A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic craft supplies?  (Read 909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuperLupus
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007 11:40:40 PM »

A good pair of needle-nose or round-nose pliers. You can do wire pieces, manipulate found pieces into your own creation, and loads of jewelry options. here's a tip: wrap the (pinchy end of) pliers in one coat of masking tape. It cushions the grip a tad so you don't get as many dents and dings on stuff.
BUT
The best craft supply ever is an open mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007 06:53:20 AM »

And I saw a glue pen like that yesterday. I wish I had had money to buy it! I'll definitely buy one next month.

They definately are pricey but I usually wait til they go on sale or there is a good coupon to use. That does help.

Another craft supply I would be lost without is a good crafting exacto knife and a cutting mat. I got my cutting mat with the bonus exacto knife which does help and the coupons always help too! There are lots of options for recycled paper crafts!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Lethal_Lollipop
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007 10:00:54 AM »

And I saw a glue pen like that yesterday. I wish I had had money to buy it! I'll definitely buy one next month.

They definately are pricey but I usually wait til they go on sale or there is a good coupon to use. That does help.

Another craft supply I would be lost without is a good crafting exacto knife and a cutting mat. I got my cutting mat with the bonus exacto knife which does help and the coupons always help too! There are lots of options for recycled paper crafts!

Oooh, I have a kind of improvised cutting mat. I use the corkboard part of this bulletin board I had. I never used it, so yeah. Works just as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps would be awesome.
Random PMs are encouraged as well.

"It's the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, Harry."

-Albus Dumbledore
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007 10:04:59 AM »

Oooh, I have a kind of improvised cutting mat. I use the corkboard part of this bulletin board I had. I never used it, so yeah. Works just as well.

Cool! Great idea!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
SpottedFrog
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007 09:15:23 PM »

One question though...how do you keep scissors sharp, or sharpen them?
Is there a tool or something?

I'm a bit of a freak about scissors, I own over 2 dozen pairs....

1) cut only paper, fabric & soft fibers with your scissors (thread, yarn, raffia ribbon, etc). The tips for dulling are very true, hard plastic & heavy cardboard will dull your blades faster, wire & sticks will knick the blades which is worse than dull! I keep a crappy pair just for sticks & cardboard. Get a pair of pliers with a wire nip built in for you wire projects.

2) there are scissor sharpening devices but they tend to not be cheap. You can find them in knife specialty stores. Do NOT use a regular knife stone unless you are very practiced, scissor blades have an angle whereas kitchen & pocket knives are straight blades.

3) good scissors will have a screw or nut at the junction so they can be tightened- this is half of what makes crappy scissors crappy is the blades not held together tight enough.

4) the better care you take the less professional maintainance you will need, unless of course you use them a lot. Yes, I take my scissors to either the repair guy at my local Hancock's or the knife store in the mall where I bought a few pairs. Both places charge $3-4 per pair for regular scissors and $7-8 for pinking shears. Of course I bought the Mercedes-Benz of scissors and have 3 pair of Henckels.

Personally, I like them really sharp and get them sharpened every year, which is a lot. But I use them a ton too. Eventually they will be worn down enough they won't meet at the tips due to professional sharpening being done on a grinding machine, but I will more than got enough use out of them by then.

Oh, the thing about paper dulling your fabric scissors is an old wives tale developed to keep kids hands off mom's good sewing scissors. Everything will dull your scissors eventually, paper is no worse than some coarser or heavy fabrics. The difference between paper scissors & fabric scissors is the shape of the handle, fabric scissors allow the blade to lay flush across a table, paper scisors don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indian Dal Recipe
Indian Paneer Recipe
How to Make Sushi Soy Sauce
How to Make Sushi Rice
How to Pick Fish for Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...