A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,748
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweater guards/clips  (Read 8597 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissykat
« on: August 25, 2007 12:34:55 AM »

I live in cardigans and I have a bit of a thing for sweater clips. They're certainly not in style these days so I've never seen new ones to buy. The vintage ones are usually a little pricey and not quite my style. So naturally, I made a few of my own.

The first one has a pair of little records on them with red labels (a little hard to photograph apparently). The middle one has resin filled with red glitter. The hearts on the third pair are pre-cut wooden shapes that I bought at the hardware store and painted.

I don't love how the ends of the alligator clips show, but I haven't found any shorter ones.  I think I need one with a pair of skulls on it next.

Comments welcome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007 06:18:23 AM »

OMG! I love them! they are all so fantastic it's hard to pick a fav...did the clips come with the chain attached?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007 06:39:30 AM »

With funky sweater clips like this, you could bring them back into style. I love these!

Is there a way to shorten the back end of the alligator clip? I don't have any on hand to check out... Or, does a jewlery supplier sell something similar, but just a touch smaller? Now, I want to make a set!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
hyerac
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007 07:19:30 AM »

I NEVER would have thought to make these... *smacks own forehead*  That's awesome!!!

You could probably find shorter clips if you're not married to the alligator style (with teeth, I mean...)  I wonder if clip earring findings would work?  Like these?  http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201156FY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanuthedestroyer

Let's just try not to fall over in our shoes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007 08:30:47 AM »

Thats super cool! I have never even heard of these so thats probebly why you can't find them in the store. Cheesy but who cares about that if you can make super cool ones like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007 11:35:34 AM »

Thanks so much!  Cheesy

OMG! I love them! they are all so fantastic it's hard to pick a fav...did the clips come with the chain attached?
I hacked up a dollar store necklace for the chains. The clips did come with holes in them, so I all I had to do was attach them with a jump ring.

With funky sweater clips like this, you could bring them back into style. I love these!

Is there a way to shorten the back end of the alligator clip? I don't have any on hand to check out... Or, does a jewlery supplier sell something similar, but just a touch smaller? Now, I want to make a set!
Here's hoping! Cheesy  I haven't really tried to shorten them. The only way I could think of would involve cutting it. I think it would be really easy to just trim off the end with some tin snips, but that would leave a really nasty, sharp edge. I don't know if there would be a better way.  I haven't looked online yet. The only place I could find them here was Michael's and they only have the one kind.

I NEVER would have thought to make these... *smacks own forehead*  That's awesome!!!

You could probably find shorter clips if you're not married to the alligator style (with teeth, I mean...)  I wonder if clip earring findings would work?  Like these?  http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201156FY
Yeah, clip on earrings work great! I always check at the thrift store for cute ones. They don't grip as securely since they don't have teeth, but I find it helps to try tighten the backs with some pliers.  Tie clips work well too, but they're usually longer than the alligator clips if you could find 2 nice ones, you might not even need to embellish them. I've seen some with pinbacks, but I'm always afraid I'd tear my sweater. I might give them a try though, I've got so many different sizes of those that it'd be ideal.

Thats super cool! I have never even heard of these so thats probebly why you can't find them in the store. Cheesy but who cares about that if you can make super cool ones like this!
I'm probably about 50 years too late to be able to buy new ones. Grin But hey, you never know when these things will come back in style, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mezofoprezo

paint MY name on the bathroom stalls.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007 11:39:51 AM »

Those are so cool!! Oddly enough, I haven't seen any of those around... but then I live in Florida which isn't really the Cardigan Capital of the US... but then, I did go to an arts school with lots of people dressing in crazy awesome kitcshiness... anywho I adore those. I might bring them back in Florida! Heck yes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not as easy as it was
or as difficult as it could be
for the Samurai in autumn

My blog!
http://mezofoprezo.blogspot.com
krissykat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007 11:45:49 AM »

Those are so cool!! Oddly enough, I haven't seen any of those around... but then I live in Florida which isn't really the Cardigan Capital of the US... but then, I did go to an arts school with lots of people dressing in crazy awesome kitcshiness... anywho I adore those. I might bring them back in Florida! Heck yes!
Thanks! I've never seen anyone else wear them either. I do sometimes see old ladies smiling at me as if they remember them. (Which is awesome.) Cheesy  I'm all for bringing them back.

I completely forgot about this one. It's made with a pair of vintage clip-on earrings. Much daintier than the alligator clips. I even have a cute little brooch that matches. Orange just isn't my colour though, so I think I've only worn them once.  Sad

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007 11:53:27 AM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Isabella000

and then he took my catnip away!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007 12:07:12 PM »

How about painting the orange petals with nail polish in a more appropriate hue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hooray!
gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007 12:10:05 PM »

I have about a dozen, some vintage and others made from vintage earrings I can't bear to sell on the world-famous auction site.

Then again, I'm one of those old ladies (and a school teacher) who remembers when these were part of every woman's wardrobe along with the requisite white gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indulging in Chocolate Without the Calories
Supermodels Reveal Beauty and Fitness Tips
Boost Your Hairdo With A Big Body Blowout
A Sweet and Shiny Hairstyle How-To
How to Transform Your Makeup Look From Day to Night
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...