A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help ID quilt pattern  (Read 619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amandas_Sweet_Dream
« on: August 24, 2007 12:29:58 PM »

I know you lovely gals and guys get these kind of questions all the time. But I've looked everywhere I can think to look Undecided

At a leadership conference someone had made a quilt that looked like a stained glass/crazy quilt.
Each of the little shapes were brightly colored and then outlined in black fabric strips and it had a black border. It looked like stained glass but with no specific design
I interested in finding out:
1)the name
2)if not that does anyone have ideas on laying out the pieces in sets that don't repeat each other, but allow me not to have to sew the whole thing in one piece vs block or even large consistent shapes

Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to a lot of fun on craftster.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caecilia42
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007 03:57:12 PM »

The pattern is exactly what you think it is - a stained glass crazy quilt. A quick search turned up a couple crazy quilt books for sale that include stained glass technique. Seems to me like you could learn the general stained glass technique online for free and then make weird shaped blocks and piece them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amandas_Sweet_Dream
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007 06:28:12 PM »

Thanks so much I really did search a lot but I probably didn't type the keywords together correctly. Evey time I looked for stained glass I got really complicated flower quilts.

Smiley Hi my name is Amanda and I am googled challenged Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007 06:37:37 PM »

(everyone) Hi Amanda!
This also sounds like the magic tiles quilt I am making
http://www.kathleenbissett.com/Magic.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007 06:25:27 PM »

Did any of the squares look like this?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebread
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007 07:49:03 AM »

Amanda- Thank you for googling before you asked a question.  A few times now I have answered questions people had by simply typing a few words into Google.
(I check Craftster by hitting the "Recent with Pics" button and sighing and wisting. Wink )
Anaximander- What a beautiful design!  I love the color scheme.  Are there going to be any solid sections of it?  I think it would break it up a little nicer to have black sashing between the blocks, or maybe some solid color blocks in there somewhere.  However, that is just my personal opinion and not really a criticism Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007 01:30:37 PM »

Katiebread - it's here if you haven't seen it already - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195754.0

(rather than threadjacking)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amandas_Sweet_Dream
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007 04:55:43 PM »

Sorry for falling off the face of the earth college started and I didn't have time to get my crafting fix. *sob*
Thanks for all you help, guys. It did look slightly like anaximander lovely quilt except their was black borders around every pane.
I snagged a lot of brightly color fat quarters and I think I going to attempt a simpler amish quilt first. But come summer I will be working on one of these for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007 07:12:26 PM »

If it looked like that, then it's probably something similar called Cathedral Garden - check out my thread - linked above. It is definitely a good idea to start with something a little slower - get some experience with paper piecing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ellen Crosby Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Jeff Nichols Talks About Trainwreck
Bethenny Frankel Talks About Naturally Thin
Crescendo Book Trailer
Regan Hoffman Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...