A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Well, I know it's not called the sheep stitch...  (Read 717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhoticity
« on: August 25, 2007 07:19:50 PM »

To get the waffle-y checkerboard look of this scarf, would I just do alternating knit/purl stitches to get the pattern, or is there some trick?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Look, I've shrunk it! BY THE MAGIC OF XEROGRAPHY." -my sociolinguistics professor

wisty.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007 07:33:38 PM »

just k and p. Knit 4, p4 for 4 rows. Then p4, k4 for 4 rows. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Of course, you could use multiples of 5, 10 rows, whatever -- however you want the checkerboards to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Ameythestlily
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007 07:46:58 PM »

wouldn't that be k4,p4 RS: p4,k4 WS for 4 rows then p4,k4 RS: k4,p4 WS (cause it looks like an uneven pattern repeat 5 blocks instead of the 6 done normally)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
rhoticity
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007 08:18:26 PM »

Thank you both! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Look, I've shrunk it! BY THE MAGIC OF XEROGRAPHY." -my sociolinguistics professor

wisty.
spydyrgrrl

off-kilter crafter. anthropologist. milspouse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007 08:44:11 PM »

Where did you find that?! I have a weird thing for sheep and NEED that sheep scarf...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smart cannibals don't eat brains.
rhoticity
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007 08:52:45 PM »

I love sheep, too! I saw it here: http://www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/Scarves/Sheep/, but, keen as I am on supporting farmers and such, I wasn't about to spend that much on the kit when I could just figure out the pattern and buy cheaper yarn myself--I wanted to make some changes to the pattern and do it in my own colours, anyway. I think I am going to do a charcoal grey fleece with a taupe face, even if that kind of sheep may not actually exist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wisty.
lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007 12:49:55 AM »

Shocked

this xmas i'm making shoeboxes filled with goodies for my 4 best friends, one of them with a sheep obsession.

*adds to list of stuff to make for casey*

i bet those would look good in seed stitch too. seed stitch reminds me of a fluffy sheep sometimes for some reason  Grin
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007 12:51:18 AM by lady_cyanide » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
rhoticity
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007 01:23:47 AM »

I think there is actually seed stitch in the middle at the part that goes around the neck.

I'm so excited to make one of these, have fun with yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wisty.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007 10:39:35 AM »

I think there is actually seed stitch in the middle at the part that goes around the neck.

I think so too. Good call!
And of course seed stitch is 
row 1:k p k p
row 2:p k p k

over and over
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007 10:41:09 AM by ScotSkipper402 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
madidolly
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007 03:09:19 AM »

I saw this a few years ago in one of those small Vogue knitting books for scarves.  I duplicated it in a creamy loopy yarn for the body and black chenille for the head, ears and feet.  I wanted quick results so I crocheted it.  With the yarn I used you couldn't tell if it was knitted or crocheted.  Funny you should bring this up because the first one was for my granddaughter and now I was thinking of doing one!  These are really cute when done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Sexiest Celebrity Suit Wearers
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Hourglass Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Apple Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Full Bust
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...