A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From poo brown to lilac panne-Fabric covered walls WIP w/pics  (Read 3519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbanizzlemomma

Beware the smiling Zillameister

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2007 03:36:45 PM »

My stepdaughter, Liv, has been living with the most hideous walls ever for the past 3 years.  They are striped: poo brown, dark blue, and white.  With a 2 year old monkeyboy and a 4 year old, I can't paint the walls.  We discussed wallpaper, but I'm currently in the process of stripping old wallpaper off of about 80% of the walls.
We decided to cover her walls in lilac panne velvet.   So far we've gotten 1 wall covered...took all day with trials and errors.  We're going to hide the seams with some grosgrain ribbon and decorative tacks.  I know this is the completed projects section, but we feel pretty accomplished having covered a whole wall.

Before:

After:

The corner where icky meets princessy:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spydyrgrrl

off-kilter crafter. anthropologist. milspouse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 03:52:26 PM »

I feel the need to run up and hug the panne wall.  Looks great and super plush Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smart cannibals don't eat brains.
faerieflings

What? Lame? Never...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007 04:00:51 PM »

I want a panne velvet wall!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait, where did those come from?  I swear I didn't go to the craft store, honest!

Let the baby crafting commence!  Cheesy
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007 04:15:22 PM »

Sooooooo, how'd you do it?  It looks awesome!  I've wanted to upholster a wall since way back, but don't ever find so many yards of something so cheap that I'm willing to commit to it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007 04:49:08 PM »

It looks great so far, and I can't wait to see the finished room. How much fabric did you buy, and was it expensive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbanizzlemomma

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007 08:13:18 PM »

We bought the fabric from www.denverfabrics.com.  It was in the clearance section for a whopping $2.98 per yard.  I highly recommend denver fabrics because they ship lightning fast!  We bought 14 yards to start with and will need to buy some more to finish up.
We're using thin strips of wood (hubby can't remember the name for them) that are flat on one side and kind of rounded on the other.  We measure out 8 feet (the length of the wall from top to bottom with 2 inches for wrapping) and staple the fabric to one strip of wood with a staple gun.  Then it gets nailed up with finish nails.  We leave the bottom loose while doing that.  Then we take a second piece of the wood, and wrap it and staple at the bottom, then nail it with the finish nails.
Liv loved the velvet, but it's a real pain because of the stretch factor.  Had it been straight cotton, we wouldn't have the seam issues happening as badly.  It's nice and snug on the wall, so we're not worried about it falling at all.  She's too young for candles, so that's no worry either.
When we start on the next wall, I will take pics of the process, to make it easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007 09:09:42 PM »

Thanks for the directions so far and especially for offering to photograph your process! Very nice of you to put so much effort into a young kid's room.  I bet she'll love that for a long time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbanizzlemomma

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007 11:20:49 AM »

We're hoping it will at least get her through the middle school years...another 3 years to go.  Poor girl has had the nasty walls since we bought the house. 
I precut some fabric yesterday, so we should be good to go for more work this weekend, at least till we run out.  I will definitely post some how tos Saturday night or Sunday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
___equilibrium
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007 11:32:22 AM »

Very girly, but a definite uprade! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007 08:48:36 PM »

awesome!  It's like the romance novels set in the Victorian Era when walls used to have silk hung from them!  Gorgeous! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Popsicle Recipe
Peach Ice Cream Recipe
Apricot Blueberry Cobbler Recipe
FullyRaw Ice Cream Recipe
How to Make a Fruity Eton Mess
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...