A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How To Prevent Fading????  (Read 409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethyBess
« on: August 24, 2007 11:04:02 AM »

Four months ago I made some poster sized signs for my church. I printed them on an inkjet printer.   They are in a window that gets a LOT of sun. They are looking really pale now.   I realize that no matter what I do I can not completely stop the fading, but is there a way to slow the fading down?  I was thining maybe a glaze or a sealer???  Right now they are in glass frames.

I'm going to print some new banners and would like any advice you could give me.  I know the sun is an enemy of papers and inks. 

Thank you all for your help!
Bethany

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007 06:35:32 AM »

I know that there are spray sealers/varnishes on the market that have UV protectants in them.  You can probably find them wherever art supplies are sold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007 02:28:01 PM »

Paint will last longer as the pigment is denser. You could print your banners in coloring book format & fill in accordingly. A painted paper banner should last 3-4 times longer than a printed one. Black and shades of blue last longer than reds, yellows & oranges, regardless of whether they are ink or paint.

Cheaper paints, crayons, colored pencils, etc. cost less because less pigment has been put into the product. If you are buying two or three bottles of craft paint (the little 2 ounce ones that come in a hundered colors) I say it's worth spending $1.10 each for the Delta brand versus .77 cents on the cheaper ones because the denser pigments will give you more mileage for your buck.

My dad is a minister, I understand how tiny the budgets can be. But at the same time arguing for investing in things that last is worthwhile, the church is going to be around longer than you, right? : )

Better yet, if these are 'permanent' signs or ones to be used annually in season (sunday school, VBS, standing holiday events) use fabric instead of paper. If they are hanging in a window and not subject to any element but sun a light muslin will work fine and is very inexpensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spicing It Up: Tiger Jambalaya
Doritos Locos Tacos Sales Pass $1 Billion
How to Make Steak and Blue Cheese Pizza
How to Cook Chicken and Dumplings
Discover 5 Breakfast Casseroles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...