A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2007 Costume Sewalong (All Costumes)  (Read 51164 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenangelcat
« on: August 23, 2007 07:52:06 AM »

Halloween is right around the corner.  Has anyone started their costumes yet?  

I'm a novice sewer and I consider this an ambitious project.  My sewing machine is always giving me grief so I'm crossing my fingers that it works long enough to put my costume together.

I'm throwing a vampire/slayer/victim themed Halloween party this year and will be a vampire.  It took me forever to find the right pattern because I will be about 4 months pregnant by Halloween and will probably have a baby bump.  

This is the pattern I found.  It's the red/black one.

I seems fairly easy, no zippers or anything complicated involved.  I bought some gorgeous fabric for it and am waiting for the lace I ordered on ebay to be delivered.  It took me 3 hours to cut out the patterns and the fabric.  Here's some pics of the materials.  The dress will be made from this burgundy taffeta with the exception of the top overlay of the bottom sleeve and the belt which I'm making out of this awesome black sheer (almost velvety) fabric that I found.  Fabricland had all different patterns but the skull and roses seemed most appropriate.  

I'm so excited, I really hope I don't screw this up!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 05:41:55 AM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spydie
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007 08:00:23 AM »

The costume is gorgeous!  Nice selection of fabric and lace.  I would join in on the sewalong but 1. I already chose my costume and 2. I would need to edit the pattern too much to fit me. Undecided

I hope it turns out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShimmeringFae
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007 08:51:19 AM »

i love it and you havent even started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenangelcat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007 06:41:22 PM »

What costume did you pick Spydie?  Are you sewing it youself?  If so add it to the sewalong, it's for all costumes not this pattern.  

I couldn't wait for the lace and started sewing the dress tonight.  Because of the stiffness of the fabric it look quite different from the pattern pic.  I also made the largest size (mistake) so it's really roomy/flowy.  I made it longer than called for, again because the fabric is heavy and it works better with more length.  I also made the belt differently, didn't like the way the pattern had it.  All I have left to do is add the lace and make the sleeves.  

Here's how it looks so far;

(Ignore the bra, it'll be hidden by the lace.

Looking forward to seeing some costumes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 05:42:08 AM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowyangel
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007 08:02:53 PM »

jenangelcat sassy number you have on there girl!

I love the idea of doing a costume sew along! I made my gladiator warrior outfit last year and can't wait to make my sexy gangsta getup this year too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy .com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
Glinda.The.Good
Good Witch of the South

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007 10:12:34 PM »

So, this sew-along is for ALL costumes? I'd love to join!

I'm a novice sewer, too, and I'm nearly positive I'm biting off more than I can chew with this, but I'm going to be Little Bo Peep. I bought all my fabric and the shepherd's crook today. I also have my under-pinnings (corset and hoops) already, and the straw hat I'm reconstructing into a bodice.

I'm waiting for the pattern to go on sale before I buy it, but I'm probably going to buy this one:
http://simplicity.com/assets/5375/5375.jpg (I'll make the yellow one, but it'll be altered beyond recognition.)

Here's the fabric and my undies:

The fabric is 90% polyester, 10% cotton. Not the nicest feel, but for a dollar a yard, I'm okay with it.

Here's my base-- minus the red and white stripped tank.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007 12:50:10 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenangelcat
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007 04:58:19 AM »

Corset and hoops!  That is ambitious.  Lol my costume doesn't even have a zipper!  I have a zipper foot but I can't figure out how to attach it to my machine.

I'm really hoping my lace comes in today.  Bring on the costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenille
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007 11:23:13 AM »

Ok, I'm totally up for this. I'm gonna be Shanna from "JEM and the Holograms" this year. I don't have an actual pattern since it was a cartoon, but I have a workable idea for the dress and I'm figuring out the jacket in my head right now. I'm even gonna dye my hair purple. (I always wanted to do that!) When I blowdry my hair out it look just like hers or as my friend says "Roseanne Roseannadanna"from Saturday Night Live. lol. Here's a pic of my non-blowdried hair and a couple different shots of Shanna I put together into 1 pic. If you have any ideas about the jacket, let me know, I can use all the advice I can get!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.b logspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
jenangelcat
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007 11:28:15 AM »

Love it!  I used to have a waterbed for my Jem dolls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007 11:48:26 AM »

ooh how exciting. i'm game for this too!

i'm currently very stressed about my ambitious costume:

i'm using this pattern (not terribly accurate, but eh)

i'm in the process of getting joanns to cooperate and get my order of a gold white type color silk dupioni in   (grr) and i'm using a pink satin taffeta for the skirt

samples, if you're interested Cheesy :

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/cigarettes_and_valentines/?action=view&current=ore040.jpg

i had to go out of state to get the right trim (but alas, it is perfect)
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/cigarettes_and_valentines/?action=view&current=ore038.jpg
and this, which i'll have to alter a little
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/cigarettes_and_valentines/?action=view&current=ore039.jpg

all in all i still have A LOT of things i have to do/ buy, ie, broad cloth and boning for the pocket hoops and the actual fabric, but i'm hoping that i'll be able to pull it off!  i'm pretty much a novice, but i've made some things in the past

everyone elses projects look like a lot of fun!

EDIT: oh yeah, i'm making pockets too, with embroidery!  haha i'm a little geeked out.

pockets so far:

oh yeah again, i'm going as Adrienne de Lafayette, General Lafayette's wife, hence the "patriotic" embroidery.  not my particular view, but the theme! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Getting into Hogwarts
How to Make an Underwater Video
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Learn About the Film Noir
10 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big-Screen - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...