A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Multi-Colored Star Crayons  (Read 2254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atinynap
« on: August 23, 2007 08:38:54 AM »

Inspired by this wonderful post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=190245.0 I tried my hand at making crayons for nieces' and nephews' Christmas gifts.

(Sorry for the low quality pics. They were taken quickly while my camera was on the verge of dying.)

This is a picture of a dried crayon in the mold we used. I'm not sure I'd ever try any other type of mold. These silicon molds worked even better than I thought they would. Nothing sticked at all!

This is the bottom of that same crayon. We tried making these crayons double layed (two layers of crayons) which I think could make for some really cool coloring effects, but I haven't completely decided if the kids would like them this way. I think little air pockets made the two little "eyes."

The top of crayon 2. I left this one in a little too long and it started boiling. The boiling led to an interesting swirl pattern as well as those little bumps on the top. I will probably put this back in the mold and melt it just enough to make it smooth on this side as well.

Bottom of crayon 2. I think it looks like a little peace sign in the middle.

Yes, they really do "color"!

I really liked how they turned out, but I will probably change some things for next time:
1. I will make sure the don't boil. Interesting effect, but not what I'm looking for on these.
2. I will be aware at how many crayons this sized mold takes. It took a whole box of 24 to make these two crayons (which are "double decker" crayons). I don't think this is a bad deal, since the box was only 20 cents each, but I need to stock up.
3. I probably won't do the marblized color. I like the effect, but it could go either way with the kids. I'm probably going to double up the crayons still, but with the same colors on top of the same colors, so each point is one solid color (a five-color crayon).

For those wondering, I got the silicon molds at the dollar tree. We cooked the crayons at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or so. Sorry I didn't take pics of the whole process.

I'm wondering if the silicon ice molds can be put in the oven because they make some really cute ice molds. I think Hello Kitty crayons could be the cuteness!  Also, I thought it would be so cute to get a plastic alphabet set and push in the kids names into the crayons while they're still warm. I think the kids with bros and sisters would really like this.

The idea of these crayons led to the idea of coasters made the same way, but with those fusible plastic beads. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007 08:43:25 AM by atinynap » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MnkyMama
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007 08:50:02 AM »

very cute!  I made some in just plain muffin tins for my preschool class i used to teach and the kids would fight over them.  It was a great way to use up broken crayons. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gerberagirl
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007 08:52:15 AM »

I believe I was inspired by the same thread of post... these are the crayons I crafted with Arzu for my swap partner's kids (seeing as she recieved the package yesterday I may post freely)

(sorry, I couldn't get the lighting right for them not to look blurry)

We put them in at 230 degrees which was about the melting point to avoid burning the wax
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atinynap
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007 08:53:42 AM »

Those little buttons are so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poohbear92

Young Crafter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007 09:12:29 AM »

i really like this idea, especially how smooth and pretty one side of the crayon would turn out =] olalala, so pretty ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

old enough to know better
young enough to do it anyways.
locamama
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007 09:27:04 AM »

Did you just use a muffin tin?  I have so many broken crayons. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyhandbags
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007 09:42:53 AM »

I've melted crayons before using the aluminum baking cups that you line muffin tins with.  I work with kids and therefore have tons of broken crayons, and it's nice to line a bunch of baking cups up on a cookie sheet and melt everything I have at once.  The only problem is you get those ridges on the sides from the pleats in the cups. 
We put them in at 230 degrees which was about the melting point to avoid burning the wax
Thanks for the temp- I always either burn mine or leave chunks that don't melt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
gerberagirl
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007 09:45:22 AM »

we bought a mini muffin tin at the dollar store, you could get more than one and they would go faster (the cooling time is much longer than melting)

thanks for your comments.. we coined them 'bottlecap crayons' because of their size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007 03:06:33 PM »

That's a good idea!   Those are really fun.  I might have to craft something like that up for my cousin with my old box of crayolas (that yes, I bought in college for a project as a graphic design major but realized prismacolor is my friend).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

black and white photo
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007 03:14:47 PM »

we bought a mini muffin tin at the dollar store, you could get more than one and they would go faster (the cooling time is much longer than melting)

thanks for your comments.. we coined them 'bottlecap crayons' because of their size.
how do you get them out of the metal tin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot a rock band
How to Understand DPI
How to Shoot a Two Year Old Child
How to Shoot a Photography Session
How to Shoot Grads on Location
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...