10 an artist is their own worst critic Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
EvilTadpole
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007 04:06:42 PM »

Those sound like post-baucalarreate (sp?) or continuing studies courses here in the US.  I have a degree in fine art and I can tell you that for our studio classes, which were about 6 hours a week, we were expected to put in between 10 - 15 hours outside of class (per class) every week.  By the way, most art teachers can tell if you've done the work outside of class, no matter you ability.  Stick to it, and you'll find you improve.  The saddest thing I ever saw was in high school.  A girl in one of my art classes was so talented, but then she decided after freshman year to stop taking so many art courses and by the time we graduated, her talent kinda went to pot while the rest of us who stuck to it were heads and shoulder more talented. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Copy Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Backlight Scene
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...