A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: little newbie crisis...any consolation???  (Read 652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

M.Carmen
« on: August 25, 2007 12:34:34 PM »

Hi!
I have never sewn before but this spring I started reconstructing some t-shirts
sewing some bags, etc...and I am wondering how long do these projects take for you??.

The real question is...I am too slow, clumsy??? because sometimes I spend around 10 hours in reconstructing a t-shirt so maybe it doesn't worth the effort, the time etc... I am learning alone, without any help, just following some tutorials in a foreign language, because I really like to create new ideas but my holidays are over and I am wondering if I am wasting my free time...or maybe if I buy some patterns instead of trying to figure it out "everything" I would finish faster and easier...??

Sorry about my English!!!! Hope you understand what I am talking about Undecided
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007 12:34:59 PM by M.Carmen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystico_tala
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007 01:04:27 PM »

I'm not the kind of person who can whip something up in a day.  Even simple stuff takes me longer than normal, both because I am learning on my own also, and because I like it being precise.
Nothing is a waste of free time if you enjoy doing it!!
If you are making clothes, you might try to buy a few patterns, just so you can understand the basics a little better before trying to put your own stuff together. 
Keep at it!  None of us are experts at the beginning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
mimi123333
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007 01:07:01 PM »

First off... your English is just fine!  Also, I'm learning to sew on my own too and that's an adventure.  When I try to use patterns I find them harder than just following tutorials and learning as I go.  Plus, I think one learns better if they have to try things on their own and challenge their brains.  Quick and simple projects are also nice to start with 'cause then you'll feel like something is getting made.  Try a little bag or purse that's very simple.  It'll build your confidence and keep you loving sewing.  And when you get frustrated it's always good to walk away from a project for a bit and then come back to it.  When you do you'll be refreshed and excited to be working on it again. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Promise me you'll always remember:
you're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem and
smarter than you think"
-- Christopher Robin to Pooh
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007 01:23:20 PM »

I haven't done any reconstruction yet because I'm afraid of this exact issue -- I get frustrated tinkering around and tend to make mistakes with measurements.  For example, when I tried to make a simple A-line skirt with no pattern, I accidentally cut one piece twice as wide as it should have been!

Patterns aren't necessarily "easier," but I think they are helpful when thinking through a project - you most likely won't end up stitching yourself into a corner, if you know what I mean.  They still might take a little futzing to get them to fit just right or customize the garment the way you want, but at least you have the basic shape of the pieces and the basic order of how things should go together.  I would suggest a simple A-line skirt pattern to start out - patterns go on sale at Joann and Hancock for $1, so it's really not too bad even if you just use the pattern pieces and ignore the instructions!   Grin

As far as how long it takes to complete a project..well, when I was first starting out it would take me hours and hours to complete an "easy" or "1 hour" project.  There's nothing wrong with that!  As you get a bit more experienced you'll get a bit faster and make fewer mistakes.  Now I'm a bit faster -- I can probably do the "1 hour" projects in 2 or 3 hours, but I've also become a bit more patient with myself.  I like sewing not just for the finished product, but for the act of sewing - so what if it takes me a bit longer to finish something, or if I have to rip out something and redo it?

Good luck!  It sounds like you are doing great, so keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
M.Carmen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007 02:30:46 PM »

Cheesy Thank you very much for your answers...I feel much better knowing that I am not alone in this trial-error learning process. Your answers really help me keep sewing!!!!

..well, when I was first starting out it would take me hours and hours to complete an "easy" or "1 hour" project.  There's nothing wrong with that!  As you get a bit more experienced you'll get a bit faster and make fewer mistakes.  Now I'm a bit faster -- I can probably do the "1 hour" projects in 2 or 3 hours, but I've also become a bit more patient with myself. 
This encourage me...and remind me that I just need more practice and tons of patience!!!!

Nothing is a waste of free time if you enjoy doing it!!

Living in such a competitive world sometimes I forget that...thank you!!!

I will check Burda's magazine for an easy project to sew...I hope you can see the pictures in a few weeks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007 11:49:46 AM »

Don't get discouraged!  We all had to start somewhere.  My first sewing project was a costume for a renaissance faire.  I spent about four months going over to my sister's every Saturday before I got finished.  I ripped so many seams I felt like the seam ripper was permanently attached to my hand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
M.Carmen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007 12:50:56 PM »

Maripoppins, Thank you very much for your suport...Although I get discouraged sometimes, I am getting addicted to fabrics, tutorials and new ideas...so, I believe I wouldn't be able to give up.. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 2
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 1
Object of the Game in Backgammon
Pieces of the Board in Backgammon
The Basics of Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...