A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: christmas stockings..  (Read 2926 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_stocking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amyonedge
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007 07:49:34 AM »

I have decided to try knitting a Christmas stocking or two, since this is my first Christmas as a married woman AND in our own home!  I have never knit socks before, so I figure this might be a good way to get the idea of turning a heel and finishing a toe, etc.  This pattern seems to be pretty straightforward: http://www.lunaticcafe.com/Patterns/Christmas%20Stocking.pdf.  I'll post the end result when my first attempt is finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiggy_114
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007 02:29:38 AM »

I quite fancy knitting wee little stockings in sparkly wool to hang on my tree this year. If anyone spots a pattern let me know  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008 03:15:56 PM »

I know this thread is pretty dead, but I thought maybe it's worth reviving--or at least bumping up--in case anyone is looking for stocking patterns for this year.

FWIW, I'll offer my experience from last year. With two skeins of red Bernat Softee Chunky I made the two stockings I mentioned before from the first pattern in prettyfloralbonnet's list; one somewhat smaller, plainer stocking, cobbled together from that and another pattern (probably the Patons one, or it might have just been a "general sock formula" I found); and one little dog-sized stocking for a relative's chihuahua, also a cobbled-together pattern. That left just enough yarn to make a fat pompom; I felt like I got a lot out of those two skeins. The recipients seemed to like their stockings.

I also tried out the Patons Simple Stripe Stocking I posted the link for. I used it with one skein each Red Heart Supersaver in Paddy Green and Cherry Red to make two stockings: one striped like the pattern, except I left off the contrasting stripe in the middle of the foot; and one red except for the heel and toe, and on that one I substituted a mock cable rib for the regular ribbed cuff and made the cuff area longer. I had leftover yarn in both colors. This pattern was also a good, simple pattern to use.

After that I was sick of stockings and didn't make any more. But I one day I might make some more, because my husband would prefer a giant stocking to hold lots of gifts Roll Eyes , so it could still be useful to hear about others' experiences.

Just thinking out loud, but if you're not attached to any particular color scheme, you could do a wildly striped stocking out of leftover odds and ends or yarn. Could be a different sort of stashbuster project. Or a last-minute, "I'm broke" gift/decorating idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Stylist Brad Goreski Shares His Holiday Fashion Tips
Reese Witherspoon Proves the Power of Black and White
Gwen Stefani Gets Festive in Red
3 Ways to Rock 1 Chic Pair of Tuxedo Pants
Top Five Winter Holiday Nail Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...