A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Real pet becomes sock dog - with tutorial  (Read 11897 times)
Tags for this thread: sock_animal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gilowyn
« on: August 24, 2007 09:48:30 AM »

I just had to share my latest custom order... A family wanted to turn their dog into a sock dog. This is the picture I got for her:

http://www.strumpfkunst.de/img/Custom/luna_original.jpg

And this is the result:

http://www.strumpfkunst.de/img/Custom/luna2.jpg
http://www.strumpfkunst.de/img/Custom/luna1.jpg

Isn't she the cutest? Smiley
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 04:04:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Odd Dotty
Dollymaker and Crafter Ordinaire

Hi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007 09:57:12 AM »

Awww...that is so cute it hurts!  Cheesy Seriously. My heart. It can barely take it! Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007 10:04:44 AM »

I have done sock dogs before, but never one that was meant to look like something special... so this was such a great experience! I even went through my closet to find the perfect nose button - which comes from one of my blazers. A spare, but still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HootHootHope
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007 10:17:55 AM »

awwwww!  cute gift idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MizPants
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007 11:43:07 AM »

So. Cute. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thewritegirl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007 04:29:41 PM »

That is too cute. Would you consider sharing how you did it? I love the idea of making stuffed animals from socks, but I just haven't figured it out yet.

Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gilowyn
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007 12:35:59 AM »

That'll be difficult, as I don't really work with patterns... but I'll try verbatim. Please note that sock dogs are not the easiest sock critters, they are way worse than monkeys - if you just want to get started, check out my site to look at the bunnies and Blimps, those are easiest.

Usually, you need one pair of socks for a sock dog, though I used 3 socks in this case due to the bigger ears and longer tail.

When making a sock dog, you use the socks' natural form, especially the heel. The heels are in this case the dog's tush and the head part between its ears. There are two ways to cut socks - either with the heel folded up, or the way socks come when you buy them, flat on their side. I first do all the cutting, then sew the body parts, then fill, then attach.

http://www.strumpfkunst.de/img/Custom/sockdog_1.jpg

For the body, you lay the sock flat. The opening is where you will eventually put the stuffing and attach the head, the closed part forms the hind legs. Decide how long you want your hind legs to be and cut the toe off. Then fold the sock so the heel is up, and cut down the middle to the heel so you have two legs.

The head really depends on the dog, but you can see on the image how Luna was more of less formed.

The rest of the socks is up for grabs - start with using one of the toe areas to cut two front legs that are as long as the hind legs, and then see what parts are left for the ears and tail.

I sew all parts inside out with a regular back stitch. All of them remain open at one side for stuffing. First start with sewing close the hind legs - this is also where my label goes.

I then attach the tail, which I stuff first, then attach. The body is turned the wrong side, while the stuffed tail is the right side. I make a tiny cut in the tush, then add the tail from the inside and sew it shut. That way, the tail still wags.

The front legs are also kept the right way up and go through from the inside into cuts made below the neck. Those I don't stuff, but sew around so the opening between body and legs remains. If you turn the body the right side out, you should have one piece of body, with an already stuffed tail in place, and loose, open front legs.

For the head, I first close the snout, then part of the back, leaving enough opening for stuffing. I then stuff the head and attach the ears with pins to see where they have to go. I make cut for the ears, then remove the stuffing, turn the head the wrong side up and attach the ears as I have attached the tail with one closing stitch.

In Luna's case, I actually added a tiny bit of stuffing to the base, then embroidered it to ensure that the ears have the correct form.

I then stuff the body and head and close the head with a hidden stitch. Before I attach the head, I attach the button nose and bead eyes.

The head is sewn on 2-3 times. I first attach it to the body opening hem with a ladder stitch, then continue with a ladder stitch to get it closer to the body and in the right position. I usually end up with three rounds to get it nice and even.

I know this is a very confusing tutorial, but it's just so difficult to explain. Smiley My first sock dog looked awful because all the proportions and forms were wrong, after that it got better.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 04:01:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirchita

somewhere over the rainbow....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007 02:07:51 AM »

oh my! i love him
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gilowyn
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007 02:31:04 PM »

It's a she, can't you see? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehummingbird
Is life worth living? It depends on the liver. Eat.

Ladies and Gentlemen... I'm a Cook.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007 07:21:55 PM »

Super adorable! I bet they're going to love her! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mightiest and littlest of them all....

http://www.wists.com/littleplaidpants

I'll swap with you if you wanna swap with me....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fly Stitch Horizontally and Vertically
How to Design Cross Stitch Patterns
How to Stitch Folded Edges
How to Sew a Feather Stitch
How to Embroider Flowers by Hand
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...