A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Innocent smoothie/age concern uk Big Knit KAL (mini Hats)  (Read 13399 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jan1972
« on: August 24, 2007 02:49:33 PM »

Innocent drinks are for the 4th year running raising money for age concern by asking people to knit hats for smoothie bottles.  The hats will be put on bottles to be sold in november.  50p from each bottle with a hat sold will go to age concern.

More info can be found on their web site along with some patterns.
www.innocentdrinks. co.uk/thebigknit/?Page=thebigknit

I intend to knit up some of these, great way to use all those little balls of yarn left from other projects.  Thought it might be good to do this as a knit along and see how many we can make between us.  This year they are aiming for 400,000 hats - raising 200,000 to help age concern.

Although this is a uk charity you can post the hats to them from anywhere in the world, so everyone can join in.

I've had a go at making one of the basic hats and it only took me 15mins (without pompom)  I'm not the quickest knitter, so loads of time isn't needed to join this.

Looking forward to seeing all your smoothie hats.

Janette

Ok, so I have now completed my first one of these.   Didn't have a smoothie bottle to try it on, so here it is modelled by my belgian chocolate milkshake.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007 03:38:48 PM by Jan1972 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007 05:15:15 PM »

i made my first one ! it took me about an hour to knit it and i didn'tcount how long it took to make the pom pom but it seemed to take way too long (making a tiny pom pom was hard)

i have a couple of questions for you if you've done this before or are more familiar with innocent drinks

1. i made mine out of acrylic yarn- in their instructions they use 100% wool yarn, i was wondering if you think they'd mind acrylic hats?

2. my size wasn't spot on- specifically the height- it's a little higher than it says in the knitting instructions. mines is about 4 cm tall (with the brim folded) and about 8 cm wide (the pattern says it should be 3 cm tall and 5-7cm wide). i wonder if it will fit the smoothie??

i just really wish they had these in the U.S. I'd die of cuteness if i saw these on a drink for sale... yes.. even considering i can make them myself.

does anyone know an equivalent sized U.S. drink bottle?

anyway, i love the little hat though, and it's adorable. i knit it in the round on dpn's insead of flat.

used red heart sport with #3 dpns

hat modeled by taco sauce

aww hat modeled by a bunny.

how may do you plan on making?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
Jan1972
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 01:50:33 AM »

It's great that your joining in with this.  To answer your questions,

1.  Type of yarn doesn't matter,  I think they are possibly sponsered by rowan for this, which is why they reccommend that yarn.   

2.  Hight will be fine as long as it is 3cm or more.  If the width is too big or small it won't fit the bottle snugly, It does need to be 5 - 7cm wide when laid flat.  (10-14 right round the brim) try casting on a couple less stitches to rectify this (or use a smaller needle).

I don't know of a drink in the states with the same sized bottle sorry so I cant help with that one.

You must be making your pompoms the proper way,  I cheat on these so this might help speed the pompom making up a bit.
For these hats I cut 2 x 2inch circles and cut a 1" circle out of the middle of them.  I then cut a slit from the outside of the circle to the hole in the middle.  put the two cut circles together and wind the wool round them,  this can be done straight from the ball as the wool just goed through the slit.  I don't wind until the hole is full (that would make it too big)  I just go over the card about 5 -6 times.  Cut and tie as a normal pompom.  This makes a noce 1inch pompom.  I'll try and remember to take some pics of the next one I make to explain it better.

Not sure how many of these I will make.  I now have another 7 waiting for pompoms to be attatched.  My uncle used to drive the mini bus for our local age concern and I know other people who have had alot of help from them so I'll just keep kniiting and see what I have when the time comes to post them.

I love the hat modelled by the bunny,  must find something else to model mine.  LOL.

Janette.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
b1znatch
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007 07:44:03 AM »

I'm joining this!!!
I'm very tempted to make a couple of these for my own bottles just for fun!
I'm terrible at pompoms though, so mine will be kinda wonky, but I'm excited anyway =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anakarina
(*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007 10:18:02 AM »

thanks for the info!

the second one i made smaller i cast on 23 stitches.

i have to figure out how many to cast on to make with worsted weight yarn as that is what i have the most of.

i was making the pom poms that way except for adding the slit on the side, that will make it much easier!

and b1znatch, they also sell pom poms at most craft stores- all pre made !

OH and i have a burning desire to make an earflap style mini hat. i SAW one in last year's flickr pool for this project and IT WAS ADORABLE

link to the pool http://www.flickr.com/groups/supergran2006/pool/

link to the earflap hat (i think it may be crocheted) http://www.flickr.com/photos/54628452@N00/303128113/in/pool-supergran2006/

but i still have no idea really how to make one! i will look up some patterns for real person sized one and go from there
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007 10:20:06 AM by anakarina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST-list
alexremy2006

Hey Bob! Wanna watch me bind off 11,000 stitches?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007 11:59:09 AM »

This sounds really cool! I'm making my first one right now! Smiley That's such a good idea too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

say hi to Peedmont and visit my blog!

http://stickknits.wordpress.com/
anakarina
(*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007 07:21:57 PM »

it seems like the way to go for earflap hat will be following normal hat pattern and then picking up and knitting stitches at the cast on edge at the end to make the earflaps.

i will report back if this works.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST-list
b1znatch
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007 08:32:09 AM »

I may end up just buying a bag of premade pompoms like you said, anakarina, so my hats don't look totally stupid. But I'm so excited to make these since they are so adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheKnittingBee
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007 12:13:16 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm really excited about participating in The Big Knit!

To answer a couple of the queries above - they are indeed sponsored by Rowan, which is why they mention wool yarns. You can use whatever you want to in order to knit them Smiley

And pom-poms aren't necessary. In previous years they have given out pom-poms, but they aren't doing it this year, and say somewhere on the Innocent site that it's fine not to use them.

I saw a nice take on pom-poms, that was just a few stands of yarn sewn together firmly in the middle, and will probably try that on my hats (I hate teeny fiddly pom-poms... but it depends how much stashbusting I'm trying to do with itchy brown acrylic. Maybe I'll decide to make huge extravagant pom-poms with it after all Wink ).

If I might be so bold as to mention this here, I have set up a pledge to raise at least 40 hats, and could I ask anyone interested in knitting at least one hat to maybe sign my pledge? http://www.pledgebank.com/thebigknit07

I've set it up both to raise hats and to raise awareness, so the more sign-ups the better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyTuesday
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007 03:54:42 AM »

Ok, no sniggering please!! lol Roll Eyes  my little effort is a bit different! but it's ok because i've got my mum on the case - she's making some normal ones!

Grin

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007 11:00:02 AM by RubyTuesday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 2/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 1/12
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 3/4
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 3/12
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 34/35
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...