A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2007 Costume Sewalong (All Costumes)  (Read 53118 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2007 05:15:18 PM »

minnie mouse had a reason to wear her costume
(school carnival)
and since i was at work, my dad took some shots of her so i'd have something to show Smiley

the ears were bought from the disney store (yay clearance!)
and the shoes were bought from wal mart, the bows were removed, and then they were spray painted yellow.
underneath is a black long sleeve shirt, black tights and a poofy slip.

http://i21.tinypic.com/2eogz2c.jpg
apparently, minnie mouse is getting back at the cat Tongue
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 08:16:42 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

explodingfruit
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2007 08:03:58 PM »

SO PRECIOUS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emisaurus

« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2007 08:08:35 PM »

SO PRECIOUS!!

lol. thanks!
all i need to do now is find her some white gloves.
and everything will be complete Cheesy

aand i guess finish my top.
and put dexter together Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #343 on: October 29, 2007 10:03:28 AM »

I finished my Red/Dead Riding Hood costume for Saturday night! Since I've already been out gallivanting in it, and I've posted a thread, I'll just leave you with the link to check it out! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=204725
THIS ROCKS   Logged

how_german
« Reply #344 on: October 29, 2007 10:25:20 AM »

A horrible tragedy occurred concerning my costume so all my plans for halloween came to a screeching halt this weekend  Cry. That is...until I decided to stop pouting and actually tried to solve the problem. (Stressful crafting is always the most productive, isn't it?)

Last night I began planning and making my new costume, made entirely from my stash. I'm not allowing myself to buy anything considering how much money already went to waste on the first one. I'm going with the whole creepy creature-from-the-black-lagoon bit.  It's turning out pretty well so far.  I'll post pictures later. Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2007 02:40:42 PM »

how_german, OUCH! it always hurts to have to just admit defeat. Good luck with your re-do. I hope you like it much better than your original idea! (And then I hope you get to use the leftovers from your oops for something wonderful, too.)

Here are my two, a princess and Obiwan, dressed for the church festival, where they ran games and gave out candy with the rest of the UNcostumed middle-school youth group. (The high schoolers dressed up as requested, but the middle schoolers wouldn't. What is
that about?!)
My daughter:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2354/1826952803_210c2cd8e7.jpg

The dress (a combination of Butterick B4571 and 4377) took about NINE yards because the of grain requirements. I threw tons of oddly shaped bits away.

Things I learned:
  • that CHEAP fabric isn't necessarily worth it: it was under $2/yard and was clingy and picky and too light to even know I was holding. I spent a lot of time chasing it around. And it was so sheer that I had to improvise a slip that showed through at the waist and looked ugly. Argh.
  • to check necklines on big-girl patterns intended for my not so big girl. The little white dickey on her dress was an as-we-walk-out-the-door improvisation when I realized just how low that neckline was! YEOW! She was actually stitched into the dress by the bra-straps by that point, so I had to try and catch just the lining while it was on her. Very fun, very stress-free way to begin an evening surrounded by hoardes of screaming kids.
  • Allow enough time and recognize the limitations of my abilities. I cut this dress out Saturday afternoon and had it finished by Sunday night. If I ever have to do anything like this again, I'll leave at least a week so I can do some fitting when my daughter is actually at home.

• Everybody ought to have one of those little eyelet plier tools. Made short work of the lacings in the back. Thank God. By that point, it was after midnight and I was beginning to realize just how in-over-my-head I was! My husband even wandered in, wondering if there was something else she could wear instead.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2227/1827549073_cb99ae1c35.jpg
My son:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/1800033965_35bce7c4a8.jpg

My ds was Obiwan or maybe Anakin once before when he was seven, so that costume was a breeze, even though the new, bigger pattern didn't include pants or boot covers. I remembered what to do for boot covers to fit his tennis shoes, thank goodness, and used a pj pattern for the pants. The whole thing took about three hours to make, on nice sturdy cheap fabrics from the clearance tables. Whole thing cost about $6, and the pattern was $.99 on sale. My kind of costume, yessiree.

The cloaks are from previous years, and they wear them all the time as bath robes, of all things.
[/list]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 08:18:39 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
ongir
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2007 06:39:22 PM »

Our Halloween party was Saturday night.  It got to a point where I didn't want to work on my dress anymore so I decided that "crazy Ophelia" would have frayed edges on every part of her dress. . .

Dead Hamlet

I made his shirt using Simplicity 4219 pretty much to the letter except for the lacing, blood trickling out of his mouth, and "dead eyes"

Dead Ophelia

I made the dress altering Simplicity 4055 view A.  I made the overlay go all the way to the floor as I loved the fabric so much!! It looked like it was water damaged and it had flowers on it!  I also didn't cuff the sleeves, but left them fluttery. I also added a sash.

I made my head wreath with silk flowers and pipe cleaners. 

I was super pleased with how my makeup turned out.  I put on a lot of eye makeup then spritzed my face with water so it would streak down my face.  Lots of powder and no lipstick makes for one very pale dead Ophelia.  I moussed the hell out of hair to keep it "wet" throughout the night.  These pictures were post party so itsn't as dramatic as it had been a few hours earlier.   

Close up so you can see the fabric.   

It was a bit fun as every other girl at the party was something sexy, and tried very hard to be appealing, while I tried the exact opposite - highlighting dark circles under my eyes and trying to look as bloated as possible. 

Also, this was the first time I've sewn actual clothes by myself, used interfacing, and put in elastic! I'm very pleased with the experience, and I think I'll venture into making actual clothes
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 06:45:07 PM by ongir » THIS ROCKS   Logged
emisaurus

« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2007 07:22:50 PM »

as for costume update.
my pirate outfit is stitches away from being finished.
and i bought the liquid latex to make my scar.

i just got done test spraying my brother's hair orange.
which we also learned will have to be the first thing done
so that the orange doesnt get on his white "lab coat"

with that said,
i'm about to go chain myself to the sewing machine
to get everything done Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outofthequestion
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2007 06:45:21 AM »

I reconstructed a tee shirt for my DD pirate costume... Here it is:

I reconstructed a tee shirt for her du rag/scarf (No tutorial, I just winged it)... I also made her an eyepatch using this tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/ENZ1K4JKVFETOMLFL5/

Here are the du rag and eye patch:

I made my other DD a nurse costume using ViolentJaynes nurse tutorial... I don't have a good picture of the dress, but I made a nurse hat and eye patch for her to be the nurse on Kill Bill as her costume. Here's the tutorial for the nurse hat:

http://sewing.about.com/library/blnurse1.htm

Heres Jaynes tut: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=128459.0

Here they both are:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2007 12:18:37 PM »

outofthequestion, how sweet! Great costumes on lovely children!

I love the "hook" hand, too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why You Should Create Your Own Makeup Rules
Tamira Laboy: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
AJ Schulz: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Alyssa Wallace: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
AJ Schulz: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...