A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WOO HOO My very first official spinning project is FINALLY FINISHED!!  (Read 14040 times)
Tags for this thread: coat , rainbow , craftster_best_of_2007 , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: August 23, 2007 05:03:33 PM »

As some of you may remember, I have been working on my first official spinning project- besides just ambling through a ball or two of yarn.

This is the rainbow coat that I have told you all about since about February.  I had based it upon a photo in CROCHET magazine that I saw (Photo at the bottom for comparison's sake), but I hated the way it looked crocheted, so I had to start from scratch designing it up.  I also changed the form of it, making it fuller and nicer shape to it. 

I have only knit about three official projects in my life- two of them being 15 years ago.

This is the first thing I have done in many years, but I loved my rainbow idea for the spinning yarn that I decided I would force it to work.

All of the yarn in this was hand dyed by me with Kool Aid, Cheap dollar store drinks, and Jacquard Acid Dyes.  I spun it all together, and then just used a little Fun Fur (dollar store find- can you believe it?) on the collar and cuffs mixed in with my multicolored tufted black yarn that I spun up as well.

So, here it is!

I am so excited. I never could start small on anything I am learning to do.  I have only been spinning since September so this is HUGE for me.

Thanks for listening to me gush about it.  I am just so excited I actually FINISHED this.  I actually have to readjust a couple of buttons (so the stripes line up) and then bind up the shoulder seams so that the sleeves sit better, but that is just minor stuff. 

This is the original photo that inspired me to make this coat:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007 04:14:59 AM by caprig » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007 05:06:41 PM »

Wow!  I'm amazed at how much commitment this must have taken!  That's really incredible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
kaachan
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007 05:07:23 PM »

WOW!!  That looks fantastic!!  Be prepared for a lot of attention when you go out, hey? Wink

I can't believe you used KoolAid to dye it.  What does that say about our stomachs.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007 05:09:08 PM »

Wow! The coat of many colors! I'm so impressed by your determination to finish this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mezofoprezo

paint MY name on the bathroom stalls.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007 05:12:31 PM »

!!!!!! You have turned a usually too-bright rainbow into a thing of subtle beauty. How rockin! I adore this, and I am astounded by your skill and patience. Clicking this rocks as I type...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not as easy as it was
or as difficult as it could be
for the Samurai in autumn

My blog!
http://mezofoprezo.blogspot.com
hotbettie
I solemly swear I am up to no good.

Slytherin by choice, Griffindor at heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007 05:13:24 PM »

I am incredibly impressed! and I love the variations of color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007 05:15:46 PM »

That is incredible! The hard work you have put into it definitely shows! And good for you for shopping at the dollar store. Just so happens I've seen the same fun fur at our local Dollar Tree too! I just haven't bought any because I don't know how to knit....yet. ^_< But you've built up my confidence seeing that this is only you're 3rd knit. Either that our you're a superhuman fast learner!

*I'll click on "This Rocks" because it does!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
caprig
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007 05:19:18 PM »

WOW!!  That looks fantastic!!  Be prepared for a lot of attention when you go out, hey? Wink

I can't believe you used KoolAid to dye it.  What does that say about our stomachs.  Shocked

I know, right?

The funny part is that I am the organic woman who goes in the market to buy all organic produce and health food.  Then I would see some Kool Aid on clearance and start screaming and hollering and grabbing fistfuls of it.

The looks I would get at the counter were hilarious.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Then when I told them that I was using it to dye my wool, the looks got even funnier.

HAHAHAHHAA Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The weirdest thing is that the wool did better with Kool Aid many times than with the Acid dyes!  What does that stuff do to the human body - the thought is frightening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spydyrgrrl

off-kilter crafter. anthropologist. milspouse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007 05:20:04 PM »

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful! I love it! I know a lot of hard work went into that, and it definitely shows! Wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smart cannibals don't eat brains.
Xenobia
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007 05:26:24 PM »

Amazing! Those colors are so bright and beautiful. I can't believe you used kool-aid. It looks fantastic and I like it better than that plain white one. I hit the this rocks button.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Movement, Body and Style with Daniel Naumovski
How to Have Hair Like Paris Hilton
How to Have Hair Like Jessica Alba
Products for Your Hair Type
How to Straighten Afro Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...