A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: christmas stockings..  (Read 2910 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_stocking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nyx_slittleDemon
« on: August 23, 2007 09:43:03 AM »

i have to make about 8 or more stockings this year for people...i figured  id knit some to use up some yarn...not sure how big im going to make them and i dont have a pattern..just gonna wing it..BUT i was wondering if anyone would like to do this with me? even if its just one you have to do for a friend boyfriend new baby so on so forth...might be fun to see how some turn out...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brrlracinmom
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007 10:46:45 AM »

I am getting ready to do one for my baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitfitknitting.etsy.com
Knit Fit Knitting
www.knitfitkits.com
BLOG-knitfitkits.blogspot.com
Murphy88

My Mom made and designed my dress!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007 12:09:07 PM »

I just got married and want to knit a couple for my new family..haha..me and my husband. He knits too so we might knit them for each other. I was thinking cream, blue and silver with monograms. What do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nyx_slittleDemon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007 12:57:16 PM »

oo i think that would look so cool. i have a little white christmas tree i only put blue and silver things on and i love it..so to me thats a great idea! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettyfloralbonnet
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007 02:03:52 PM »

I had been thinking of doing this, not sure if I will be able to, it's far off in my list and the baby will be here soon.  Anyways, here's some patterns I had been through, maybe they will help someone here?

http://pickinandthrowin.blogspot.com/2006/05/basic-sock-christmas-stocking-w-satin.html
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/colleen/colleen_lg.html
http://www.wrights.com/wrights/class/needlework/fishermanstocking/fishermanstocking.htm
http://www.canadianliving.com/CanadianLiving/client/en/Crafts/DetailNews.asp?survey=1&idNews=1960&idSM=307&idpub=3
http://www.purlsgonewild.com/blog/?page_id=194

Thats a few, Im sure you can find tons more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
Nyx_slittleDemon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007 03:25:03 PM »

OOOooo thank you for the links! im going to use some of them for sure...i think i can at least..if not...good first try at some stitches...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Murphy88

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007 10:12:01 AM »

Thanks prettyfloralbonnet,

Those patterns are great. I especially like the fisherman's stocking. I can't decide if I want to play with texture or colour though. I saw a pattern in a magazine that I am thinking back on but I can't remember where...

Hmm... maybe I will have to go on a little hunt for it so I can get these things started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nyx_slittleDemon
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007 02:42:43 PM »

i started making one last night..it was the plain one on that list..figured that would be a good start...about 3in done so far...just using scraps of yarn...but it should be fine...i think..lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Murphy88

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007 12:07:19 PM »

I found the pattern I was looking for. It is the Old Fashioned Stocking from Holiday Knits. I can't find a picture of the pattern but I am wondering how to monogram it.

It is cream with a blue toe, blue i-cord trim around the top and has a blue snowflake on it. I was thinking monogram on the front and snowflake on the back? I do so love symmetry though... hmmm...well I am off to buy the yarn for it anyway.

Has anyone made a toe up sock before? Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007 12:17:00 PM »

Quelle coincidence! I decided a while back to make stockings for Christmas, and the first two of prettyfloralbonnet's patterns are on my little list of possibles. Not only that, but I just finished making two stockings--except for the finishing on the second one--from the first pattern.

The other stocking patterns on my list are the easy "Holiday Stocking" with a cable band at the top, the Patons' Simple Stripe Stocking,
and (as a possible alternative to the Patons one) this Striped Christmas Stocking with two or three colors option.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in the "pickin' and throwin'" basic sock stocking pattern prettyfloralbonnet lists, I didn't have any trouble with that pattern at all. I'd never made a sock before, but the directions are very clear and yielded recognizable stockings; I wasn't wild about the look of that pattern and only tried it because I had some bulky red yarn already, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the results. FWIW, I used Bernat Softee Chunky and size US11 (8mm), instead of the recommended super-bulky yarn with US13 needles. (US 10 or 10.5 needles might yield a nicer fabric with that yarn, but I was going for size.) To compensate for the change in width, I changed the length in two spots: where the pattern says knit the leg to 12", I aimed for just a smidgen under 8" and where it says knit until the foot is 5.5-6", I went for about 4". And on the ribbon, I used 7/8" wide ribbon instead of 2", but I think anything from 1/2" to 1" would work, and it took about 1.25 yds of ribbon. I used about 2 oz of yarn per stocking.

I have just enough of that Bernat left that I may do another one like this, I'm not sure. I'm planning to use these to shove Xmas gifts for other people into at Xmas. I still want to do fancier ones for my husband and me. I think stockings are a great learning project.

Oh, and the reason I happened to have that Bernat around--I'm not a big fan of bulky yarns generally--is I was thinking of using this loom-knit stocking pattern. I still think the basic style of that one looks pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
amyonedge
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007 07:49:34 AM »

I have decided to try knitting a Christmas stocking or two, since this is my first Christmas as a married woman AND in our own home!  I have never knit socks before, so I figure this might be a good way to get the idea of turning a heel and finishing a toe, etc.  This pattern seems to be pretty straightforward: http://www.lunaticcafe.com/Patterns/Christmas%20Stocking.pdf.  I'll post the end result when my first attempt is finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiggy_114
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007 02:29:38 AM »

I quite fancy knitting wee little stockings in sparkly wool to hang on my tree this year. If anyone spots a pattern let me know  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008 03:15:56 PM »

I know this thread is pretty dead, but I thought maybe it's worth reviving--or at least bumping up--in case anyone is looking for stocking patterns for this year.

FWIW, I'll offer my experience from last year. With two skeins of red Bernat Softee Chunky I made the two stockings I mentioned before from the first pattern in prettyfloralbonnet's list; one somewhat smaller, plainer stocking, cobbled together from that and another pattern (probably the Patons one, or it might have just been a "general sock formula" I found); and one little dog-sized stocking for a relative's chihuahua, also a cobbled-together pattern. That left just enough yarn to make a fat pompom; I felt like I got a lot out of those two skeins. The recipients seemed to like their stockings.

I also tried out the Patons Simple Stripe Stocking I posted the link for. I used it with one skein each Red Heart Supersaver in Paddy Green and Cherry Red to make two stockings: one striped like the pattern, except I left off the contrasting stripe in the middle of the foot; and one red except for the heel and toe, and on that one I substituted a mock cable rib for the regular ribbed cuff and made the cuff area longer. I had leftover yarn in both colors. This pattern was also a good, simple pattern to use.

After that I was sick of stockings and didn't make any more. But I one day I might make some more, because my husband would prefer a giant stocking to hold lots of gifts Roll Eyes , so it could still be useful to hear about others' experiences.

Just thinking out loud, but if you're not attached to any particular color scheme, you could do a wildly striped stocking out of leftover odds and ends or yarn. Could be a different sort of stashbuster project. Or a last-minute, "I'm broke" gift/decorating idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Need to Know: In Style Sneakers, The Moth, and iTunes Music Festival
How To Apply Blush For Your Face Shape
Pumpkin Palooza: Hottest Beauty Products For Fall
Tips For Lasting Makeup and Fall Hair Colors
Transition Your Skin Care Into Fall in a Few Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...