A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plus Size Designers need common sense! Sleeves...  (Read 3588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007 11:31:45 PM »

ahhhh--brilliant!  You just gave me the answer on another top of mine that I won't wear because of the sleeves!!!  It is a t-shirt type fabric--sewing in a pretend second layer is perfect!!! duh--why didn't I think of the layering thing?!

I think it'll turn out great. I have several shirts with pretend layers that I love, so that's definitely what I think I'll go for.
I'd love to see yours when it's finished.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007 12:06:28 AM »

Of course you're allowed to be honest!  Smiley

Why did I buy it?
My mom bought it for me (I wasn't with her), it was on sale for $4 and she thought it looked like something I would wear based on the style, colors, and print pattern on it, and she was right. My only problem with it is the sleeves. Plus at $4, I have no problem altering it, I'm just not sure what the best way is.

My arms aren't like insanely jiggly, I'm just self-concious about them. I'm not someone that is proud of my size and wants to show it off no matter how it looks.

It may not have anything to do with the design, but I know personally (and not to offend any plus size girls, I AM ONE!) I find myself questioning the clothes some plus size girls wear. I'm glad they can embrace their bodies and are proud of themselves, but somethings just DO NOT look good.

Thanks!  Smiley

trust me, i dont think plus size girls are attractive, and i dont like being one...its not low self esteem (i have a fantastic personality) but i know what i find aesthetically pleasant...sometimes being big doesnt infringe on the way someone looks, but usually, it does (not faces always) but in this PC world we live in, i just keep my opinions to myself, and i live by the rule (i always will and always have): treat others hwo i want to be treated....i dont say hurtful things JUST to be honest, but if someone asks for my honest opinion, i give it...i dont have a problem hearing it though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Aneesah
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007 05:04:51 AM »

Hehe, I like the idea of fake layers too! It'll be somewhat like this, right?

(Just an old t-shirt I reconned from three different tops.)

And maybe the designers planned on the wearer having something underneath, hence the short sleeves and deep v-neck? (...Or not. ^^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007 08:24:36 AM »

Yeah it'll look something like that, but the v-neck isn't quite as deep. I'm not sure if they intended to wear anything underneath or not. The v-neck isn't so deep you have to wear something underneath, I just have to for school and work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pocketwatch
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007 05:26:03 PM »

"trust me, i dont think plus size girls are attractive"

I think it depends- almost anything I would find cute on a smaller girl would also look cute (scaled up, obviously) on a larger girl- the really skimpy things (not neccessarily cap sleeves, but more like super short skirts or belly shirts) don't make anyone look their best, IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007 05:36:51 PM »

I think it depends- almost anything I would find cute on a smaller girl would also look cute (scaled up, obviously) on a larger girl- the really skimpy things (not neccessarily cap sleeves, but more like super short skirts or belly shirts) don't make anyone look their best, IMO.

There are a lot of things that do look cute scaled up, but sometimes things need to be shaped and cut a little differently when made for a larger girl. Making it wider and longer does not always work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007 09:46:28 PM »

i also said sometimes being big doesnt infringe on the way someone looks.....there are some cute things (jeans can look great on anyone for instance, and there are dresses and shirts and the like at Torrid that look pretty fab) that are great for bigger girls...but not everyone can buy them (i can, but thats really really recent, like as of May of this year) and most people dont wear clothes that flatter their bodies AT ALL...

i would also like to note: i am no looker, and that is because im fat, i CAN however, look pretty for me, which i am not ashamed to say...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007 07:15:12 PM »

I would use a complimentary fabric. Take the sleeves off and use them as a pattern. Use freezer paper, it's cheap. Draw the sleeve you want...longer, fit the pattern to your arm, to make sure it's wide enough, with seam allowances. Then make a whole new sleeve. If you aren't sure what style of sleeve you want, look at some pictures, and draw one before you start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustCheeky
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008 03:35:09 PM »

I've gotten to where I don't even look at shirts that are short sleeved - because they are all like that and I can't stand it!  I LOVE the kimono tops that are popular right now - they are so forgiving for flabby armed gals like me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustCheeky
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008 03:51:08 PM »

trust me, i dont think plus size girls are attractive, and i dont like being one...

I don't like being one either, but I've always been heavy and that is the way I was born.  That doesn't mean I can't be attractive.  Look at Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, Emme from Style, any of the girls modeling clothing for Lane Bryant, Torrid, etc.... they are all plus size and beautiful.  Not to mention all of the non-celebrity girls who are plus size and pretty - it's all in how one carries herself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bakeless Dessert Turkeys
How to Make Strawberry Napoleon
How to Make Cranberry Nut Bread
Marcus Samuelsson Makes Garam Masala Pumpkin Tart
You Won’t Believe What You Can Do With Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...