A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Day to Preschool - Mama's gift !!!  (Read 2135 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

luxi_here
« on: October 10, 2008 07:06:32 AM »

My sweet little bundle of joy went to school (play school) for the first time in her life. Reason enough for me to sew a new dress for her, this dress was made of left over fabrics after sewing a salwar for my sister (Posted in Clothes section in this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=272235.0)

The material left was limited and this was what i could manage, a mock-wrap skirt and simple top. The fabric has diagonal pintucks.

Snaps were taken when she was in a hurry to go to school and once in school, she never stopped crying and made me cry as well (sounds silly, but i am an emotional person); she came back to me in half an hour which seemed to be an eternity for me and she didn't stop sobbing till we were back home, hence no proper snaps. I am hoping she will be adapting to the new environment in about 10 days from now, i am hoping ....

Snaps

Any tips on how to console my little darling and convince her to have a nice time at play school.... Most welcome and are sincerely requested

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 07:28:24 AM by luxi_here » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute Confessions of a Sew Addict
http://adithisammasews.com/
Munora
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008 07:19:25 AM »

The dress is beautiful. I LOVE the fabric. I want to make a wrap skirt. I don't think it's silly at all that you cried. I would cry too. That's one of the reasons we homeschool our children. I can't let them go. I cry when they get immunizations too. Maybe next time you can stay with her for a little while. Just for a few days till she gets settled in. She'll be OK. It's hard to leave mommy. That's probally all she really knows. She has to learn to trust other care givers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 08:22:41 AM »

That dress is absolutely adorable.  I love the detail on the back, and the pintuck fabric is to die for!

For your baby, don't worry.  My mom ran a daycare, and all kids cried their first few days.  Once she makes friends, and bonds with her teachers, she'll be raring to go, and crying when she has to leave (that, I've been told, is harder!).  My mom always found it best if parents were in and out, and didn't stick around.  It tends to distract the kids, and makes it harder for them to adjust to the different setting.  I'd give it a week, for sure, to let her adjust and settle into her new routine.  She'll be fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
tivaclare
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008 08:46:48 AM »

Beautiful! She looks darling.

As for adapting, she'll get used to it. I worked at a Montessori school for ages 2-5th grade and I agree that with the really little ones, it's best if Momma doesn't stick around. Be cheerful and supportive and she'll soon find others to play with. If she isn't the outgoing type, don't worry, they will find her! The kids who had the hardest time were the ones who had the overprotective mom's who used to hang out in the doorway and wait for the tears to start. I think the kids used to sometimes get upset just because they knew mom was their waiting. (I'm not saying you're one of these, but I've seen them) If she really has a hard time, there's no harm in making her wait another year (you said this is preschool, right?), but I don't think that will be an issue.

Good luck with getting your little one used to school.

The dress is wonderful. I'd keep that for her little ones down the line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DEmomof2
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008 09:28:48 AM »

The dress is beautiful!! 

For school....my son cried every day for almost the entire year of preschool.  He would only cry for a few minutes but he cried every time I would leave him.  He was fine as soon as I was gone and didn't want to come home when school was over!  It's best if you drop her off as quick as possible and don't hang around.  It's harder on the teacher and on your daughter if you hang around too much.  She will adjust and get used to it (and so will you!).  Smiley  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010 06:44:31 PM »

Your daughter is gorgeous! The dress is beautiful as well. Hopefully she adjusts to school quickly and easily. It seems like a lot of little ones (and their moms) have some issues at first but after a while they grow to enjoy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
TeenyBunny
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010 10:06:59 PM »

GORGEOUS outift!!!

I'm glad you got some advice from the other ladies here.  I don't have anything to offer as I'm another homeschooling mom. Hopefully she'll adjust quickly. It's a big change so she probably just needs a little time to get used to the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Began teaching myself to sew and design in Aug '09...one dress at a time!

12/2009 My Etsy shop is now open!
http://www.TeenyBunny.etsy.com
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/TeenyBunny
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TeenyBunny
NEW Blog: http://teenybunnyfashion.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
Easy Lemon Pudding Recipe
Ice Cream and Mixed Berry Popsicle Recipe
Save Time With Pre-Scooped Ice Cream
Turn Your Arnold Palmer Into a Delicious Dessert
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...